Author Topic: Lakers are tanking  (Read 9381 times)

Re: Lakers are tanking
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If they want to unload Gasol, I'd be happy to take him on the Celts.

I am getting sick and tired of seeing us blow large leads in games.
Would you trade Wallace + Humph + our two 2014 1st rounders (currently projected #15 and #20) for Gasol?

He might, but it would be quite a surprise if Danny would.

Lol! Exactly!
Think about it a little more.  Let's assume the #15 and #20 picks amount to Fab Melo and JR Giddens. 

Wallace (3 years 10 mil)
Humph (12 mil expiring)

for

Pau (22 mil expiring)

That's kind of a heist for Boston.  Turns them into a competent playoff team this year.  Drops Wallace off the books.  We'd have 20 million in cap space this offseason in which players like Melo and LeBron may be looking for new homes.

Is it worth sacrificing a couple scratch tickets?

Btw, Lakers wouldn't do it for the same reason we WOULD do it.  Gerald Wallace is on the books until 2016.  A couple "bleh" draft picks (15-25 range) isn't worth sacrificing their cap space.  If they let Pau expire, they'll have enough to bring in LeBron this summer.  They also have a ton of cap space lined up for 2015 where Kevin Love is surely going to fulfill his destiny and come home to his beloved Lakers.

Exactly. I definitely would do this for the Celts because I've always like Gasol but I don't think Ainge would and even if he did, I don't think the Lakers would because they acquire another long-term contract in Wallace.

Now, if you offer the Lakers something like Crawford and Humph (two expirings) and one of our 2014 draft picks for Gasol, maybe they take it and it makes them worse while making our team better.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like too many people want to see us do well this year.

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If they want to unload Gasol, I'd be happy to take him on the Celts.

I am getting sick and tired of seeing us blow large leads in games.
Would you trade Wallace + Humph + our two 2014 1st rounders (currently projected #15 and #20) for Gasol?

He might, but it would be quite a surprise if Danny would.

Lol! Exactly!
Think about it a little more.  Let's assume the #15 and #20 picks amount to Fab Melo and JR Giddens. 

Wallace (3 years 10 mil)
Humph (12 mil expiring)

for

Pau (22 mil expiring)

That's kind of a heist for Boston.  Turns them into a competent playoff team this year.  Drops Wallace off the books.  We'd have 20 million in cap space this offseason in which players like Melo and LeBron may be looking for new homes.

Is it worth sacrificing a couple scratch tickets?

Btw, Lakers wouldn't do it for the same reason we WOULD do it.  Gerald Wallace is on the books until 2016.  A couple "bleh" draft picks (15-25 range) isn't worth sacrificing their cap space.  If they let Pau expire, they'll have enough to bring in LeBron this summer.  They also have a ton of cap space lined up for 2015 where Kevin Love is surely going to fulfill his destiny and come home to his beloved Lakers.

Exactly. I definitely would do this for the Celts because I've always like Gasol but I don't think Ainge would and even if he did, I don't think the Lakers would because they acquire another long-term contract in Wallace.

Now, if you offer the Lakers something like Crawford and Humph (two expirings) and one of our 2014 draft picks for Gasol, maybe they take it and it makes them worse while making our team better.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like too many people want to see us do well this year.

Do well or do bad, but deals made this year are likely to be the ones that benefit us in the long term. Trading a draft pick for a Gasol rental doesn't really fit the bill.

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That's too bad.

The East is so bad right now that the Celts could make a killing if they decide to be buyers instead of sellers.

Not to mention, they already have so many draft picks at their disposal over the next few years that it should justify making a legit run at a title this year.

If Ainge is looking to join the tankfest (which I assume he is) he's making a big error in judgment, IMO.

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
That's too bad.

The East is so bad right now that the Celts could make a killing if they decide to be buyers instead of sellers.

Not to mention, they already have so many draft picks at their disposal over the next few years that it should justify making a legit run at a title this year.

If Ainge is looking to join the tankfest (which I assume he is) he's making a big error in judgment, IMO.
How in God's name can we get enough talent on this team this year to make a run? No way in the world we can make a team to go up against the Pacers or Heat yet.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »

Online freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

How in God's name can we get enough talent on this team this year to make a run? No way in the world we can make a team to go up against the Pacers or Heat yet.

Yup, all trading those picks for vets would do is make us just good enough to be a punching bag for either Indy or Miami in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  I'd rather build a team that has a legit shot at a title.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:32:29 PM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

Yup, all trading those picks for vets would do is make us just good enough to be a punching bag for either Indy or Miami in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  I'd rather build a team that has a legit shot at a title.
[/quote]
I have no problem seeing a team that fights but fails right now. I'd much rather get young guys and look 5 years down the road. When Miami and the Pacers are getting older.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I have no problem seeing a team that fights but fails right now. I'd much rather get young guys and look 5 years down the road. When Miami and the Pacers are getting older.
[/quote]

I don't know.  I think there might be pieces out there that could allow us to make a run this year.

Pau Gasol is probably available.

So is Asik. Obviously.

Granger might be available.

We might be able to bring in all 3 by including one 1st in each deal, some expiring money in each (Hump, Bogans, Bradley, Crawford), and a valuable veteran player (Bass, Wallace, Green, Lee).

I'd watch Granger/Gasol/Asik backed up by Sully and KO.

Rondo will be back soon.

And Granger would seal it; an upgrade over Green.

Screw it, let's make a run!

Keep the 2014 picks, though...at least the higher of the 2.