Author Topic: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)  (Read 27890 times)

Re: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3224
Alright folks.

Seems as though, for drinking game purposes, we're taking a drink when he says "Defence", and emptying the glass when we hear "pillars".

I'm a fan.

We'll all die!

« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2021, 09:09:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Any truth to the rumor …he said ‘Hello hello..I’m the new guy’ lol

« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2021, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

I loved her in Boyz N the Hood. She still looks great 30 years later! Udoka is a boss!

« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751

Worth the price of admission.
Having Nia in the stands is a big pickup.

Between her, Udoka, and Horford, this team just got a lot better looking. And we already had some handsome guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
Might get overlooked with everyone talking about the press conference (or maybe has already been posted), but James Posey wrote a nice article congratulating Udoka, but also giving a nice inside look in how the NBA helps players transition to other roles like coaching, and what it's like as a former player trying to get a head coaching job.  Pretty short, easy read, but insightful.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/boston-celtics-hiring-ime-udoka-as-nba-head-coach-is-step-in-the-right-direction
TP, great little piece from Posey.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2021, 03:03:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2021, 03:17:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Between her, Udoka, and Horford, this team just got a lot better looking. And we already had some handsome guys.
Al's sister Anna is a really beautiful woman.

« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2021, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Al's sister Anna is a really beautiful woman.

Yeah… Cs are a bunch of nice looking guys.

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Nice interview with Ime on Zolak & Bertrand.  Among other things:

1. He spoke very highly of Smart, and said that he is very much a part of the future.
2. He spoke very highly of Rob Williams, and said they had spoken a lot, and that he is not concerned with his injury history.
3. Mentioned that the Nets focused on attacking guys other than Smart and Tatum. (uh oh Fournier)
4. Said that he thinks this team with some free agents has the foundation to compete with the Nets. Also with the further development of its young guys.
5. Emphasized wanting to structure the team defensively, particularly guarding the 3 point line better.

My takeaway:  Ime may be luke warm on the Celtics trying to re-sign Fournier.  Obviously he didn't say this, but I'm extrapolating here from the info that was revealed.

Link:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/06/29/celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka-brad-stevens-is-no-threat-to-his-coaching/

« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2021, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

1. He spoke very highly of Smart, and said that he is very much a part of the future.
2. He spoke very highly of Rob Williams, and said they had spoken a lot, and that he is not concerned with his injury history.
3. Mentioned that the Nets focused on attacking guys other than Smart and Tatum. (uh oh Fournier)
4. Said that he thinks this team with some free agents has the foundation to compete with the Nets. Also with the further development of its young guys.
5. Emphasized wanting to structure the team defensively, particularly guarding the 3 point line better.

My takeaway:  Ime may be luke warm on the Celtics trying to re-sign Fournier.  Obviously he didn't say this, but I'm extrapolating here from the info that was revealed.

Link:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/06/29/celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka-brad-stevens-is-no-threat-to-his-coaching/

Thanks for the recap.

I worry he may be focusing too much on defense. Too old school. I am not convinced this works as well as it used to.

At least he did make some remarks about the passing stats and how they need to improve.

« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Link:

Thanks for the recap.

I worry he may be focusing too much on defense. Too old school. I am not convinced this works as well as it used to.

At least he did make some remarks about the passing stats and how they need to improve.

We were 22nd in 3-point defense last year.  It’s not a major statement to say we could benefit from defending the 3 a bit better.

« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2021, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743

Link:

Fournier is a good defender though. Why do you assume he was referring to him? I'd think Kemba was the most obvious choice of who the Nets were attacking as a defensive weak spot.

« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Link:

Fournier is a good defender though. Why do you assume he was referring to him? I'd think Kemba was the most obvious choice of who the Nets were attacking as a defensive weak spot.

They went at Fournier a lot, and he played almost double the minutes of Kemba.  I think Fournier is a pretty safe guess as being one of the culprits.

« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2021, 07:19:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Link:

They went at Fournier a lot, and he played almost double the minutes of Kemba.  I think Fournier is a pretty safe guess as being one of the culprits.

No way they bring him back

Ime would need a costco size aspirin by his side

Mediocre defense

« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1492
https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka-joins-the-show-tom-brady-and-the-dolphins-what-movies-have-you-seen-10-times-6-29-hour-2/

Udoka was on Zo and Beatle earlier today

Wyc will be on 98.5 at 5pm today

Yeah, so... Marcus Smart is not going anywhere.

Udoka said during the interview that he considers Marcus as one of the pillars of the team. Said that what Smart bring is invaluable and that he is the heart and soul of the team at times. While on the select team  he was the Only guy that really wasn’t scared playing vs the USA national team.  Very vocal leader, brings an edge and toughness. He’s a foundational piece and what he does for Jayson and Jaylen is invaluable in my eyes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:33:24 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.