Author Topic: The Kemba trade. What does it Say about Brad?  (Read 4238 times)

The Kemba trade. What does it Say about Brad?
« on: June 27, 2021, 12:43:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 What does it really say about Brad and his thoughts and objections to the roster construction this past year.

What does this trade Tell you about Brad.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:41:21 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: The Kemba trade. What does it mean to you
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
nothing other than he doesn't feel constrained to wait until draft day to pull the trigger on a deal.

some people will twist the deal into justifying how they feel about Danny which is what I think you're trying to do.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:02:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
nothing other than he doesn't feel constrained to wait until draft day to pull the trigger on a deal.

some people will twist the deal into justifying how they feel about Danny which is what I think you're trying to do.

Well then you would be wrong.  It's completely natural to have disagreements with draft picks. Free agents choices that your superior makes.

Brad was not happy with the roster construction.  He knew we needed more size. Getting a 6'10 center and a 7'2" Center for a 5'11" player tells me he thinks we need more size.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 01:10:01 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

Well then you would be wrong.  It's completely natural to have disagreements with draft picks. Free agents choices that your superior makes.

Brad was not happy with the roster construction.  He knew we needed more size. Getting a 6'10 center and a 7'2" Center for a 5'11" player tells me he thinks we need more size.

Danny was trying to trade Kemba as well, so...

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:59 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

As he should. It was Danny's last mistake even signing him. 140 million for a Sub six footer that can't play defense. 

.now he's knees falling apart was not Danny's fault.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 02:00:52 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Danny was always trying to make trades, but rarely made them. IMO he never would have made this trade and given away the draft pick. Danny's strength was identifying the best talent at the very top of the draft. He never missed. I'm hoping that Brad's goal is to bring in that third star that will make us a real contender. Why shouldn't someone like Beal want to come here, play with his close friend, and compete for a title?

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Danny was always trying to make trades, but rarely made them. IMO he never would have made this trade and given away the draft pick. Danny's strength was identifying the best talent at the very top of the draft. He never missed. I'm hoping that Brad's goal is to bring in that third star that will make us a real contender. Why shouldn't someone like Beal want to come here, play with his close friend, and compete for a title?

Agreed. Danny Ainge ruined the celtics trade possibilities by his propensity to rip.off other teams and generally wouldn't fairly negotiate.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Agreed. Danny Ainge ruined the celtics trade possibilities by his propensity to rip.off other teams and generally wouldn't fairly negotiate.

Danny ruined the Cs trade possibilities by actually ripping off other teams - so much so that nobody wanted to trade with him in fear of being Ainged.

As for what this trade says about Brad, I'll wait and see if this Kemba/OKC report about him being on the move 'imminently' is true. If they actually get something for him, then the deal was a big F. If they need to give up the pick we gave them, then I'll think more optimistically and hope for the best from Moses. I love his potential.

Re: The Kemba trade. What does it Say about Brad?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
It tells us he saw an opportunity to give the team more flexibility over the long term and took it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
It’s pretty clear that Kemba is going to get moved by OKC at some point.  I think the return OKC gets could tell us something about Brad’s ability as a GM at this stage.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

I think this.  Brad wanted more size and he got it in this trade.  The caveat is size with some skill and you can debate just how much skill (shooting, scoring, passing, etc.) Horford has at this point but that is what he went out and got.  He also got a promising young raw big with no real offensive skill other than dunking but nothing wrong with that.

What I don't think you can infer with any of this is that there was some big disagreement between Danny and Stevens over either the need for size (Danny had come right out and said this) and the preference to trade Walker.  A desire to trade Walker was not said out loud but wasn't the fact that Danny tried to trade Walker what was supposed to have caused Walker to be miffed?

So Danny was trying to trade Walker and Danny wanted size that can shoot.  Brad did a trade, that may well have already been well in the works.  That Brad wanted to get more size on the team and move on from Kemba is not a departure or some new thinking.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 11:31:54 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Nobody knows the real story about the Celtics' management changes. Was Stevens kicked upstairs to change coaches and utilize his guaranteed $30M contract? That's one scenario I've seen in the media. Makes sense, but it could be more than that. Walker, for one, apparently was a problem in the locker room. Maybe Stevens was, too. Maybe other players. You don't know. It does seem as though some players had stopped listening to Brad, which is not a good sign for any coach.

And then there was Stevens' guaranteed $30M contract. And Danny Ainge, who hadn't won a title in 13 years and has had some bad luck with injured FAs--both Hayward and Walker.
But Danny also has made some bad moves the past few years--like not trading Hayward to the Pacers for Turner and McDermott, letting Horford go to the rival Sixers for an extra contract year, and trading Rozier for Walker (Rozier has turned out to be the better player). Seems that Danny forgot about his success formula for the '08 Title by switching to a lower cost rebuild through the draft. He has Smart, Tatum and Brown to show for it in 13 years. A solid young nucleus. But nothing else seems to have worked after Horford and Irving left for free agency. He has failed repeatedly to replace Horford up front with a rim protector. Robert Williams has taken 3-4 years to develop, and he's not durable. Up front height is important for the playoffs. 

So maybe Danny decided to retire and play golf. Good decision for him and his health.  And now Brad is GM. Is he pulling the strings?  If so, he has made a good trade for two bigs and hired a very promising coach. Horford, of course, is a great fit. We'll see how the new coach uses Moses and Robert to develop a solid defensive interior game that's needed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:03:08 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293
The team knew the plan since Feb or so. To me, Ainge’s fingerprints are all over the Kemba trade and the Udoka hiring. Later moves will probably indicate a bit more how Brad differs from Danny.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
That he has guts

Not only trading a popular player from the locker room. But also a 1st round pick to complete the deal.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 12:14:32 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
We knew he was smart ,  but could he do the tuff jobs of firing and trading .  Especially good popular dudes like Kemba Walker .  Sometimes doing what’s best for the business is cold .

no title was coming with Kemba contract and his worn out knees. It was job one to get him traded.

It part of the job,  to produce a winning product and titles for Boston.  He started to right the ship once again.