Author Topic: Ronnie Brewer traded to Memphis for picks (Confirmed)  (Read 3749 times)

Re: Ronnie Brewer traded to Memphis for picks (Confirmed)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
luxury tax, cough cough
I think it was the contract extension rather than the luxury tax. At least not the LT this year, perhaps next season though.

I think Utah was perfectly willing to pay the tax to keep their most talented players but didn't view Brewer as such. Not relative to the money he was asking for.

They have been having negotiations throughout the season with his agent and haven't been able to reach an agreement. Brewer would have been earning a contract around the MLE at the very least and likely slightly higher than that. That contract could have hurt Utah next season + in 2011 when Kirilenko's and Okur's deals expire.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Strange reaction amongst some in the media ... a feeling that this deal was made so that they wouldn't have to pay Rudy Gay a large contract next year.

It would be a very bad move for Memphis to let Gay leave next season. He is their most talented prospect going forward.

Brewer has value as a backup wing but not as a starting small forward. His rebounding is too poor to play their full time. Especially alongside a small backcourt like Conley + Mayo. I do like the idea of a big backcourt of Mayo + Brewer though. Trade Conley and bring in somebody else.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Strange reaction amongst some in the media ... a feeling that this deal was made so that they wouldn't have to pay Rudy Gay a large contract next year.

It would be a very bad move for Memphis to let Gay leave next season. He is their most talented prospect going forward.

Brewer has value as a backup wing but not as a starting small forward. His rebounding is too poor to play their full time. Especially alongside a small backcourt like Conley + Mayo. I do like the idea of a big backcourt of Mayo + Brewer though. Trade Conley and bring in somebody else.

Gay is a little overrated - takes a lot of low value shots.  But the Grizzlies certainly could use him - this puts them in a position to resign him without tripping the tax line ... unless a stupid team swoops in and offers him too much money.

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Gay is a little overrated - takes a lot of low value shots.  But the Grizzlies certainly could use him - this puts them in a position to resign him without tripping the tax line ... unless a stupid team swoops in and offers him too much money.
I agree with you on Gay's current ability. He isn't efficient enough with his scoring and he doesn't add enough in non-scoring methods (defense, passing, rebounding). He helps his team but he's not a star quality player. Based on his current level of performance and past performance.

Rudy Gay is, however, still an excellent prospect. His level of athleticism is so rare. I think if you put him on a better team ... a team that focuses on defense + execution ... I think he could improve by leaps and bounds. Become a 20-24ppg threat on 55% TS% with very good defense + good rebounding. That type of a player would be very valuable. As such, I think he's their best prospect, the player capable of being the most effective in 3-4 years time.

I'm not willing to write of Gay's potential. There is too much there to work with. Better coaches, better teammates and an overall better environment could have a massive impact on a player like Gay.

With that type of potential, I think Gay could be a good risk for a maximum contract. That would be a starting salary of $13.5 million.