Author Topic: Wilson Chandler signs in China without an opt-out clause  (Read 14244 times)

Re: Wilson Chandler signs in China without an opt-out clause
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Soccer is by far the number one sport in most European countries, so I doubt that it would be financially feasible even if the best (NBA) players were playing here. Not enough money to go around, especially with the crisis and all.
And football is by far the number one sport in America. 

If I'm the NBA I don't want to bet the future of my league on whether or not Europe can sustain a basketball league with the premier players in the world.

I don't think they'd have to. In any circumstances, the NBA by a wide margin is going to provide the most financially

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Soccer is by far the number one sport in most European countries, so I doubt that it would be financially feasible even if the best (NBA) players were playing here. Not enough money to go around, especially with the crisis and all.

If I'm the NBA I don't want to bet the future of my league on whether or not Europe can sustain a basketball league with the premier players in the world.

I don't think they'd have to. In any circumstances, the NBA by a wide margin is going to provide the most financially

Just curious, what is the high end for euro salaries right now?

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Rudy Fernandez had a pretty high offer. I'm not familiar enough with the international game to know who the highest paid players are

Less than two weeks after the draft-night trade that sent the 6-foot-6 Spanish shooting guard from the Portland Trail Blazers to the Mavericks, Fernandez has reportedly been offered a six-year contract from Real Madrid that would make him the highest paid player in the history of the Spanish ACB, the most successful professional league in Europe.

According to a report Sunday in the Spanish sports newspaper Mundo Deportivo, the struggling Real Madrid franchise hopes to revive its fortunes by luring the popular Fernandez, 26, back home with promises of riches he may not find in the NBA.
The newspaper said the proposed six-year deal amounts to about $4.35 million a year. Under the NBA's now-expired collective bargaining agreement, Fernandez was due to make $2.2 million next season, after which he could become a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer of $3.2 million for the 2012-13 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6735080
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:58:11 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Not sure how accurate this is, but it lists the top guys.  The numbers are Euros, which in dollars of course means a larger number.  I've also heard that a lot of the reported numbers are actually NET Income to the player, meaning after taxes.  Josh Childress' contract was 4.5 million Euros a year for 3 years, but that number was after taxes, as the team agreed to pay all of the taxes.  Had he stayed the whole time he would have netted over 20 million dollars for 3 years (I got this from Yahoo and various other sources), which is far greater then anything he would have been paid in the states.

http://www.talkbasket.net/salaries.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Not sure how accurate this is, but it lists the top guys.  The numbers are Euros, which in dollars of course means a larger number.  I've also heard that a lot of the reported numbers are actually NET Income to the player, meaning after taxes.  Josh Childress' contract was 4.5 million Euros a year for 3 years, but that number was after taxes, as the team agreed to pay all of the taxes.  Had he stayed the whole time he would have netted over 20 million dollars for 3 years (I got this from Yahoo and various other sources), which is far greater then anything he would have been paid in the states.

http://www.talkbasket.net/salaries.html

Oh Sergio Rodriguez...we hardly knew ye.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »

Offline CaptainJackLee

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 21
If you work as a COO at Microsoft should Microsoft pay you the same money a company that is a 50th the size would pay you to be a COO there?

But that's not a fair analogy, because people that work at Microsoft could use their skill set with other companies and make comparable money.

At least for the time being, if you're a professional basketball player there's only one company that can you give you SIGNIFICANTLY more money than any other place.

True but the initial qualifier is essential: people often forgot that you don't need competitors to have competition. If the competition NBA owners had to worry about was foreign leagues they could set the players salaries to 20% of their current level and be done with it.

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
There's no leverage gained by players going overseas.  From the owner's perspective they can't be profitable under the current system.  If NBA superstars go overseas or not, that doesn't have any impact on the owner's stance.  They're not going to loose more money just to prevent stars going abroad; that makes no sense.  A superstar player is actually risking a lot more by signing another contract; a serious injury that could void their current contract or serverely limit their next one if they're at free agency. 

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There's no leverage gained by players going overseas.  From the owner's perspective they can't be profitable under the current system.  If NBA superstars go overseas or not, that doesn't have any impact on the owner's stance.  They're not going to loose more money just to prevent stars going abroad; that makes no sense.  A superstar player is actually risking a lot more by signing another contract; a serious injury that could void their current contract or serverely limit their next one if they're at free agency. 

Of course there is leverage gained by the players playing overseas. The owner's leverage is that they can lock out the players, stop paying them and since they are much richer and have money coming in from television contracts, they can outlast the players because the players are less financially secure and will need the paychecks that they receive.

But if the players can make money through endorsements and playing overseas during a period where the owners think they have shut off their access to making money, then they aren't forced to quickly get back to the bargaining table and give in to the owners because they need their money. How much leverage this gives the players and their union as a whole is debatable and yet to be fully realized but it is still leverage.

Its all a game of financial chicken to see who flinches first and is forced to come to the bargaining table and gives in to the other. If the season is delayed or called off and a large portion of the membership sees they can still sustain themselves financially, there's no immediate need to run back to give into the owners demands.