Author Topic: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21  (Read 38344 times)

Re: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21
« Reply #570 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Welp, I'm off on a fishing/camping trip until Sunday, so I get a break from this madness for a few days. TPs to all for sticking around.
Given the way the Cs played looks like they're already off fishing!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #571 on: March 31, 2021, 10:21:42 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Brad be wishin he took that Indiana Job
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #572 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
I wonder if Brad would consider leaving if this disastrous season continues and we miss the playoffs. This team is too good not to be in the playoffs.

« Reply #573 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why dont they do this all game????

It’s on Brad, too little too late per usual

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

You’re not wrong but sometimes messages do need to be sent.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

What exactly is the coach’s job then?

« Reply #574 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
Brad be wishin he took that Indiana Job
not really. he absolutely loaths recruiting. besides, the pay in the nba is way, way better.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #575 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Welp, I'm off on a fishing/camping trip until Sunday, so I get a break from this madness for a few days. TPs to all for sticking around.

Lucky! Early spring FTW. I went fishing for largemouth on Saturday haha. Can’t beat 60’ degrees in March. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #576 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
had to watch the fourth on tape delay.  fought like hell to get back in it but as usual they dug themselves too big of a hole to get out of

« Reply #577 on: March 31, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
They’re treating Fournier as though he was some sort of scrub. The guy is a legitimate 20 point scorer. He was brought in to alleviate the scoring burden of the Js. He must be really frustrated getting only 6 shots. If Brad can’t do it, Danny should sit JT down and tell him he’d be a much much much better player if he learned to pass the ball and trust his teammates.

Fournier should be starting and getting Smart's shots. Why didn't Kornet start? Brad's phoning it in.

« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #579 on: March 31, 2021, 10:28:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Brad needs to do something different!!!!!

« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2021, 10:30:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Smart played hard. Not always smart, but played hard.

We got most of the lead down with Tatum and Brown on the bench. 

That second quarter was brutal. Really the game right there. just too big a hole to climb out of. We are not cohesive enough to make up deficits that large.

Confidence of this team is so low.

Why did Wagner play so many minutes in the 3rd quarter? He does nothing. He can't rebound, has poor hands.  I misjudged his ability when the trade was made. He is just not any good.  Kornet is much more composed, and even though he could not hit 3s tonight, plays decent defense, and finishes plays.  Given a choice, I'd keep him over Wagner.

We missed Rob Williams a lot tonight. A lot.

Need to incorporate Fournier into the offense more. 

This team is killing me.

« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2021, 10:31:35 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883
They’re treating Fournier as though he was some sort of scrub. The guy is a legitimate 20 point scorer. He was brought in to alleviate the scoring burden of the Js. He must be really frustrated getting only 6 shots. If Brad can’t do it, Danny should sit JT down and tell him he’d be a much much much better player if he learned to pass the ball and trust his teammates.

Fournier should be starting and getting Smart's shots. Why didn't Kornet start? Brad's phoning it in.

Agree.  And play Payton more than 15 minutes.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #582 on: March 31, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?

The coach needs to use playing time as the carrot and the stick. If you play the way he wants you get time, if you don't you sit. That's a constant at ever level of basketball. Brad just keeps giving time to certain guys and just doesn't to guys who are on the bench that come in they bust a gut playing hard! If Smart wants to coast until the 4th don't play him until the 4th.

« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Smart played hard. Not always smart, but played hard.

I'm gonna strongly disagree here. He didn't start fighting over screens until we were down by 20. But I guess I should be happy that he didn't just randomly chuck the ball into the stands from half court this game. Baby steps.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2021, 10:33:38 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883
What was Smart doing by missing the rim at the end of the game.  He must know the rules.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain