Author Topic: Perkins Value  (Read 7220 times)

Re: Perkins Value
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Until it becomes clear that he's actually recovered from his knee surgery and can be productive, his trade value is pretty low.  If we trade him, it'll most likely be in the off-season, not prior to the trade deadline.
Rather hard to trade him in the off season given he'll be a free agent.

Sign + trade
Why on earth would any team sign and trade for Perk when he's been injured and probably won't commend any more than the MLE? Makes no sense.

Just because he's been injured doesn't mean he'll be an MLE guy.  He was the starting center on two teams in the finals, one of which won it all.  He's a defensive gem and though not a future HOFer, he is regularly undervalued on this board.
I would argue the exact opposite, that he is highly over-valued on this board.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Possibly, but look at some of the contracts given to defensive centers.  Darko almost got the MLE, and he's terrible.  Haywood got more than the MLE.  Varejao got more than the MLE, as did Dalembert, and Biedrins, and Chandler.  Pryzbilla got at least the MLE, as did Jeff Foster.  Dampier got more than the MLE on his last contract.

I'd put all of those guys in the same relative range as Perk, with some obviously being better than others.  I think the established market for players of that caliber is firmly over the MLE. 

Now, things could change, due to Perk's health and/or the new CBA.  However, as things stand now, I think he's established himself in the above-MLE range.

In terms of what we could get in a trade, who knows?  I'd say he'd probably bring back a draft pick in the middle-third of the first round (even injured and as a pending FA), but that's pure conjecture.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Until it becomes clear that he's actually recovered from his knee surgery and can be productive, his trade value is pretty low.  If we trade him, it'll most likely be in the off-season, not prior to the trade deadline.

Sign + trade
Why on earth would any team sign and trade for Perk when he's been injured and probably won't commend any more than the MLE? Makes no sense.

Just because he's been injured doesn't mean he'll be an MLE guy.  He was the starting center on two teams in the finals, one of which won it all.  He's a defensive gem and though not a future HOFer, he is regularly undervalued on this board.

Look at what Brendan Haywood and Drew Gooden got last year.  Unless you think Perkins is going to not come back this season, or come back and be dreadful, I can't believe you would not think he would get more than those guys on the open market.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sign + trade

Players like JO or Brad Miller get the MLE. Starting centers on contending teams generally get more.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Possibly, but look at some of the contracts given to defensive centers.  Darko almost got the MLE, and he's terrible.  Haywood got more than the MLE.  Varejao got more than the MLE, as did Dalembert, and Biedrins, and Chandler.  Pryzbilla got at least the MLE, as did Jeff Foster.  Dampier got more than the MLE on his last contract.

I'd put all of those guys in the same relative range as Perk, with some obviously being better than others.  I think the established market for players of that caliber is firmly over the MLE. 

Now, things could change, due to Perk's health and/or the new CBA.  However, as things stand now, I think he's established himself in the above-MLE range.

In terms of what we could get in a trade, who knows?  I'd say he'd probably bring back a draft pick in the middle-third of the first round (even injured and as a pending FA), but that's pure conjecture.

I'd put Perk above all those guys, Roy--though I do really like Varejao.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Sign + trade

You might, Nick, but you're the same guy who thinks Perk is at the MLE level.

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
RRoy hinted at why I think he will be an MLE player. Injuries and the new CBA. Let's remember, as soon as the NBA crowns a champion we could vbe looking at a lockout that completely transforms the values of players on the open market and any way you slice it, that value isn't going up for players of Perk's abilities and injury history(plantar facitis, multiple shoulder separations and problems and now a knee).

The financial world as we know it in the NBA is going to change after this season. Assuming sign and trades for players at their current value during this CBA and projecting those values into a new CBA is a mistake in my opinion. If Perk is currently an $8-10 million per year starting center, and I personally do not think he is, but if he is, come the new CBA, I think he will become a $5-6 million player for less years.

That is what Stern and the owners are shooting for and I think they will outlast the players in this regard.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
RRoy hinted at why I think he will be an MLE player. Injuries and the new CBA. Let's remember, as soon as the NBA crowns a champion we could vbe looking at a lockout that completely transforms the values of players on the open market and any way you slice it, that value isn't going up for players of Perk's abilities and injury history(plantar facitis, multiple shoulder separations and problems and now a knee).

The financial world as we know it in the NBA is going to change after this season. Assuming sign and trades for players at their current value during this CBA and projecting those values into a new CBA is a mistake in my opinion. If Perk is currently an $8-10 million per year starting center, and I personally do not think he is, but if he is, come the new CBA, I think he will become a $5-6 million player for less years.

That is what Stern and the owners are shooting for and I think they will outlast the players in this regard.

I think the new CBA will be interesting.  It could very well go the direction you're suggesting, where owners show some fiscal restraint and contracts come down.  This would be my expectation, at least initially.

However, let's say the league retains a "soft" cap, but limits contract length and allows teams to remove bad contracts from their cap.  In such a scenario, could we then see owners be even more reckless with their dollars, because mistakes are less painful?  In such a scenario, the number of bad contracts would actually increase, rather than decrease.

It's a topic for another thread, but it's interesting to ponder.  I thought for sure that this past off-season the owners would almost collude (or actually collude) to keep salaries down in advance of the lock-out.  Instead, they couldn't control themselves, spending like drunken sailors on mediocre-to-crappy players like Amir Johnson, Drew Gooden, John Salmons, Travis Outlaw, and Darko Milicic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is worth more to this team as a player then he is in a trade.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

TP...I agree 100% with this.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

TP...I agree 100% with this.

I agree as well. Kendrick Perkins is an extremely important piece on this team as constructed, on any other team he’s just a defensive minded Center who turns the ball over a lot.

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If things work out well, Kendrick will have his time limited to 15 mpg or so this season in an effort to not rush him back.  If that happens, he won't have the stats to command big money on the FA market and the C's will hopefully be able to hold onto him for  reasonable price next offseason. 

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
Oh you must be misunderstanding me. I didn't say trade him I was just wondering what you all thought. Personally, idk. I just wanted to hear someone convince me one way or the other. Now that i think he would be really hard to trade since he is a free agent after this year. I mostly just wanted to know what you thought.  :)

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 04:36:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Until it becomes clear that he's actually recovered from his knee surgery and can be productive, his trade value is pretty low.  If we trade him, it'll most likely be in the off-season, not prior to the trade deadline.

Sign + trade

Um...as others have pointed out, have you SEEN some of the contracts that have been thrown around, especially at big guys, recently?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don't know what Perk is worth to other teams, but I agree that he is worth much more than we could get for him to the Celtics.  As long as Howard is in the East, and now that Stoudemire is in NY, Perk is more important than ever.  He is the most effective Center guarding Howard one-on-one...and, like it or not, it looks like the Magic is one of our major rivals in the East.  Last night the Magic took it to the Spurs  to end the Spurs 10 game winning streak.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:33:06 AM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!