Author Topic: Kurt Thomas should be target #1  (Read 5028 times)

Re: Kurt Thomas should be target #1
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Regardless of Posey leaving, out two biggest needs are still at backup C and backuip PG, in that order.  We can probably get by OK with one of our draft picks (or even TA?) as the wing defender, but if Perk or Rondo goes down, we're up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Now that the Spurs used up most of their MLE on Roger Mason (I think, Roy?), we should be able to outbid them for Kurt Thomas.  He'd be perfect: he has enough of a shot to spread the floor; he's a proven winner; he can defend the post, and he rebounds.

He'd be my #1 target (and VT Hillbilly's, who convinced me of all this).  It'd probably take most or all of the MLE, but the Spurs only have about $2.3 million of their's left.

Not a bad idea, but we would still need a wing that can defend.

PS -  Is your pic, Rasputin ?

i distinctly remember one game where tony allen completely shut down kobe last year. and then the next possession pierce guard him and he scored. next possession tony allen again, and kobe's shot missed.

And I distinctly remember Tony Allen biting on an obvious Chauncy Billups fake to make it to the free-throw line and win a game for the Pistons.

We could have a multi-page thread on Tony's defensive lapses last year

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You can find a guy to give you some minutes playing D on the wings.  Hell, you could sign up old buddy Justin Reed from the D-League ;)!  Seriously, someone like Matt Barnes can be had on the cheap and give some respectable minutes.  It's a lot tougher to find someone like KT who can legitimately give good play at the C spot.

KT's also got a bit of a tough streak about him that may ultimately be what we miss the most from Pose. 

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Regardless of Posey leaving, out two biggest needs are still at backup C and backuip PG, in that order.  We can probably get by OK with one of our draft picks (or even TA?) as the wing defender, but if Perk or Rondo goes down, we're up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Now that the Spurs used up most of their MLE on Roger Mason (I think, Roy?), we should be able to outbid them for Kurt Thomas.  He'd be perfect: he has enough of a shot to spread the floor; he's a proven winner; he can defend the post, and he rebounds.

He'd be my #1 target (and VT Hillbilly's, who convinced me of all this).  It'd probably take most or all of the MLE, but the Spurs only have about $2.3 million of their's left.

My first point is that if Rondo goes out, no matter who we have backing up the 1, we're probably up the proverbial creek without a paddle.  So I would probably look at who fits best in the backup role rather than who could man the post for the long term if he goes out.

Thomas is interesting though.  He bangs, he's tough, he had decent range for a big man, he could fill P.J.'s shoes nicely.