Author Topic: 2021 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 37492 times)

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2021, 12:34:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Whoa, Juhann Bergerin??

WHO???
Athletic French wing

Stash pick?
Most likely. Still only 18 and has a tonne of physical upside. His build, size, wingspan and athleticism remind me of Jaylen (not at all comparing their ability to play ball)

He moves like Jaylen. I was thinking the same thing as I watched him.

He is more explosive than Jaylen..and demonstrate the ability to finish through contact.

Great. If only he knew how to shoot.  :-\
His shooting is quite comparable to a young JB actually. Better from 2 and from 3, worse from the line. I don't think using a 45th pick on an athletic raw 18 year-old is the end of the world.
It's also not a good pick when prospects like Boston and Cooper were available at #45 and you're not really going to stash Bergerin anyways.
Cooper & Boston both had serious question marks too, that's why they were available. Cooper is a really poor 3 point shooter, has a weak in-between game, and his defensive ceiling is quite low IMO. Boston had some of the worst shot selection I'd seen at the college level in some time, and his body needs a heap of work. Not too bothered we missed either of them.

I am annoyed we missed Livers and Kessler Edwards by the smallest of margins though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2021, 12:43:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
What's the trade count?  Most of us were predicting about 9 or 10. It seems like double that.

« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I definitely did not think Koprivica would be picked

« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2021, 12:51:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
And we are done! All the picks are in the OP, but not all the teams are updated with where they've been traded too. Couldn't keep up while at work.

« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2021, 12:54:34 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
The Nets had a lot of picks.

« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2021, 12:56:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Whoa, Juhann Bergerin??

WHO???
Athletic French wing

Stash pick?
Most likely. Still only 18 and has a tonne of physical upside. His build, size, wingspan and athleticism remind me of Jaylen (not at all comparing their ability to play ball)

He is more explosive than Jaylen..and demonstrate the ability to finish through contact.

His shooting is quite comparable to a young JB actually. Better from 2 and from 3, worse from the line. I don't think using a 45th pick on an athletic raw 18 year-old is the end of the world.
It's also not a good pick when prospects like Boston and Cooper were available at #45 and you're not really going to stash Bergerin anyways.
Cooper & Boston both had serious question marks too, that's why they were available. Cooper is a really poor 3 point shooter, has a weak in-between game, and his defensive ceiling is quite low IMO. Boston had some of the worst shot selection I'd seen at the college level in some time, and his body needs a heap of work. Not too bothered we missed either of them.

I am annoyed we missed Livers and Kessler Edwards by the smallest of margins though
I mean it's not like Bergerin doesn't have serious question marks as well - his body needs a ton of work and his shooting is also really poor (heck he's just a poor shooter in general lol). Cooper is seriously elite in playmaking and passing while Boston has some scoring skills while being a pretty good athlete with nice physical tools. Obviously both are older and there's a good argument that Boston and Bergerin aren't that far apart now that I'm looking at it, but Cooper is really someone we should have went for imo - his playmaking and passing is pretty rare even though he has pretty big defensive concerns and not much of a shot or in-between game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2021, 12:59:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Whoa, Juhann Bergerin??

WHO???
Athletic French wing

Stash pick?

I mean it's not like Bergerin doesn't have serious question marks as well - his body needs a ton of work and his shooting is also really poor (heck he's just a poor shooter in general lol). Cooper is seriously elite in playmaking and passing while Boston has some scoring skills while being a pretty good athlete with nice physical tools. Obviously both are older and there's a good argument that Boston and Bergerin aren't that far apart now that I'm looking at it, but Cooper is really someone we should have went for imo - his playmaking and passing is pretty rare even though he has pretty big defensive concerns and not much of a shot or in-between game.
I'm just not too worried. I don't think Cooper would have gotten the minutes nor touches here that he needs to develop, especially if Yam wants to come across. I have Begarin as higher than Boston, I really just could not get enthused about how he played at Kentucky.

Here's hoping Begarin can make the necessary adjustments. Would like to see him just focus on defence with the athleticism and length he has

« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2021, 01:13:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
It’s like Danny Ainge was in Celtic draft room. I think Austin is Celtics international expert. Also think stashing was important to keep roster spots open. I expect a lot more trades coming up.

« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2021, 02:00:42 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Are the Celtics bringing Austin Reeves to camp?

« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2021, 02:14:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Whoa, Juhann Bergerin??

WHO???
Athletic French wing

Stash pick?

How anyone can be so sure that any player chosen in the mid 2nd round is so much better than another that it makes that pick a bad pick is beyond me.

You're talking mid 2nd round. Most 2nd rounders don't become anything in this league. I just don't see any scenarios where you can call a mid 2nd round pick a bad pick. Their all lottery tickets in this range of the draft.

« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
3 best draft
Golden State
Indiana
New Orleans

3 worst draft
OKC
Houston
Toronto
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2021, 07:58:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Draft night enthusiasm/hysteria will last another week, until SL starts.  Then it will be the season of buyer's remorse when teams see how unready some of these guys are.

« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
Are the Celtics bringing Austin Reeves to camp?

Austin Reaves has agreed to a 2-way with the Lakers I believe.

« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
So the Celtics come out of the 2021 draft with:

Moses Brown (via trade)
Juhann Begarin

I think that is pretty good.  Someone who has already proven a level of usefulness at the NBA level and a young prospect with nothing proven but lots of potential.

People forget that we got Brown for the #16 pick.  We did not just throw it away to dump Kemba.  Moses should be tracked to see how he does against the players we may have gotten with the pick, as part of the ongoing assessment of the trade.  I predict he is going to be much better than any of the picks in the say 16-20 range.

« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
So the Celtics come out of the 2021 draft with:

Moses Brown (via trade)
Juhann Begarin

I think that is pretty good.  Someone who has already proven a level of usefulness at the NBA level and a young prospect with nothing proven but lots of potential.

People forget that we got Brown for the #16 pick.  We did not just throw it away to dump Kemba.  Moses should be tracked to see how he does against the players we may have gotten with the pick, as part of the ongoing assessment of the trade.  I predict he is going to be much better than any of the picks in the say 16-20 range.
I agree! Plus I think Moses will have a very good career here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin