Author Topic: Sabrina Ionescu chosen #1 WNBA draft. Looks like the best talent WNBA has seen  (Read 25811 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjXRvSm0Hus

I mean thats Steph Curry type distance there.   Also good at ball handling and passing. 

I have never seen a WNBA player like her before.  Her skills look better than more than half of NBA players  ;D

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
She doesn’t compare to NBA players, or even D1 NCAA men, but she’s got crazy range. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
She doesn’t compare to NBA players, or even D1 NCAA men, but she’s got crazy range.
and an extremely quick release on her shot after she catches the pass. i wish her lots of luck.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
She obviously doesn't compare from a physical standpoint.  However from a skills standpoint she's better than some NBA players and better than a lot of college men players. 

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I could beat her whole team by myself

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjXRvSm0Hus

I mean thats Steph Curry type distance there.   Also good at ball handling and passing. 

I have never seen a WNBA player like her before.  Her skills look better than more than half of NBA players  ;D

lol you are joking, right?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Make some calls and let's see it happen.

Does constantly denigrating the women's game make guys for more manly? I really don't get it.

As far as Sabrina, she's got some great skills and she'll definitely help the Liberty right away and she'll be great for the league overall. But she's definitely not the best talent the league's seen. Maya Moore, Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart are some of the best singular talents to come into the game.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
The WNBA version of Doncic

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Does constantly denigrating the women's game make guys for more manly? I really don't get it.

As far as Sabrina, she's got some great skills and she'll definitely help the Liberty right away and she'll be great for the league overall. But she's definitely not the best talent the league's seen. Maya Moore, Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart are some of the best singular talents to come into the game.
It’s a real shame Liz Cambage has so many issues (I’ve run in mutual social circles with her, she was a mess there for a while), because I think she could have been great.

I do think Ionescu has heaps of talent, but I’m slightly concerned about where she takes her game from here. She didn’t develop too much in her last two seasons IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Yeah you might think so...LOL

I was in a pick up game with Nancy Lieberman and Ronda Rampola , She was 6-3and 230 ish , looked like the hulk. one Saturday afternoon in Norfolk ,Va in their heyday .   These two ladies were tuff as most college linebackers and dirty as John Stockton .    Ronda flattened me with a pick on my back , she was built like Marcus Smart .  Then Nancy stepped on me as she dribbled by .  She was making step backs from all over court like Steph Curry .   I left feeling very unmanly and worse the wear and tear.  It was a sobering experience . I had new admiration for anybody willing to play full court with these professional women.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It’s a real shame Liz Cambage has so many issues (I’ve run in mutual social circles with her, she was a mess there for a while), because I think she could have been great.

I do think Ionescu has heaps of talent, but I’m slightly concerned about where she takes her game from here. She didn’t develop too much in her last two seasons IMO

Liz Cambage is probably one of my favorite players to watch, she can be so charismatic and she shows real flashes sometimes of something special. I don't know if she'll ever put it all together though.

I agree about Ionescu possibly having peaked already. I'm really curious to see what she does in a new system with new challenges. I see her having a Skylar Diggins type of career where she'll be a perennial all-star as opposed to a bonafide MVP candidate, but because of the hype around her, people will see her as a bit of a disappointment.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

LOL

Beat them at what?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Liz Cambage is probably one of my favorite players to watch, she can be so charismatic and she shows real flashes sometimes of something special. I don't know if she'll ever put it all together though.

I agree about Ionescu possibly having peaked already. I'm really curious to see what she does in a new system with new challenges. I see her having a Skylar Diggins type of career where she'll be a perennial all-star as opposed to a bonafide MVP candidate, but because of the hype around her, people will see her as a bit of a disappointment.
Yeah, she really /should/ be completely unstoppable, but she’s just missing it. Whatever it is.

That’s a good comp. I don’t watch enough women’s to make a comparison (it’s almost entirely not on TV in Aus). I just hope she doesn’t end up like Evan Turner.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I always enjoyed watching another of your countrywomen, Lauren Jackson. She was pretty awesome.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I always enjoyed watching another of your countrywomen, Lauren Jackson. She was pretty awesome.
Yeah, she was great. Shame she’s had such debilitating injuries over the last 8 years. Still, 3 MVP’s and 2 rings isn’t too bad at all