Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 68875 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Is there a landing spot for Simmons?

I for one am stumped.
It depends on what they really would take.  Lots of teams would acquire Simmons, they just haven't wanted to pay the price the Sixers currently have for him.

I think it also depends on the fit. Simmons has to fit on a team as he needs the ball in his hands. Philly is also in win now mode so they can't just take back picks and prospects they need win now guys.

That’s what they want but whatever they get they won’t be as good . I don’t dislike Philly but this is beautiful that all that purposeful tanking and hets they are.  Embiid is SOOOO gone. Give it a year . But i think  it will be before that. Philly questioning him publicly instead of taking the fake political stance.. huge consequences.

Embiid just signed a HUGE extension. He isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2021, 09:28:50 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I for one am stumped.
It depends on what they really would take.  Lots of teams would acquire Simmons, they just haven't wanted to pay the price the Sixers currently have for him.

I think it also depends on the fit. Simmons has to fit on a team as he needs the ball in his hands. Philly is also in win now mode so they can't just take back picks and prospects they need win now guys.

That’s what they want but whatever they get they won’t be as good . I don’t dislike Philly but this is beautiful that all that purposeful tanking and hets they are.  Embiid is SOOOO gone. Give it a year . But i think  it will be before that. Philly questioning him publicly instead of taking the fake political stance.. huge consequences.

Embiid signed a supermax extension a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Philly's happy with him and he enjoys playing there.

The problem with the Simmons thing is Philly thinks he's their key to getting Lilliard or Beal, but neither of those guys has formally asked out and their teams aren't trading them until they do. So the Simmons situation is deteriorating while they play the waiting game.

IMO, the obvious trade structure is there: Ben to Portland for CJ McCollum. There'd be other moving parts of course but that swap makes the most sense for both teams. Philly would get a lead guard to take pressure off Embiid, Portland gets a DPOY candidate to help their horrific defense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826

I for one am stumped.

Embiid signed a supermax extension a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Philly's happy with him and he enjoys playing there.

The problem with the Simmons thing is Philly thinks he's their key to getting Lilliard or Beal, but neither of those guys has formally asked out and their teams aren't trading them until they do. So the Simmons situation is deteriorating while they play the waiting game.

IMO, the obvious trade structure is there: Ben to Portland for CJ McCollum. There'd be other moving parts of course but that swap makes the most sense for both teams. Philly would get a lead guard to take pressure off Embiid, Portland gets a DPOY candidate to help their horrific defense.

If you can trade Beal for Simmons you do it... All signs point to him leaving, doubt you can get better value than that for him.

« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I for one am stumped.

If you can trade Beal for Simmons you do it... All signs point to him leaving, doubt you can get better value than that for him.

Agreed, but the Wizards aren't dealing Beal until he tells them he's leaving. When does that happen? Around the trade deadline? That Philly situation seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better with Simmons saying he's not reporting to camp so can they wait for Beal?

In recent years when a star wanted out - like Jimmy in Minnesota and Harden in Houston - the locker rooms situations got ugly.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

I for one am stumped.

Agreed, but the Wizards aren't dealing Beal until he tells them he's leaving. When does that happen? Around the trade deadline? That Philly situation seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better with Simmons saying he's not reporting to camp so can they wait for Beal?

In recent years when a star wanted out - like Jimmy in Minnesota and Harden in Houston - the locker rooms situations got ugly.
but Jimmy and James reported, if Simmons doesn't report then he won't be in the locker room.  And I do think Philly is good enough that they can let this play out and not call his bluff.  Philly isn't winning a title without Simmons, but they can absolutely still be a playoff team as currently constructed without Simmons, so they can wait until they find a deal they like.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I for one am stumped.

but Jimmy and James reported, if Simmons doesn't report then he won't be in the locker room.  And I do think Philly is good enough that they can let this play out and not call his bluff.  Philly isn't winning a title without Simmons, but they can absolutely still be a playoff team as currently constructed without Simmons, so they can wait until they find a deal they like.

Simmons doesn't have to report to camp to cause issues. Media is going to ask his teammates about him as long as he's not there. And you can be the most professional person in the world, you're going to get sick of constantly talking about a guy who's not there especially in that market where reporters are going to make a story out of everything you do or don't say.

And Philly will likely still be good enough to be a playoff team without Simmons or an adequate replacement, but probably won't be in contention for the #1 seed. Again, I don't see that playing out well in that market. The team takes a perceived step back while a max contract guy is on sitting out.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Idiot boy, A Sherrod Blakely, saying there's a chance for Simmons to Boston if Simmons says he wants to play with Brown and Tatum. I see no scenario where Philly moves Simmons to Boston without getting Brown back. They just won't do it.

« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Idiot boy, A Sherrod Blakely, saying there's a chance for Simmons to Boston if Simmons says he wants to play with Brown and Tatum. I see no scenario where Philly moves Simmons to Boston without getting Brown back. They just won't do it.

Blakely seemed like a pretty decent guy, but he may be the worst sports journalist ever.  He makes stuff up, but unlike others who do the same thing, none of his stuff is plausible. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2021, 02:39:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233

It's possible by the end of October but it would be a total dump for Philly to a division rival. Philly can get some starter-level players at any time they are just holding out. They aren't holding out for our scrapes or the return of Al Horford who they paid to get rid of.

« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
We need to inflate Marcus's value enough that they think Marcus can take Philly over the top then trade Marcus for Ben, not Jaylen.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We need to inflate Marcus's value enough that they think Marcus can take Philly over the top then trade Marcus for Ben, not Jaylen.
Smart cannot be traded till January 20 cause of his recent extension. Schroder cannot be traded till December 14.

Personally speaking, I'd love us to go after Simmons, but it just doesn't make sense right now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:50:12 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Not trading Smart's clutch 3- point and FT shooting for a non-shooter.

« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd trade Smart for Simmons in a heartbeat. I'd actually be willing to include anybody in that deal, but the Jays.

(Again, we can't trade Smart till Janurary 20.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:03:08 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2021, 03:03:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'd trade Smart for Simmons in a heartbeat. I'd actually be willing to include anybody in that deal, but the Jays.

(Again, we can't trade Smart till Janurary 20.)

You also have to figure the cost of each player...

« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
My Ben Simmons trade for the day is Simmons for Love, Sexton, and a pick and a pick swap. Win now mode for Sixers and the pick and swap can be put in another trade. Helps the Cavs get out of the basement. This works in the trade machine on Fanspo.