Author Topic: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)  (Read 55173 times)

Re: Hayward left on crutches
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
I still think Celtics get by Philly.  I still like the matchup. 

However, this certainly changes my feelings on how a possible Toronto series plays out. 

Awful news.  Feel for the kid.  He's been snakebitten his entire Celtics tenure.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550

However, this certainly changes my feelings on how a possible Toronto series plays out. 

Awful news.  Feel for the kid.  He's been snakebitten his entire Celtics tenure.
I know - totally fluke injury last night.  And just as they were putting the game away...ugh.

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I expected the worst honestly, if nothing else than because Hayward's had miserable luck here. What can you do.

I think they'll survive Philly. I'll get anxious about Toronto when they get there.

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The Sixers have no answer for Jaylen or Jayson.  That hasn't changed.  They still can't defend Kemba.

So I agree, the Celts should win.  They have to win 3 out of 6.  Should be doable.

Toronto is the deepest team in the league.  Going to be very hard to beat them with a team that has 5 maybe 6 guys who have any business getting playoff minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Hayward will miss four weeks per Shams.

He's done.

No fault of his own, but has to be one of the worst signings in Celtics history.

Classy.

What does it have to do with class?  We can't acknowledge that a guy has fallen far short of what we all hoped he'd do here when we signed him?

It's not his fault, but I don't think there's any question that Hayward has been a huge disappointment, especially when you factor in the contract.

Most of the worst signings in the history of sports are due to injuries and other factors outside the players' control.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 401
Oof tough break. C’s need Kemba to revert to his early season form to stand a chance in these playoffs.
- LilRip

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

The Sixers have no answer for Jaylen or Jayson.  That hasn't changed.  They still can't defend Kemba.

So I agree, the Celts should win.  They have to win 3 out of 6.  Should be doable.

Toronto is the deepest team in the league.  Going to be very hard to beat them with a team that has 5 maybe 6 guys who have any business getting playoff minutes.
The Celtics winning a series like that means it goes 7 games - 2 or even 3 of which are blowout losses. And the margin of victory in the games you win is like 2 pts.

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Feels like that's how it is with Gordon and the Celts.

I bet he has a nice post-season run with some team at some point, but it feels like it won't be the Celts.

I mean, there's always next season.  I really have a hard time envisioning a realistic scenario where he is playing somewhere else next season.

Yes I expect him to be here next season. 

I think it's clear we can't depend on him to be available when the games matter, though.

Hopefully Danny can find a way to shore up the roster between this season and next so that the team can absorb a loss like this more easily.

I'm not surprised to see Hayward go out with an injury, at this point.  It's just tough to swallow when you consider that the team was already painfully shallow.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

He's done.

No fault of his own, but has to be one of the worst signings in Celtics history.

Classy.

What does it have to do with class?  We can't acknowledge that a guy has fallen far short of what we all hoped he'd do here when we signed him?

It's not his fault, but I don't think there's any question that Hayward has been a huge disappointment, especially when you factor in the contract.

Most of the worst signings in the history of sports are due to injuries and other factors outside the players' control.
No the worst signing in Celtics history remains Mark Blount's contract extension.  ;D

Re: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
I'll feel more confident if the Celtics can blowout the 76ers in Game 2 and cause their whole team to disfunction.

Otherwise, I don't feel confident as before on the C's winning the series.

As for the Raptors, if we make it there, we are getting swept.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!

I bet he has a nice post-season run with some team at some point, but it feels like it won't be the Celts.

I mean, there's always next season.  I really have a hard time envisioning a realistic scenario where he is playing somewhere else next season.

I think it's clear we can't depend on him to be available when the games matter, though.

Hopefully Danny can find a way to shore up the roster between this season and next so that the team can absorb a loss like this more easily.

I'm not surprised to see Hayward go out with an injury, at this point.  It's just tough to swallow when you consider that the team was already painfully shallow.

I hope you like shoring up the roster with that 14th pick lol

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wow - what a bummer for the Cs and Hayward. It came up in the other thread, but this is exactly why Hayward shouldn't have been so vocal about leaving the bubble for the birth of his child. If he had been a little more vague and this happened, then nobody really would have had an opinion on the matter...maybe even finding the silver lining.

Anyway, pretty sure we can beat the Sixers. Toronto was always going to be difficult w/ or w/o Hayward. Hopefully Romeo is ready to step up and make his Brown/Tatum/Rozier-like rookie playoff jump. If Semi can hit the corner 3 and play solid defense, it could work out - same goes for Grant.

This goes w/o saying, but hopefully if the Cs do beat Toronto, Robyn will have already given birth and Hayward is good to go. The way things are going, however, we should expect delivery on 9/15 (1st day of ECF) and for Hayward to miss that whole series, as well.

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He's done.

Classy.

I mean being blunt like this especially when the news is barely out feels disrespectful.

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I hope you like shoring up the roster with that 14th pick lol

Yeah honestly I don't know how Danny will do it.  The team has no cap space coming and they've got another fist-full of mediocre draft picks.
- Mark Twain

Re: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
You guys realize that the Celtics aren't eliminated. This just means Brown and Tatum will have to step up, you all are acting as though that they already lost. :D