Author Topic: Bulpett: Brown, Celtics Could Seek June Divorce  (Read 5891 times)

Bulpett: Brown, Celtics Could Seek June Divorce
« on: February 01, 2022, 04:46:12 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/jaylen-brown-trade-rumor-nba-draft/

Seems to be conflicting claims (see quotes below) but I figured it's worth posting because Bulpett actually has sources often.

Multiple sources have told Heavy.com that, absent the team getting its act together and playing more to its potential, Brown could be the one to acknowledge that the mix isn’t right and seek a move.

Said one personnel man, “Who knows if we ever get a real chance to trade for a player like that? But if you do, you’d better be ready to move fast.”

Celtic sources insist they’re not floating Brown’s name in trade talks, and word back from other clubs confirms that such is the case.

“Put it this way, we know we’d have to give up A LOT to get a Jaylen Brown,” said an exec.

Re: Bulpett: Brown, Celtics Could Seek June Divorce
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a direct result of Jaylen reading a bunch of reports about how Boston plans on dumping Schroeder into air at the deadline to duck the lux tax and otherwise sitting on the TPEs and Brown going "the hell you will". Can't punt on another season of the Jays, gotta be buyers over the next week+.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
Lol a rival exec trying to stir up crap. That's all this is.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 05:22:11 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

I don't know, Jaylen was 23 in the ECF, watched the team let Hayward walk over tax concerns, missed last playoffs injured, watched Fournier walk over tax concerns, and now he's 25 and the team's talking about dumping salary and punting because obviously the team has another 7-8 years of the Jays to get it right.

I'd be annoyed at the ownership group cheaping out and taking me for granted too.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 05:23:41 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Annoyingly this is the kind of crap that seems to always suddenly escalate violently into being true in the NBA landscape recently

See Kawhi, Fultz (weird injury)...and others

Though there being ample evidence to the contrary (Boston being openly opposed to breaking up the Jays, and Jaylen among others insisting they have faith in the team), in contrast to those other rumors

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 05:25:28 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Steve Bulpett's like -- "oh ****, it's been a week since I wrote my last article... I gotta write another one of these ones about absolutely nothing, or they'll wonder why they're payin' me!!"

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We act as if the league doesn't know "the J's" are a disappointment. When are folks gonna get it through their heads? "The J's" are not a big deal. Because while thought of as two bright shinning stars on the hill around here...they're known to underachieve in general as a star duo, and the league knows it... it's not a big secret. 

Just look what the Cleveland Cavs have done with a lineup that includes no player on the level of either of "the J's." Even with injuries the Cavs are heading for a playoff appearance. How about Charlotte? Working with 2 Celtic castoffs we rid ourselves of to concentrate on "the J's" are making noise. The Phoenix Suns, have one player thought of to be on level with either of "the J's" have the best record in the league.

Nobody is saying the duo is without merit, just that they don't play consistently well together, mostly because they have the same game almost exactly.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
Whole lot of maybe wrapped in speculation.  But I would like to see what a godfather offer for JB might look like. 

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 05:42:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25583
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bulpett or not, this is typical Heavy.com clickbait.

Jaylen may ask for a trade, based on extremely vague sources?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I don't know, Jaylen was 23 in the ECF, watched the team let Hayward walk over tax concerns, missed last playoffs injured, watched Fournier walk over tax concerns, and now he's 25 and the team's talking about dumping salary and punting because obviously the team has another 7-8 years of the Jays to get it right.

I'd be annoyed at the ownership group cheaping out and taking me for granted too.

Jaylen is in his prime now at 25. His game is primarily based on his athletism so I'd say his 24-29 years time frame is his prime before we can expect a drop off. I'd expect Jaylen is pretty disappointed with the current state of the team.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I doubt it. I still believe we are a year out from this happening. Summer 2023 I could see this happening.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
So here's the thing, what Bulpett writes is broadly true of literally every star player on a bad team with 2 years (or less) left on their contract. They all could, conceivably, decide to ask out. NBA personnel people broadly speculate about whether they will all the time, its literally been done constantly with Beal for a year and a half. That's just kind of how the NBA works.

Is Bulpett getting this directly from Brown himself or his people? Or is he just hearing from people looking at the situation and speculating that it could happen based on the circumstances? 
The first thing would be news, the second thing isn't. Now that doesn't mean we don't post it, obviously, because this is a forum for discussing basketball. But it makes a pretty large difference in how much it matters.

In this case the "sources" are informed speculation, buts that not really news. Its no different than all those stories about "rival front offices" speculating that brown may be available.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Jaylen isn’t going anywhere.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
First, I believe this to be speculation, but I had a strange conversation with a friend who is in the NBA national media just before the season started. As usual, I was all amped on the Celtics and he seemed quite negative in regards to Jaylen's desire to be in Boston. I doubt Jaylen is his best friend or that he's had more than a few conversations with him, but I would have thought people outside of Boston (again, before the season) would be more optimistic about the future of 'The Jays'.