Author Topic: trade idea: Ray for Iggy  (Read 13297 times)

Re: trade idea: Ray for Iggy
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Yeah, honestly if we could make Ray turn into Iguodala I would accept it even if it meant Perkins were replaced with Sammy Dalembert. 

Andre Iggs could have defended Joe Johnson down the stretch, and maybe given him some fits of his own.

I'd do it... But not if we had to give up Perk for Dalembert.

Honestly it's still a net plus in terms of talent for this year and the fact that Dalembert expires after next season means we'd at least have a nice big expiring to trade for another young piece moving forward.

Perk along with KG is our defensive catalyst and backbone... You don't give him up in a deal of Ray Allen and him for Iggy and Dalembert no matter how good Iggy is because of what Perk brings with KG to the D especially when people believe we can get Iggy and Kapono just for Ray (what a steal that would be)... If we were to get Dalembert, it would have to be Ray and Scal for Iggy and Dalembert... But I would rather do Ray for Iggy and Kapono.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:08:14 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Anyone remember the days when we had a young struggling team with boneheaded point guards and Tommy would constantly scream... "RUN!!!!!... RUNNNNN!!!!!!!!!"

The two key components necessary for a fast break team (according to Tommy) was to have a rebounding big man who knew how to instantly kick the ball out... and a fast point guard with great instincts to push tempo.

I think Perk and Rondo fit those two roles pretty nicely.  I think Rondo might be one of the best "fast break" point guards in the game, but I'm not sure we really have a "fast break" team around him.   If you replaced Ray with a younger athletic guy like Iggy, you would lose a little in the half court set (less shooting spreading the floor)... but if you get a finisher who can run with Rondo, it would definitely give this team a different dynamic going forward.   Something to think about.

Not to mention Iggy is pretty much better than Ray in every way other than shooting.  If we actually could pull off a trade like that, we'd be insane not to do it.

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 11:57:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Another recent topic discussed in this cyberspace: Philadelphia's attempts to interest Cleveland in a deal for Andre Iguodala.

Open to any trade that will help them convince LeBron James to stay in Cleveland -- as witnessed by their early season run at Stephen Jackson and their well-chronicled interested in a floor-spacing power forward such as Antawn Jamison or Troy Murphy -- LeBron's Cavs are on the short list of teams that would consider absorbing the four years and $56 million left on Iguodala's contract after this season.

The determined pursuit of Jackson until his November trade from Golden State to Charlotte only makes it more apparent that the Cavs are not solely focused on “stretch fours,” as they’re known in the modern game.

Iguodala, though, is difficult for Philly to move because of all that money he’s still owed. Not as difficult as moving Elton Brand or Samuel Dalembert, but all of the teams that like Iguodala – Houston, Dallas and Cleveland are known to have shown varying degrees of interest – have reservations about taking on a deal that big.

The Cavs have to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Would they still want Iguodala on their payroll if LeBron leaves and plunges Cleveland into that worst-case position?
  http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12681/blazers-search-for-size-and-other-trade-chatter

That's by Marc Stein.

Am I missing something?   Is Stein on crack or did I somehow miss something about Iguodala.  In what world would having a 26 year old fringe star be considered a burdon?  What??  Is this true?  Is Philly actually begging for teams to take him?  That article made it sound like he was Eddie Curry or something.

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:23 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, honestly if we could make Ray turn into Iguodala I would accept it even if it meant Perkins were replaced with Sammy Dalembert. 

Andre Iggs could have defended Joe Johnson down the stretch, and maybe given him some fits of his own.

I'd do it... But not if we had to give up Perk for Dalembert.

Honestly it's still a net plus in terms of talent for this year and the fact that Dalembert expires after next season means we'd at least have a nice big expiring to trade for another young piece moving forward.

Perk along with KG is our defensive catalyst and backbone... You don't give him up in a deal of Ray Allen and him for Iggy and Dalembert no matter how good Iggy is because of what Perk brings with KG to the D especially when people believe we can get Iggy and Kapono just for Ray (what a steal that would be)... If we were to get Dalembert, it would have to be Ray and Scal for Iggy and Dalembert... But I would rather do Ray for Iggy and Kapono.

Oh, I'd definitely prefer not to have to trade Perk for Dalembert, I'm just saying if that's what we have to do in order to get Philly to bite, then I'd be willing to do it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Andre Iguodala = Rich man's Tony Allen.

After seeing how great TA has been in concert with our starters today, anybody want to try to argue that Andre Iggz couldn't fit in well with our starting unit?

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
a Philly blogger just proposed the following deal to me: Iggy and Lou Williams for Ray and 2 first rounders.

I gotta admit, I find that very, very tempting.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
a Philly blogger just proposed the following deal to me: Iggy and Lou Williams for Ray and 2 first rounders.

Do it up, right now.

I wouldn't even think twice about it.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708

I wonder if you could haggle them down to a first and a second, or maybe just one first.  Still, I like that trade a lot.

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think the leaders of the best sports blogs for a given team should be able to make deals. I would do this deal in a second.

I thought it was reported that they aren't trading Iggy unless they can get someone to take Dalembert or Brand off their hands.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I think the leaders of the best sports blogs for a given team should be able to make deals. I would do this deal in a second.

I thought it was reported that they aren't trading Iggy unless they can get someone to take Dalembert or Brand off their hands.

At this point Iggy + Dalembert for Ray + Perk sounds fair to me.  If they want to throw in Lou Williams in return for a pick or two from us, I say wonderful.

Dalembert isn't as good as Perk, but Iggy is a lot better than Ray, and Dalembert is very good at the one thing this team desperately needs help with: rebounding. 

We'd still be a solid defensive team inside and we'd be much better in terms of rebounding and perimeter defense.  Lou Williams would give us a backup PG and make Eddie House / Marquis or TA expendable. Solid trade.

- Doc Rivers