Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 122336 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #360 on: October 08, 2022, 02:12:38 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
A game where no touchdowns were scored by either team on PRIMEtime, pitiful.

I wonder if he has an injury like Bree’s or Big Ben that made them
Much less inaccurate towards the end of the career. I was at the game and he was missing basic throws.

« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2022, 09:56:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup
That game was an abomination.  I said it a few weeks ago.  Hackett is in over his head.  Horrible coach.   They had that game in the bag in regulation and blew it. 

Also, as a BC alum, its sad seeing Matty Ice become a shell of himself.

Yeh.  I don’t mind a hard fought, low scoring game.  But the only reason this game was low scoring was because of absolute offensive ineptitude, poor decisions and poor play calling.  That the Broncos fans were leaving before an OT speaks volumes.
Yup

« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
That game was an abomination.  I said it a few weeks ago.  Hackett is in over his head.  Horrible coach.   They had that game in the bag in regulation and blew it. 

Yeh.  I don’t mind a hard fought, low scoring game.  But the only reason this game was low scoring was because of absolute offensive ineptitude, poor decisions and poor play calling.  That the Broncos fans were leaving before an OT speaks volumes.

I’ll qualify this by saying I am not even a broncos fan, but the narrative that broncos fan left before overtime was not even remotely accurate. A bunch of fans went to the bathroom but it was 98% capacity in overtime still. It’s funny how the tv network can create a completely false narrative with a single camera shot. Believe me it was hell getting out of that stadium cause it was packed to the gills.

« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2022, 06:31:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
All protocols on Tua were followed, but they are changing the protocols to provide more player safety.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #364 on: October 08, 2022, 06:50:34 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
They should have kicked and the only reason they didn't was the backlash from the 68 yarder they tried a couple of weeks back.  Wilson was awful in that game.  Couldn't put your faith in him.  Kick the FG, hope you stop them and get the ball back with enough time to move into FG range again.  That was the play for the Broncos there.
You are a big math guy. Going for it was decidedly on the math side (I explained earlier). Ironically you literally supported the ravens going for it in a similar situation against the bills a week ago. Kicking the field goal here was even worse cause you lose with a mere field goal if you kick it (bills would have tied). Kind of funny

Also: hope you get the ball back to win is absolutely hilarious. There was 2:30 left and the colts would run or do safe passes to take it down 1:20 before they ran their third down play. This is some you realize how to manage as a 12 year old in madden (admittedly sometimes coach fail this test, but very unusual.)
Couldn’t agree more CelticsClay. I had a huge argument with a friend the other night who agreed with Moranis. I was dumbfounded. If you kick that FG your chance of winning probably drops to no more than 10%. If your goal is to tie you kick, otherwise you go for it. Also, imagine the lack of confidence your offense realizes you have in them after kicking. Not good for the remainder of the season. That said, I would’ve called a running play.

The Ravens should have kicked the week before because a FG puts them ahead. Again Harbaugh shows his defense he had no faith in them. If you have the chance to take a lead with 4 minutes to go, you do it. Plain and simple. Also, make the call that implies you trust your team. Otherwise you have bigger longer-term issues.

« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2022, 07:40:56 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2576
They should have kicked and the only reason they didn't was the backlash from the 68 yarder they tried a couple of weeks back.  Wilson was awful in that game.  Couldn't put your faith in him.  Kick the FG, hope you stop them and get the ball back with enough time to move into FG range again.  That was the play for the Broncos there.
You are a big math guy. Going for it was decidedly on the math side (I explained earlier). Ironically you literally supported the ravens going for it in a similar situation against the bills a week ago. Kicking the field goal here was even worse cause you lose with a mere field goal if you kick it (bills would have tied). Kind of funny

Also: hope you get the ball back to win is absolutely hilarious. There was 2:30 left and the colts would run or do safe passes to take it down 1:20 before they ran their third down play. This is some you realize how to manage as a 12 year old in madden (admittedly sometimes coach fail this test, but very unusual.)
Couldn’t agree more CelticsClay. I had a huge argument with a friend the other night who agreed with Moranis. I was dumbfounded. If you kick that FG your chance of winning probably drops to no more than 10%. If your goal is to tie you kick, otherwise you go for it. Also, imagine the lack of confidence your offense realizes you have in them after kicking. Not good for the remainder of the season. That said, I would’ve called a running play.

The Ravens should have kicked the week before because a FG puts them ahead. Again Harbaugh shows his defense he had no faith in them. If you have the chance to take a lead with 4 minutes to go, you do it. Plain and simple. Also, make the call that implies you trust your team. Otherwise you have bigger longer-term issues.

It's an interesting theme that you don't show your offense or defense that you lack faith in them.  What if you actually do lack faith in them?   

« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2022, 07:56:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It's an interesting theme that you don't show your offense or defense that you lack faith in them.  What if you actually do lack faith in them?
putting your faith in your QB doesn't mean you don't have faith in your defense and kicking doesn't mean you don't have faith in your QB.

Those decisions should be gut decisions based on how the game has been going.  I thought the Ravens should have gone for it, because the Bills were almost certainly going to score based on how that game had been going.  I thought Denver should kick based on how poor their offense had been playing and similarly how poor Indianapolis' offense had been playing.  Sure Denver kicking probably would have ended the game in a tie, but that is a lot better than the loss they ended up taking.  And I had very little faith they were going to pick up the first down after watching that debacle of a game.  The thing about math is it never has context. It doesn't watch games.  That can certainly be good, but also can be bad.

« Reply #367 on: October 08, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1492
All protocols on Tua were followed, but they are changing the protocols to provide more player safety.

