Author Topic: What would your picks in the 2012 draft  (Read 23696 times)

Re: What would your picks in the 2012 draft
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6216726

Here's one article, but i thought i remembered a better one.

Do you have Insider? I can't view the entire article.

I'd be VERY careful about overlooking players such as Kyle O'Quinn. He could very well have a bad game today against Florida State (unlikely), but just looking at past talent that's been missed, I'd say he's certainly worth a look.

Just over the last 30 years or so, let's see who's been missed by NBA Teams:

Ben Wallace (Va Union University, Div II)....Terry Davis (again - Va Union University). Paul George. Jeremy Lin. Just to name a few.

We all know about Big Ben - the man is an NBA Champ and a certain HOFer. One of the best defensive bigs to ever play the game.

Terry Davis did not have as prolific a career as Ben, but he was more than serviceable - his best yrs were in DAL where he averaged 13 pts and over 9 rebs.

Paul George? Big miss by some teams. We all know about Linsanity, too.

So..PLEASE don't overlook Kyle O'Quinn. BOS is due to get a gem here soon. He could very well be it.

Paul George was picked in the top 10, but otherwise i agree.

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2012, 04:47:13 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd like Zeller as one of the first round picks.

If he's still there for our 4th pick I'd like Rodney Williams out of Minnesota. Kid is 6'7 swingman with all-time type athleticism. If Boston is going to be mediocre next year I at least want an athletic wing who can facialize people on a regular basis.

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 04:25:20 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
the thing that struck me about Royce White is that he guarded Anthony Davis easily, handled the ball most of the time, posted up and pretty much bossed Terrence Jones.

As said elsewhere he played against a lottery talent front court yet was pretty much unstoppable in iso.

Even given his anxiety disorder I would take him first.

He is a generational talent from what I have seen. You recognise these players in a heartbeat. Players like Barnes, Jones, Sullinger etc dont give that feel at all.

23 pts 9rebounds, 4 assists. and most of his passes were not converted into easy scores by mediocre finishing.

you dont pass up on potential superstars.

I agree with you completely. I would only add that he not only handles the ball against other bigs, he does it confidently against the guards also. There are several bigs that handle the ball well, this kid is a **** creator. Over looked at ISU for sure.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Don't like what I've seen in a small sample size of Zeller.  So little impact defensively.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Don't like what I've seen in a small sample size of Zeller.  So little impact defensively.
Not high on him either. Heard he has struggled in summer workouts against NBA players like Brendan Haywood. Their size caused him a lot of issues (struggled offensively against real length + pushed around too easily defensively).

Right now, my expectations for Tyler Zeller are for him to be an average to above average backup center.

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Andrew Nicholson ... good late round pick.

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Not high on him either. Heard he has struggled in summer workouts against NBA players like Brendan Haywood. Their size caused him a lot of issues (struggled offensively against real length + pushed around too easily defensively).

Right now, my expectations for Tyler Zeller are for him to be an average to above average backup center.

Maybe somewhere in between a pre- and post-injury Nenad Krstic level player?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm not a huge fan of Zeller either but I will say that he runs the floor better than any big in this draft. We all saw what Rondo did with Chris Wilcox.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I actually really like Zeller.  My biggest issues with him is

1) he got mandhandled by bigger guys too often on rebounding situations, I mean, embarrassingly tossed around that it was hard to see how he could handle the much stronger guys in the NBA night in and night out.  It was appropriate to call him soft.  He didn't look bigger or stronger his senior year but he seemed to hold his own physically better his senior year.  That's more promising

2) he is a horrible passer out of double teams, as turnover prone as you can get in them.

Otherwise, from the day he enters the league, he's going to be a top 10 athlete amongst C/PF.  He runs the floor incredibly well and can finish after catching the ball at top speed which you just don't see seven footers do. He's a honest to goodness track athlete. 

And then there is his offensive game.  He's got a post game he can go to but what he's going to be allowed to show more in the pros is his good outside shot.  He didn't shoot it from outside too often in UNC's system but he made the majority of those he took and his stroke is good.  He's going to be a very good pick and pop big man.  A C/PF who is capable of averaging around 16 points, with a solid amount of rebounds and is willing to take charges...that's a very solid player to have.