Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47989 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Saying "that's the first time we've played Celtics basketball in three games" is such a weird thing to say. Can anyone explain how that is possibly useful?
Pretty obvious that he was praising how they were playing. The players felt the same way. Not sure how that's even remotely worth criticising

It was a true observation. The way they played the second half was the first time this series that I felt the Celtics really played up to their standard.

Until now I had the feeling we were losing to the Heat instead of them winning against us. When we play like that second half the challenge is up to the Heat to try to beat us.

C’s in the second half had desperation as a motivator while Heat eventually had the ability to go through through the motions a bit up 3-1.  They are pros, but emotion and adrenal can sway a game under these circumstances.   Heat (imo) has been better and more consistent this series so unless the C’s found something sustainable to turn the tide, these last 2 games will be tough.  Heat has won all the close ones and that’s troubling. Also last 2 games, Heat came out of the gate better, not forfeiting huge leads that they had to whittle  at all game. 

I’m not a good coach analyzer but it seemed CBS used TOs better (at least one) and good substitutions to get the C’s in the game before the half. I always think that I see and hear SO much less of Stevens than others do - I assume it’s my focus (or lack thereof) - but some of it is legit - there is a lot more to his coaching than meets the eye - and that could be good or bad.   Re: locker room inspiration- I assume there are coaches who defer the verbal inspiration to players by design.  That wouldn’t necessarily be bad coaching but is a coaching decision that either works or doesn’t.

Hmm, could be that we are in the golden era of conspiracy theories, but it sounds to me like he is laying the foundation for a "we didn't play Celtic basketball.. i.e. the _players_ didn't play Celtic basketball" - trying to deflect any potential later criticism for _really_ struggling how to pierce the zone. He knew he was mic'd up

Anyway, I'm not in the Fire Stevens camp at all, it just seems like a Gene Hackman movie quote that doesn't seem appropriate at all - like maybe say it to the media afterwards, but to a bunch of grown men? Weird.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Really? "We finally played *our* game" is pretty standard coach-to-player talk in every sport I've played

TP ...for not being too bitter .. ;)

« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think because Stevens was miked up in a deafeningly quiet bubble, it seemed like he was yelling and being more animated. He wasn't. Sit close to the court on the team's bench side and you will see he does that an awful lot. Is it caught on TV? Almost never. Why? Because it's tough to get on tape because Brad is trying to get his voice over the noise of the crowd. I really don't think Stevens  was any more or less animated than he ever is. He was just miked up, where normally he isn't, and it was in a very quiet environment rather than an extremely noisy environment that would muffle his voice.

As for how the Celtics played. I think they ran the same offense and defense they have the last three games, they simply executed better. Stevens was right about saying they were playing Celtic basketball in the 2nd half. Brad didn't change the system or make any out of the ordinary substitution changes. The Celtics simply played better.

When the Patriots don't play well, Belichick says they have to execute better. The team just needs to perform the plays within the system better. It's about player performance and execution. Belichick doesn't change his system because the players play poorly. The players simply need to play better.

I don't think it's any different with this Celtics team. The lapses in focus, energy, effort and urgency that happened in games 1,2 and 4 and the 1st half of last night were not on Brad Stevens. That's on the players. The system is sound. It the player's execution that has caused them to be down 3-2 instead of resting up for their Finals opponent.

« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
We weren’t as bad as that first half suggested. Some shots don’t make it. And sometimes, players catch fire like Duncan Robinson.

The Heat looked pretty content with how they played that first half tho and seemed to relax. The C’s looked like they were ready to play that second half. It was the perfect storm for a comeback/blowout.

But let’s give credit where credit is due, Brad did some positive stuff. Kanter and Grant getting minutes were a welcome sight. Having guys flash to the center and actually look to score was a good adjustment. Not switching everything was a good call too.

But the Heat also loosened up. Some bad zone defense being executed on a few possessions, some careless turnovers, and they relied more on man defense (because it inexplicably worked in the 1st half). We’re too talented of a team for Miami to contain us with man defense. Only Butler and Bam are plus defenders, Crowder and old-Iggy are about average, but they have weaknesses in Dragic, KO, Herro, and Robinson. Hard to play man when you have a bunch of holes to plug up.

- LilRip

« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Saying "that's the first time we've played Celtics basketball in three games" is such a weird thing to say. Can anyone explain how that is possibly useful?
Pretty obvious that he was praising how they were playing. The players felt the same way. Not sure how that's even remotely worth criticising

I agree. Actually it was a correct observation, and reminded the players when they play the right way, they are really good, unbeatable in fact.

I regret starting this thread.  It was out of anger following game 2 loss.  Man I really hope we pull this series out, so I can change the title.
I'm pretty sure we've all said things we regret out of anger. Especially about players and coaches ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2020, 03:32:42 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1415

I agree. Actually it was a correct observation, and reminded the players when they play the right way, they are really good, unbeatable in fact.

I regret starting this thread.  It was out of anger following game 2 loss.  Man I really hope we pull this series out, so I can change the title.
I'm pretty sure we've all said things we regret out of anger. Especially about players and coaches ;D

We wouldn't be fans if we didn't all say things we later regretted  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #350 on: September 27, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 620

It was a true observation. The way they played the second half was the first time this series that I felt the Celtics really played up to their standard.

Until now I had the feeling we were losing to the Heat instead of them winning against us. When we play like that second half the challenge is up to the Heat to try to beat us.

C’s in the second half had desperation as a motivator while Heat eventually had the ability to go through through the motions a bit up 3-1.  They are pros, but emotion and adrenal can sway a game under these circumstances.   Heat (imo) has been better and more consistent this series so unless the C’s found something sustainable to turn the tide, these last 2 games will be tough.  Heat has won all the close ones and that’s troubling. Also last 2 games, Heat came out of the gate better, not forfeiting huge leads that they had to whittle  at all game. 

I’m not a good coach analyzer but it seemed CBS used TOs better (at least one) and good substitutions to get the C’s in the game before the half. I always think that I see and hear SO much less of Stevens than others do - I assume it’s my focus (or lack thereof) - but some of it is legit - there is a lot more to his coaching than meets the eye - and that could be good or bad.   Re: locker room inspiration- I assume there are coaches who defer the verbal inspiration to players by design.  That wouldn’t necessarily be bad coaching but is a coaching decision that either works or doesn’t.

Hmm, could be that we are in the golden era of conspiracy theories, but it sounds to me like he is laying the foundation for a "we didn't play Celtic basketball.. i.e. the _players_ didn't play Celtic basketball" - trying to deflect any potential later criticism for _really_ struggling how to pierce the zone. He knew he was mic'd up

Anyway, I'm not in the Fire Stevens camp at all, it just seems like a Gene Hackman movie quote that doesn't seem appropriate at all - like maybe say it to the media afterwards, but to a bunch of grown men? Weird.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Really? "We finally played *our* game" is pretty standard coach-to-player talk in every sport I've played

I guess maybe I'm used to hearing it in two differents contexts often:

1) to the media afterwards, and

2) when team is down big ("we gotta get back to playing Celtics basketball if we wanna win this game"

But I've never heard it after a big run. All good, like I said, I was just pushing a conspiracy theory..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #351 on: September 27, 2020, 10:06:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1027
Don't mind me for bumping this thread but GET RID OF HIM NOWWWWW

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #352 on: September 27, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Been defending Brad pretty ardently because of his many redeeming factors. Today, despite those redeeming factors, his glaring faults cost us the chance to go to the Finals and beat LeBron.

Fire him

« Reply #353 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Don't mind me for bumping this thread but GET RID OF HIM NOWWWWW

His fault the Heat shot 56% tonight, and 48% on threes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
This thread should be locked for 24 hours until some people regain their composure a little and aren't so prone to lashing out because they have no impulse control.

« Reply #355 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3059
  • On To Banner 18!
No, but I don't think his job is as safe as it seems. Ainge has to actually get a better bench and also a TRUE center. Even someone like Baynes who can actually play against anyone and not Theis/Kanter who are unplayable at times against other playoff teams.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #356 on: September 27, 2020, 10:10:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't know how many more opportunities Ainge will afford Brad only to watch him fail yet again, but I'm sure it'll be more than he deserves.

« Reply #357 on: September 27, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sigh.

The answer is still "No".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #358 on: September 27, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
This thread should be locked for 24 hours until some people regain their composure a little and aren't so prone to lashing out because they have no impulse control.
That's not actually how forums work though now is it?

« Reply #359 on: September 27, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Been defending Brad pretty ardently because of his many redeeming factors. Today, despite those redeeming factors, his glaring faults cost us the chance to go to the Finals and beat LeBron.

Fire him

I honestly believe Kemba and/or Hayward needed to be consistenly better for this team to truly have a chance.  Not sure Brad's coaching would have gotten them to provide more in close situations.  There's been 3 Finals teams in the past 30 years whose best player or two were as young as Tatum and Brown.

I'm strangely at ease with the loss, maybe because I firmly believe the best is yet to come for Tatum and Brown.