Doctor gets fired, protocols to be changed. “Yep, everything’s fine folks, nothing to see here.”

:laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #368 on: October 08, 2022, 09:20:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Doctor gets fired, protocols to be changed. “Yep, everything’s fine folks, nothing to see here.”

the NFL has come out said they would not have fired the doctor and were disappointed the NFLPA did.

« Reply #369 on: October 08, 2022, 09:24:39 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3069
  • On To Banner 18!

the NFL has come out said they would not have fired the doctor and were disappointed the NFLPA did.

Pretty easy to say after the doctor was fired officially   :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #370 on: October 08, 2022, 10:05:08 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

putting your faith in your QB doesn't mean you don't have faith in your defense and kicking doesn't mean you don't have faith in your QB.

Those decisions should be gut decisions based on how the game has been going.  I thought the Ravens should have gone for it, because the Bills were almost certainly going to score based on how that game had been going.  I thought Denver should kick based on how poor their offense had been playing and similarly how poor Indianapolis' offense had been playing.  Sure Denver kicking probably would have ended the game in a tie, but that is a lot better than the loss they ended up taking.  And I had very little faith they were going to pick up the first down after watching that debacle of a game.  The thing about math is it never has context. It doesn't watch games.  That can certainly be good, but also can be bad.
On the Broncos game, we both agree that kicking meant going for the tie. I personally think a) that shows a weak spine and b) you are going to need 10 wins to make the playoffs. A tie doesn’t really get you there. I would argue vehemently against anyone, like my friend, who claims that the best path to victory was kicking.

In the Ravens game, that call is a closer one but as a general rule you should take any lead with 4:00 to go you can get.

« Reply #371 on: October 08, 2022, 10:29:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup

I’ll qualify this by saying I am not even a broncos fan, but the narrative that broncos fan left before overtime was not even remotely accurate. A bunch of fans went to the bathroom but it was 98% capacity in overtime still. It’s funny how the tv network can create a completely false narrative with a single camera shot. Believe me it was hell getting out of that stadium cause it was packed to the gills.

Glad to hear that.  It sure was a bad look the way they framed it.  But still, that’s a lot of people all getting up to take a leak when they could all potentially miss a game ending play.
Yup

« Reply #372 on: October 08, 2022, 10:50:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the union fired the doctor unilaterally as they were allowed to do. NFL had no say in it.

« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2022, 12:29:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

the union fired the doctor unilaterally as they were allowed to do. NFL had no say in it.
The more stuff comes out the more I think everything was done right during the Sunday game. It was a bad landing and the stumbling looked bad but after examining Tua, it was determined there was no concussion. It looks bad, but as I said earlier, an upper back injury could just as well caused the stumbling and body movements Tua was doing.

Then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Tua passed concussion tests by Dolphins team doctors.

Thursday night's game happens, another bad hit, Tua seizing and needing to be carted off and he is diagnosed as concussed.

The world seeing the vid from both games decides they all want to play doctor and say Tua was concussed on Sunday and there had to be shady stuff that happened to allow Tua back in that game and to play on Thursday. The NFL and NFLPA hate the PR disaster so start an investigation. Instantly the UNC is fired unilaterally by the NFLPA and the changes that get imposed to the protocols are suddenly for more than for just concussions.

Why?

The decision to allow Tua to play is made by both the UNC and Dolphin team doctors. So why fire the UNC and not the Dolphins medical people. Results of the investigation that are leaking are that the UNC followed all protocols properly. If Tua was concussed why are the protocols now including non-concussion injuries.

To me, this still comes down to what I originally thought. The docs got it right Sunday, but because the world aren't doctors and Tua is concussed on Thursday the public thinks the NFL screwed up on Sunday because Tua was concussed. Not caring that the doctors got it right, the NFLPA scapegoated the UNC to appease the masses and now the protocols can be changed to include other injuries, injuries like Tua had on Sunday to his back that affected motor skills, that would have kept Tua out the rest of that game so that another PR nightmare doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:31:36 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2022, 01:12:55 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

The more stuff comes out the more I think everything was done right during the Sunday game. It was a bad landing and the stumbling looked bad but after examining Tua, it was determined there was no concussion. It looks bad, but as I said earlier, an upper back injury could just as well caused the stumbling and body movements Tua was doing.

Then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Tua passed concussion tests by Dolphins team doctors.

Thursday night's game happens, another bad hit, Tua seizing and needing to be carted off and he is diagnosed as concussed.

The world seeing the vid from both games decides they all want to play doctor and say Tua was concussed on Sunday and there had to be shady stuff that happened to allow Tua back in that game and to play on Thursday. The NFL and NFLPA hate the PR disaster so start an investigation. Instantly the UNC is fired unilaterally by the NFLPA and the changes that get imposed to the protocols are suddenly for more than for just concussions.

Why?

The decision to allow Tua to play is made by both the UNC and Dolphin team doctors. So why fire the UNC and not the Dolphins medical people. Results of the investigation that are leaking are that the UNC followed all protocols properly. If Tua was concussed why are the protocols now including non-concussion injuries.

To me, this still comes down to what I originally thought. The docs got it right Sunday, but because the world aren't doctors and Tua is concussed on Thursday the public thinks the NFL screwed up on Thursday because Tua was concussed. Not caring that the doctors got it right, the NFLPA scapegoated the UNC to appease the masses and now the protocols can be changed to include other injuries, injuries like Tua had on Sunday to his back that affected motor skills, that would have kept Tua out the rest of that game so that another PR nightmare doesn't happen again.
Great assessment Nick. One minor correction. The NFLPA began their investigation prior to the TNF game, not after.