Author Topic: Perkins Value  (Read 7187 times)

Re: Perkins Value
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Until it becomes clear that he's actually recovered from his knee surgery and can be productive, his trade value is pretty low.  If we trade him, it'll most likely be in the off-season, not prior to the trade deadline.
I don't know if I agree with this. I don't feel like Perk's productivity can be evaluated by stats. If people are gonna look at him on paper, someone with less talent in their starting five may look at him and think they can eek a few more points or rebounds out of him, but what he does for the Celtics is different. He's a middle linebacker that calls out plays/adjustments on defense who keeps talking like KG, calling out screens, etc. He knows the defense well, he does a good job rotating and keeping people out of the paint and he's not afraid to deliver a hard foul. I think the teams that may value Perk would be teams like Orlando, Dallas, San Antonio, maybe even the Lakers & Jazz. Mainly because he does a great job against opposing centers, and the only way to be sure that you meet him in the finals is to have him on your own team. He would be a formidable back up for any of those teams. I'm not saying that teams fear Perk, but they know his defense could be a factor. Ask Orlando and  last year's Cleveland team. And to go out on a limb--if Perk plays that last game against the Lakers last year, there may have been a much greener outcome.

Re: Perkins Value
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I never thought of Perk being a starting c on most teams in the NBA but with a team that has 3HOF'ers,his flaws are easier covered up.His value to the C is worth far more than he would be on a more offensive minded team.He'd probably wouldn't be a starting c for some teams today just by the way teams use their c's to stretch the floor to shoot the three.We(Celtics)are more defensive minded and thats where Perk makes his living.I say the Celtics ownership value Perk's skills a lot higher than a number of teams in the NBA.With Dwight taking his game to another level this season it will be interesting to see if Perk has the same success aganist Dwight,if not maybe the ownership will come up with a plan B(trade).