Author Topic: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21  (Read 38347 times)

Re: Mavericks (24-21) at Celtics (23-24) Game #48 3/31/21
« Reply #600 on: March 31, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Jaylen saying he was tired of all the negativity and then Perk who was watch said then win the game if you don't want questions. I agree. Brown is the second highest paid player on the team. Earn your money Jaylen! Take the tough questions! If you want to be a star it's on your shoulders!! KG, Bird, Pirece, aren't going to say that people asking questions is negative. This team is too talented to be this bad!!!

« Reply #601 on: March 31, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
why dont they do this all game????

It’s on Brad, too little too late per usual

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

You’re not wrong but sometimes messages do need to be sent.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

What exactly is the coach’s job then?

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?

The coach needs to use playing time as the carrot and the stick. If you play the way he wants you get time, if you don't you sit. That's a constant at ever level of basketball. Brad just keeps giving time to certain guys and just doesn't to guys who are on the bench that come in they bust a gut playing hard! If Smart wants to coast until the 4th don't play him until the 4th.

You have players on this roster making as much as much as $34m a season. If you have to use a carrot stick of any type to get effort, you're in trouble in a way the coach can't fix.

I have a hard time believing you’re serious right now. Coaching is so much more beyond X’s and O’s and calling fancy out of timeout plays. He’s in a leadership position on the team. He needs to lead. Don’t buy in to the Kyrie-koolaid of “we don’t even need a coach, really”

I think there's this fictionalized idea of what a coach should be. People watch Remember the Titans or Friday Night Lights and think coaches give big inspirational speeches at halftime and the team comes out and rallies and yay! I just don't buy into that all. Ultimately, players set the tone. It's why the Clippers still don't strike fear in anyone despite the coaching change - there's something off with Kawhi/PG dynamic from a leadership standpoint.

Ty Lue benched his starters the other night and his bench came in and lead a come back against the Hawks!

« Reply #602 on: March 31, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Smart is basically saying that the refs aren't letting them play there defense and I agree but you still have to play.

« Reply #603 on: March 31, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Completely agree. Others may disagree, but I think this is absolutely a failure of the coaching staff to push the right buttons to get their guys to play hard and smart. That's the coaching staff's job - to manage the guys and get them motivated in these situations.

100% letting Smart, Kemba, Tatum chuck all game long. Not getting PP and Fournier involved. Not benching guys when they’re not playing hard.

6 mins of hard play at the end is so inexcusable it’s not even funny. Got to love those moral victories.

Eh. It's on the players, imo. These aren't little leaguers or high schools athletes. These are grown men, legitimate multimillionaires who need to stop being coddled so much. They show these glimpses where they're capable of playing at a high level, they're making a choice not to do it all game long. As some point, we have to take off the kid gloves and hold them accountable.

But... They already know what they need to do. What other message is there? Sure, Brad could bench guys and make posters here happy, then they players can really tune him out and decide to get him fired. Again, this isn't a young team. They've seen success and know what it takes. It's up to them to earn the tens of millions per season, and right now they're not committed to doing that. Stop giving these guys an excuse by blaming the coach.

Imo, a coach's job is to design the offense and defense - basically act as the architect of how the team functions on the court. When it comes to "motivating" players, I think that's 100% silly and nonsensical. Again, these aren't little leaguers. Playing at a high effort level shouldn't be a conversation if you're getting paid millions of dollars. If you can't show up and do the bare minimum for a premium paycheck, why are you here?

I'm just tired of people wanting to lay the blame all on the coach and letting these guys off the hook. Does this team need a coach or a babysitter?

The coach needs to use playing time as the carrot and the stick. If you play the way he wants you get time, if you don't you sit. That's a constant at ever level of basketball. Brad just keeps giving time to certain guys and just doesn't to guys who are on the bench that come in they bust a gut playing hard! If Smart wants to coast until the 4th don't play him until the 4th.

You have players on this roster making as much as much as $34m a season. If you have to use a carrot stick of any type to get effort, you're in trouble in a way the coach can't fix.

I have a hard time believing you’re serious right now. Coaching is so much more beyond X’s and O’s and calling fancy out of timeout plays. He’s in a leadership position on the team. He needs to lead. Don’t buy in to the Kyrie-koolaid of “we don’t even need a coach, really”

I think there's this fictionalized idea of what a coach should be. People watch Remember the Titans or Friday Night Lights and think coaches give big inspirational speeches at halftime and the team comes out and rallies and yay! I just don't buy into that all. Ultimately, players set the tone. It's why the Clippers still don't strike fear in anyone despite the coaching change - there's something off with Kawhi/PG dynamic from a leadership standpoint.

