Author Topic: If the Celtics got Josh Smith?  (Read 4794 times)

Re: If the Celtics got Josh Smith?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Josh Smith would be a good 4th option on a team. 3rd option is certainly a stretch.

He's basically like Shawn Marion or Gerald Wallace in their prime. Prerty good guys but certainly not someone to help build your franchise around.
Shawn Marion was a great 3rd option for the Suns though.

Do you think Shawn Marion or J smith would be a type of guy you want as the cornerstone of your franchise at near max money? I don't.

Plus again Marion was arguably the 3rd option for some of those years. And you were probably the highest scoring team in the league and don't really habe a ton to show for it

Shawn Marion in his prime was a potential 20-10 guy whose ability to be a defensive anchor was hidden by playing for Mike D'Antoni.

Shawn Marion in his prime may not be the guy you want as your #1 option on offense, but his versatility and ability to defend multiple positions makes him a guy who I would be willing to have as part of the core you build a franchise around.

So u would pay max or near max money?

Isn't that the real meat of the conversation?

I'm pretty sure whatever anyome tjinks is "fair" money for josh smith wil see hat he is going to get a whole hell of a lot more

I'd be willing to pay more for Shawn Marion in his prime than Ray Allen in his prime.

As for Josh Smith, I think a max salary is more than he is worth, but lots of players get more money than they are worth, so it wouldn't shock me if he got the max.  I would consider giving Josh Smith the max if it made sense for reasons other than value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference