Author Topic: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21  (Read 38348 times)

Re: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21
« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
why dont they do this all game????

It’s on Brad, too little too late per usual

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

You’re not wrong but sometimes messages do need to be sent.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

What exactly is the coach’s job then?

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?

The coach needs to use playing time as the carrot and the stick. If you play the way he wants you get time, if you don't you sit. That's a constant at ever level of basketball. Brad just keeps giving time to certain guys and just doesn't to guys who are on the bench that come in they bust a gut playing hard! If Smart wants to coast until the 4th don't play him until the 4th.

You have players on this roster making as much as much as $34m a season. If you have to use a carrot stick of any type to get effort, you're in trouble in a way the coach can't fix.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?

You just described the assistant coach’s job. The HC is there to manage. The game, motivate players, press the right buttons during the game, work the referees, call timeouts.

« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
They’re treating Fournier as though he was some sort of scrub. The guy is a legitimate 20 point scorer. He was brought in to alleviate the scoring burden of the Js. He must be really frustrated getting only 6 shots. If Brad can’t do it, Danny should sit JT down and tell him he’d be a much much much better player if he learned to pass the ball and trust his teammates.

Fournier should be starting and getting Smart's shots. Why didn't Kornet start? Brad's phoning it in.

Agree.  And play Payton more than 15 minutes.

Starters shot 9- 36 from three. Starters need to be worried about their starting spots. We need more shooting in the starting line up.

« Reply #588 on: March 31, 2021, 10:37:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Smart played hard. Not always smart, but played hard.

I'm gonna strongly disagree here. He didn't start fighting over screens until we were down by 20. But I guess I should be happy that he didn't just randomly chuck the ball into the stands from half court this game. Baby steps.

He tried the backboard stopped him.

« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2021, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

The coach needs to use playing time as the carrot and the stick. If you play the way he wants you get time, if you don't you sit. That's a constant at ever level of basketball. Brad just keeps giving time to certain guys and just doesn't to guys who are on the bench that come in they bust a gut playing hard! If Smart wants to coast until the 4th don't play him until the 4th.

You have players on this roster making as much as much as $34m a season. If you have to use a carrot stick of any type to get effort, you're in trouble in a way the coach can't fix.

I guess we'll never know because Brad will never do anything.

« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You just described the assistant coach’s job. The HC is there to manage. The game, motivate players, press the right buttons during the game, work the referees, call timeouts.

We just fundamentally disagree on what I think a player should be capable of at this level. I'm not talking about talent level, because the can't be helped. But the idea of needing to motivate a player to play hard is so absurd to me. Imagine going to your job tomorrow, choosing to slack and then blaming it on your boss for not giving you a rah-rah speech during lunchtime. That's insane.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2021, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11

TP, I'm in agreement on this. While I do think part of a coach's responsibility to motivate their players, there is also only so much a coach can do based on player effort, execution and skill. Doc won a Championship with us in 2008. Last year his Clippers team underachieved and he got fired. Did he become less talented at motivating players, or did he just not have KG/PP/RA and a veteran team who understood how to win. At a certain point, the players have to take responsibility on themselves. They are grown men and professionals that need to do their job. And if they can't do their job, then they need to go. This goes from Tatum, down to the last player on the bench.

« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2021, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm gonna strongly disagree here. He didn't start fighting over screens until we were down by 20. But I guess I should be happy that he didn't just randomly chuck the ball into the stands from half court this game. Baby steps.
Bang on, only started trying hard when the game was almost over. Been doing it a lot recently. Makes his garbage play even more indefensible, because he clearly can play at a different level. Total question of effort, which is pathetic from our supposed captain
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Bang on, only started trying hard when the game was almost over. Been doing it a lot recently. Makes his garbage play even more indefensible, because he clearly can play at a different level. Total question of effort, which is pathetic from our supposed captain

He's a bench player that shouldn't be starting!!!!

« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2021, 10:44:17 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401

I have a hard time believing you’re serious right now. Coaching is so much more beyond X’s and O’s and calling fancy out of timeout plays. He’s in a leadership position on the team. He needs to lead. Don’t buy in to the Kyrie-koolaid of “we don’t even need a coach, really”

- LilRip

« Reply #595 on: March 31, 2021, 10:45:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Perk is saying how Brad should bench players who aren't playing hard. Next man up and I highly agree!!!!

« Reply #596 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
Two steps forward, two steps back.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #597 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Perk is saying how Brad should bench players who aren't playing hard. Next man up and I highly agree!!!!

Brad wont

He will never do that

The highest paid players play on this team

Brad is just the cheerleader ... "shoot it with confidence.... you can do it!" 

« Reply #598 on: March 31, 2021, 10:52:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401

TP, I'm in agreement on this. While I do think part of a coach's responsibility to motivate their players, there is also only so much a coach can do based on player effort, execution and skill. Doc won a Championship with us in 2008. Last year his Clippers team underachieved and he got fired. Did he become less talented at motivating players, or did he just not have KG/PP/RA and a veteran team who understood how to win. At a certain point, the players have to take responsibility on themselves. They are grown men and professionals that need to do their job. And if they can't do their job, then they need to go. This goes from Tatum, down to the last player on the bench.

Doc didn’t forget how to coach but I also don’t blame the Clips organization for moving on from Doc.

A successful manager was a superstar in his old job but he doesn’t do very well in his next job and quits. Did he forget how to do his job? Is he unhireable now?

- LilRip

« Reply #599 on: March 31, 2021, 10:53:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I have a hard time believing you’re serious right now. Coaching is so much more beyond X’s and O’s and calling fancy out of timeout plays. He’s in a leadership position on the team. He needs to lead. Don’t buy in to the Kyrie-koolaid of “we don’t even need a coach, really”

I think there's this fictionalized idea of what a coach should be. People watch Remember the Titans or Friday Night Lights and think coaches give big inspirational speeches at halftime and the team comes out and rallies and yay! I just don't buy into that all. Ultimately, players set the tone. It's why the Clippers still don't strike fear in anyone despite the coaching change - there's something off with Kawhi/PG dynamic from a leadership standpoint.
2021 Houston Rockets