Ty Lue benched his starters the other night and his bench came in and lead a come back against the Hawks!

So Doc and Ty both have issues with key players being motivated? Hmm. I'm glad it worked for them for one gam though, but ultimately it doesn't change the fundamental issue. It's why they traded for Rondo, because the front office knows there's a leadership deficit that their best players can't fix.

Sure, there are stopgaps coaches could try but if the key players aren't committed to making it work, it's not going to work.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #604 on: March 31, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

So Doc and Ty both have issues with key players being motivated? Hmm. I'm glad it worked for them for one gam though, but ultimately it doesn't change the fundamental issue. It's why they traded for Rondo, because the front office knows there's a leadership deficit that their best players can't fix.

Sure, there are stopgaps coaches could try but if the key players aren't committed to making it work, it's not going to work.

Didn't both those coaches win championships?

« Reply #605 on: March 31, 2021, 11:12:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401

Nah it’s not that. I wasn’t even referring to amazing, life changing speeches at halftime. You put those words in my mouth. I agree that leadership is beyond rah rah speeches. Sure they help (like sales rallies, national conventions, etc.) but you need middle management (or in this case, head coaches) who are able to still inspire output out of the working level (or in this case, players). Working because of a paycheck (which is what you’re constantly alluding to) is about the least inspired and passionate someone can get.

- LilRip

« Reply #606 on: March 31, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don't know why would Brad be the problem. The talent level on this team is average to below average. I don't know what fans really expected from them.
Brad could go to Minnesota and take them to the playoffs next year. He has proven himself.
It looks like players are not overachieving consistently and all of a sudden the problem is the coach. If they don't like each other anymore Danny should figure out those dynamics and act accordingly.

« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2021, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
It's on the players, not the coach.

« Reply #608 on: March 31, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I don't know why would Brad be the problem. The talent level on this team is average to below average. I don't know what fans really expected from them.
Brad could go to Minnesota and take them to the playoffs next year. He has proven himself.
It looks like players are not overachieving consistently and all of a sudden the problem is the coach. If they don't like each other anymore Danny should figure out those dynamics and act accordingly.

Brad needs to hold the players accountable. Brad has two all stars and a third Allstar last year. This team is playing lazy and selfish. The coach needs to reward the players playing the right way and bench the ones that aren't.

« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2021, 11:30:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
It's on the players, not the coach.

The Coach is deciding who plays.

« Reply #610 on: March 31, 2021, 11:41:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Here's the math...

48-24

The Celtics crushed all comers in the bubble....now these guys think they are good, which is too bad, because the only way they have a chance is to play hard on defense. They aren't good enough to d it any other way.

Unfortunately Walker does not match with Brown + Tatum surrounded by this group is not a top team.

Look at these guys...they are amazed that they aren't winning.

If they aren't hungry literally 3 out of 5 NBA teams they play will be hungrier. The freaking Hawks play harder and more consistently than the Celtics thus far.

« Reply #611 on: March 31, 2021, 11:54:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Here's the math...

48-24

The Celtics crushed all comers in the bubble....now these guys think they are good, which is too bad, because the only way they have a chance is to play hard on defense. They aren't good enough to d it any other way.

Unfortunately Walker does not match with Brown + Tatum surrounded by this group is not a top team.

Look at these guys...they are amazed that they aren't winning.

If they aren't hungry literally 3 out of 5 NBA teams they play will be hungrier. The freaking Hawks play harder and more consistently than the Celtics thus far.

We only beat the Thunder in the 4th and they are a tanking team. They shut down Horford and are actively tanking and we barely beat them. We also seem to win more when Pritchard gets more time and shots.

« Reply #612 on: March 31, 2021, 11:56:00 PM »

Online cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
Fake stars on this team...Jason Tatum, Jaylen brown, Kemba walker

« Reply #613 on: March 31, 2021, 11:56:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
From their postgame comments, Jaylen and Smart both sound very fed up with the lack of fight and defensive effort. So does Stevens. So far I've seen nothing of the sort from Tatum or Kemba.

« Reply #614 on: March 31, 2021, 11:58:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Fake stars on this team...Jason Tatum, Jaylen brown, Kemba walker

Stars make their team mates better.

See Luka Doncic.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:10:58 AM by liam »