Author Topic: Vincent Poirier to Celts(merged threads)  (Read 36319 times)

Re: Celtics sign Poirier
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Boston Celtics and French center Vincent Poirier have agreed to a two-year deal, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Poirier is a 6-foot-11 center who will provide additional front court depth in Boston.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1146098412506570752

I know basically nothing about this guy but I know some people were pretty excited about him.  A little more depth up front doesn't hurt, that's for sure.

Nice

take a look at the highlight below when Poirier tried out for the Orlando MAgic (SL) two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ki-T44TZ0Q&t=109s

VS last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbWqbw3bzo&t=162s

You can tell he improved his body and quickness/explosiveness

legit size

Good signing

Re: Celtics sign Vincent Poirier
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Curious if it's a guaranteed deal.

I'm also curious what this means for Theis.

The Celts now have the following bigs under contract:

Kanter
Poirier  (Pwa-yay?)
Theis (QO)
Grant W.
Timelord
Yabu

Seems unlikely that the Celts will go into next season with 6 bigs under contract, considering that they have a lot of wings who are likely to spend time at the 4.

My guess is that Yabu, at the least, gets salary dumped on some team that ends up having some cap space left over once all the significant FA are signed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Boston Celtics and French center Vincent Poirier have agreed to a two-year deal, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Poirier is a 6-foot-11 center who will provide additional front court depth in Boston.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1146098412506570752

I know basically nothing about this guy but I know some people were pretty excited about him.  A little more depth up front doesn't hurt, that's for sure.

For your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbWqbw3bzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-pmuCX5vhc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cv40uGCAY&t=98s

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
Nice, I guess my last post about Cousins is not valid anymore. It appears we have 3 big men once again. I have high hopes for this player so time will tell.

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I hope he can help, but let's not expect too much. He was playing limited mpg as I understand it. Can't expect him to jump right in and be an impact player in the NBA.

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nice, I guess my last post about Cousins is not valid anymore. It appears we have 3 big men once again. I have high hopes for this player so time will tell.

4 if you include Grant Williams

Kanter, Poirier, Grant Williams, Robert Williams

guessing this spells the end for Theis in a Celts uniform?

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Vincent Poirier international stats:

21.2 mpg ...
61.4% FG ...
62.8% FT ...
9.1 pts,
6.2 reb,
1.1 ast,
1.2 blk

34 games played

Not sure how this compares to his peers in that league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I could see them trading Yabu and keeping Theis. 

I love this signing, Celtics will be better next season than they were this season.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Do we know anything about his defense? (Other than he can block shots occasionally, which isn't very informative).

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 435
Blah..i want a proven NBA player..went to 2 summer leagues and didnt make it...Noah Vonleh or Cousins been better
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Seems like a fine young man but I'm not seeing too much in terms of ability.  We're pretty much at the bottom of the scrap heap.  Hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This was written last season. I must admit his noted weakness in lateral quickness and defending the pick and roll scares me with the way the game is played today. Not to mention the high level athletes in the NBA versus the ones he apparently had trouble containing in Europe.

Published by Konstantinos Panas
Years ago the seven footer were the main big men for every European team. Nowadays that the athleticism is raised and the undersized big men became viral, the seven footers are near to extinction.

But for big man Vincent Poirier that's not even close to the truth. The center out of France is having a solid rookie season so far with Baskonia. Even if he has good competition in front of him, Poirier showed his coach Pedro Martinez that he can play an important role in this team.

With a terrific wingspan and amazing versatility around the hoop this big man provides a great back to basket player who can rebound and protect the rim quite well.

He oftens run the open floor pretty well and that's something for his size. He is working on his perimeter game too.

His biggest problem right now for sure is pick-n-roll defense and his lateral quickness. He is not able to chase his man down on the low block if he gets passed by him.

A seven footer with post moves, rebound and rim protecting skills. This man has a bright future in front of him!

Published By Konstantinos Panas
konstantinosp@basketballscout.com

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Curious if it's a guaranteed deal.

I'm also curious what this means for Theis.

The Celts now have the following bigs under contract:

Kanter
Poirier  (Pwa-yay?)
Theis (QO)
Grant W.
Timelord
Yabu

Seems unlikely that the Celts will go into next season with 6 bigs under contract, considering that they have a lot of wings who are likely to spend time at the 4.

My guess is that Yabu, at the least, gets salary dumped on some team that ends up having some cap space left over once all the significant FA are signed.

Let them all battle it out in camp.  Only one of them is established in the NBA, maybe Theis half established.

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2019, 01:06:20 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

I could see them trading Yabu and keeping Theis. 

I love this signing, Celtics will be better next season than they were this season.

Great signing at the vet minimum. Unlike many Euros in that he does not shy away from contact