4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 70377 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2021, 10:22:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hm. Having been thinking about this a little bit more. I'm not sure we'll actually be able to grab the top-tier of available HC talent. If we assume that this season wasn't just a horrific fluke, this is a gig that has:

• A team with pretty bad chemistry
  • Kemba's contract relative to his play
  • Relatively few options for the front office to improve the roster in the short term*

*(miraculously trade Kemba, keep one or the other of Smart & Fournier because ownership probably won't pay to keep both... and that's about it)

The front office is also run by a first-time GM who:
  • Used to be the head coach
  • Certainly played some part in the bad chemistry
  • Is widely regarded as good with X's and O's but player management was an issue... and is now in a position where he won't do any X's and O's but will absolutely need to do more player management.

The only positives, really, are that Brown and Tatum are ridiculously talented basketball players. But there are a lot of ways that the season could go poorly next season, and the new HC is going to be more on the chopping block than the new GM.
not so sure Brad's not going to have a short leash for his tenure.  I believe his contract played a part in his promotion rather than bringing in a more-experienced front office person.  Brad may get a grace period this season by Wyc to get a plan together for the future but if he ends up floundering after 2 seasons with no clear plan for improvement in place (that's actually working) then I could see the team cutting bait on Brad when he's owed 2 less years on his deal.
Jeff Goodman thinks this move was driven entirely by contract.  He has like $30MM left on it.  Meanwhile Stephan A Smith is went bonkers that the failing coach was given a promotion.

I agree with Goodman.  The most logical answer is that the team didn't want to invest big money in a new head executive who would inevitably want to fire Brad, resulting in a whole lot of dead money.

There's no way that BS was the best available candidate.  He's simply the best available candidate that we already owe $30 million to, whether he's working for the franchise or not.

It cracks me up that this is Wyc's version of "win #18 or die trying".  We went cheap, and I expect we'll continue to go cheap while racking up annual $90 million profits.  The guy is a venture capitalist who markets himself as a "real fan".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hm. Having been thinking about this a little bit more. I'm not sure we'll actually be able to grab the top-tier of available HC talent. If we assume that this season wasn't just a horrific fluke, this is a gig that has:

• A team with pretty bad chemistry
  • Kemba's contract relative to his play
  • Relatively few options for the front office to improve the roster in the short term*

*(miraculously trade Kemba, keep one or the other of Smart & Fournier because ownership probably won't pay to keep both... and that's about it)

The front office is also run by a first-time GM who:
  • Used to be the head coach
  • Certainly played some part in the bad chemistry
  • Is widely regarded as good with X's and O's but player management was an issue... and is now in a position where he won't do any X's and O's but will absolutely need to do more player management.

The only positives, really, are that Brown and Tatum are ridiculously talented basketball players. But there are a lot of ways that the season could go poorly next season, and the new HC is going to be more on the chopping block than the new GM.
not so sure Brad's not going to have a short leash for his tenure.  I believe his contract played a part in his promotion rather than bringing in a more-experienced front office person.  Brad may get a grace period this season by Wyc to get a plan together for the future but if he ends up floundering after 2 seasons with no clear plan for improvement in place (that's actually working) then I could see the team cutting bait on Brad when he's owed 2 less years on his deal.
Jeff Goodman thinks this move was driven entirely by contract.  He has like $30MM left on it.  Meanwhile Stephan A Smith is went bonkers that the failing coach was given a promotion.

I agree with Goodman.  The most logical answer is that the team didn't want to invest big money in a new head executive who would inevitably want to fire Brad, resulting in a whole lot of dead money.

There's no way that BS was the best available candidate.  He's simply the best available candidate that we already owe $30 million to, whether he's working for the franchise or not.

It cracks me up that this is Wyc's version of "win #18 or die trying".  We went cheap, and I expect we'll continue to go cheap while racking up annual $90 million profits.  The guy is a venture capitalist who markets himself as a "real fan".
Also a guy whose ownership group plunged a historical Italian football club 300-400 million Euros in debt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
According to Scalabrine on his Sirius show this morning, around the trade deadline, Ainge went to ownership and told them he was probably going to step down.  He said Wyc almost immediately went to Stevens and asked him about taking over for Ainge.  It wasn't until that conversation that Stevens even thought about it, but apparently it became a voice in his head and the more he thought about it the more he wanted to do it.  Stevens apparently didn't see a single one of his high school sons basketball games this year and that irked at him and Stevens believes the President job will provide him less travel and a bit more flexibility so he can be a better father.  Scal also said that this had nothing to do with money from the C's end.  That they love Stevens mind and think he will excel in this role.  Scal also thought Stevens would be in the job for over a decade (unless he just isn't any good, which he didn't think would happen).  Stevens is not just taking this as a stop gap and the C's weren't offering it to him as some sort of stop gap.  Everyone legitimately thinks this is a good idea and it has been in the works for months.  Scal also said Ainge was still going to be around for a couple of years and help out when asked or needed, including things like the pre-draft workouts.

