Author Topic: C’s interested in LaMarcus Aldridge?  (Read 4551 times)

C’s interested in LaMarcus Aldridge?
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
I certainly hope not. That would be a huge waste of the TPE in IMO. He’s toast..

“Some executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype believe the Boston Celtics could join the mix to acquire Aldridge using their $28.5 million trade exception despite Danny Ainge recently suggesting the team will most likely use the exception during the offseason.”

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/lamarcus-aldridge-trade/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:05:45 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: C’s interested in LaMarcus Aldridge?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
depends what the trade actually is.  wouldn't do it for Aldridge, but if Boston could get a young player in the trade like Murray, Vassell, Poeltl then it might be worthwhile.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How many first round picks are the Celtics taking from the Spurs?

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 11:29:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Some executives believe the Celtics "could" join the mix?

I don't buy this.  It makes no sense.  Ainge has been pretty clear that he is not going to spend the TPE on a one season rental, especially not one that moves the needle as little as Aldridge would.  And since Aldridge is expiring, it is not really the type of bad contract that the Spurs would add assets to get rid of or bother to buy out.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Aldridge for Tristan and Carsen (no picks) is about as high as I’d go, and the only reason I’d consider that is to clear $11.5 million from next years books.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 03:29:02 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
depends what the trade actually is.  wouldn't do it for Aldridge, but if Boston could get a young player in the trade like Murray, Vassell, Poeltl then it might be worthwhile.

I’d be open to a trade with the Spurs built around Kemba for Murray and Aldridge. Not sure what other pieces need to be included.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How many first round picks are the Celtics taking from the Spurs?

This..hard pass on Aldridge for anything major.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434

I’d be open to a trade with the Spurs built around Kemba for Murray and Aldridge. Not sure what other pieces need to be included.
Walker & Grant for Aldridge & Murray works in trade machine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 04:07:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Spurs aren’t given up a top prospect, or a good player.  They’re not taking on Kemba.  Why would they?  LMA is expiring.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
LMA > Thompson?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
according to reports the Heat have offered Bradley, Harkless, Leonard and one of Silva or Okpala for Aldridge.  So actual players in trade.  Not great value obviously but something nonetheless, so it does appear that San An will be able to trade Aldridge if they want to.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Perhaps Theis is gonna be part of the deal if ever? Brad did talk to him about his playing time and he’ll probably be due for a raise next season.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
according to reports the Heat have offered Bradley, Harkless, Leonard and one of Silva or Okpala for Aldridge.  So actual players in trade.  Not great value obviously but something nonetheless, so it does appear that San An will be able to trade Aldridge if they want to.

When $20 million of dead salary is more valuable than a $28 million trade exception...

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

When $20 million of dead salary is more valuable than a $28 million trade exception...
Boston can't acquire Aldridge without sending out salary because he puts Boston over the apron.  And to get under the luxury tax, Boston would have to send out a lot of salary. 

But my point had nothing to do with Boston, it was about whether or not San Antonio was going to cut Aldridge.  It appears they won't need to if they don't want to as teams are interested in trading for him.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 10:24:40 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Boston can't acquire Aldridge without sending out salary because he puts Boston over the apron.  And to get under the luxury tax, Boston would have to send out a lot of salary. 

But my point had nothing to do with Boston, it was about whether or not San Antonio was going to cut Aldridge.  It appears they won't need to if they don't want to as teams are interested in trading for him.

I'm well aware of the issue.  I was merely remarking on the irony of the Heat having $20 million in bad contracts and thus the ability to shed them to afford a useful player, while the Celtics have an even larger exception but not the bad contracts to make the move affordable.