I have no idea how tuned in Scal actually is, but it was a fascinating listen.

Scal also said that everyone, including the players, really respect and like Kara Lawson, so she will definitely be on the short list if she is interested. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2021, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
According to Scalabrine on his Sirius show this morning, around the trade deadline, Ainge went to ownership and told them he was probably going to step down.  He said Wyc almost immediately went to Stevens and asked him about taking over for Ainge.  It wasn't until that conversation that Stevens even thought about it, but apparently it became a voice in his head and the more he thought about it the more he wanted to do it.  Stevens apparently didn't see a single one of his high school sons basketball games this year and that irked at him and Stevens believes the President job will provide him less travel and a bit more flexibility so he can be a better father.  Scal also said that this had nothing to do with money from the C's end.  That they love Stevens mind and think he will excel in this role.  Scal also thought Stevens would be in the job for over a decade (unless he just isn't any good, which he didn't think would happen).  Stevens is not just taking this as a stop gap and the C's weren't offering it to him as some sort of stop gap.  Everyone legitimately thinks this is a good idea and it has been in the works for months.  Scal also said Ainge was still going to be around for a couple of years and help out when asked or needed, including things like the pre-draft workouts.

Scal also said that everyone, including the players, really respect and like Kara Lawson, so she will definitely be on the short list if she is interested.

thanks for the write up

as I wrote on another thread

Danny on T&R stated that he doesn't think Lawson would be a candidate. She basically just started her gig at Duke (Covid causing delay)....  It is hard to be a coach in the NBA and experience is instrumental  (getting fired is actually a good thing).

Ultimately it is up to Brad, but it would be a risk

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

After watching his commentary over the years, I don’t think Scal is very plugged in at all.

And according to another poster citing Danny, Kara Lawson has already been ruled out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2021, 01:08:23 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303

After watching his commentary over the years, I don’t think Scal is very plugged in at all.

And according to another poster citing Danny, Kara Lawson has already been ruled out.

To be fair to what Scal reportedly said, it depended on if she was interested. Maybe she is ruled out already because she's committed to Duke and wasn't interested in the job.

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
I voted Kenny Atkinson, but I'd be happy to give Chauncey Billups a chance too.

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sam Cassell feels like a really good choice to me as I think about it more.

Played in Boston before, won a title here.  Friendly with KG. Title experience going back to Houston. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287

Played in Boston before, won a title here.  Friendly with KG. Title experience going back to Houston.

I'm always in favor of bringing back people who have been here before. I think that Cassell would be a good choice.

The one guy who isn't getting mentioned is old friend Adrian Griffin, who is working for Nick Nurse.

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2021, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I voted Billups, but I'm switching to Cassel or Atkinson...I liked that Brooklyn team's spunk.  But Brad imo will pick someone who can mimic his philosophy to some extent (not fully of course).  So who knows?

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294

I'm always in favor of bringing back people who have been here before. I think that Cassell would be a good choice.

The one guy who isn't getting mentioned is old friend Adrian Griffin, who is working for Nick Nurse.

One of my favorite players for the short time he was with the Celtics. He has a son who should be in the league shortly too.

« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2021, 02:14:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Big Shot Billups, Big Balls Cassell or Big Brain Tommy Ammaker (my first choice)!!

So I voted "someone else".

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Big Shot Billups, Big Balls Cassell or Big Brain Tommy Ammaker (my first choice)!!

So I voted "someone else".

Someone else is second in the poll so far. They would be a very popular pick.

I hope they wait until after the playoffs to see if one of these very good playoff coaches gets fired for no good reason, like what happens every year.

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Cassell looks like a smiley guy

But if you listen to his interviews these days... he sounds tough

- Dont be late
- scorers mindset adjustment

Check out a session between him and Austin Rivers

Maybe its what the doctor ordered. As this team has definitely gotten softer

« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

This thread contains many conflicting speculations about what was happening in the brains of Wyc, Danny, Brad and others.  Reality is we know nothing about their thought processes and their motivations which in all likelihood are more complex than one single driving factor.  Scal's explanation may be accurate -- but who knows how much is just him speculating.  I guess speculation with limited information is the lifeblood of blogs and certainly sometimes the speculation of a poster turns out to be correct -- but I just think situations like these often have more facets and more complex thought processes than people address in their blanket conclusions as to why this or that happened.   

I look forward to this change regardless of why it happened (not that why it happened doesn't matter) -- I was dreading the off-season doldrums waiting for a possible trade or 2 that may or may not happen.  Now there's a new person at the helm with (probably) a new approach and a new coach to shake things up...   A little excitement after the Nets dominated us and Kyrie rubbed it in.