Author Topic: What happened tonight....calling out the fans....team ...coaches and org.  (Read 9614 times)

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
I was at the game, and was completely bummed by the atmosphere.  Empty seats and complete disinterest.  Over the last three seasons I have gone to about 5 or so games each year.  The first season it was unbelievable at the Garden.  The last two years, though, it has gotten progresively worse.  I feel out of place standing and cheering for the team.  Jay-Z and Beyonce recieved a louder reaction than anything.  It was mostly all boo's for J, but why was that the loudest reaction.

This didn't have anything to with the loss, however.  Nobody is stopping LeBron when he is hitting all his outside shots.  Wish it wasn't that way. but it is.

ya that whole Jay Z thing kind of bugged me...why make a big deal about a guy being there that openly roots against all of Boston...who cares!  Why not show Steinbrenner at Fenway while we're at it!

Offline Gruntled

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm not sure where all of this hostility towards the crowd is coming from.

I work less than 1.5 miles from the Garden, and I left for the game at 6pm.  It usually takes me 15 minutes to park and another 10 minutes to get into the game.

Because of the Red Sox game and some absolutely horrible traffic, I barely made it into the game by tip off.  Traffic and the line out front was worse than when we were in the finals two years ago.

I hope some of the people attacking the fans have some clue of what it looked like outside of the Garden 15 minutes before game time.  The line to get in ran all the way down the block.  It was so backed up they were letting people use the private entrance for Premium seating, and that had a line that wrapped around the other side of the building towards the pro shop.

It was an angry zoo out there, with people mad they might miss the game because the line wasn't moving.

So where is this "you're not a real fan unless you leave work two hours early to get to the game" coming from.  There were thousands of angry people outside because they couldn't get into the game right away, because of the traffic and the line.  Then people come on line and attack them for not knowing it was going to be a disaster in front of the Garden?  I'm pretty sure a "real fan" isn't someone who attacks other fans when the team loses.

As to the atmosphere during the game:  I didn't have any problems with the fans.  I was in the loge, pretty close to the court, and our section was on their feet for a lot of the game.  Even late in the game, if the Celtics hit a three or back to back baskets, the whole section was up and screaming.

But you know what, almost every single time the Celtics made a big play, the Cavs came back with a three or a offensive rebound for a basket.  That kept the crowd quiet more than anything else.  Go to Utah, Cleveland, or anywhere else...  if the other team keeps making big plays, the crowd gets quieter.  The section I was in looked like they were doing jumping jacks:  stand up, cheer, see the Cavs make a big play, sit down grumbling about LeBron... repeat over and over.

The crowd was loud and supportive, but the Celitcs never could even string together three plays in a row to build up the momentum.

One other thing that was very weird.  I hate the jumbotron and a lot of the "entertainment" during the timeouts, but for some reason this game was like the Garden staff took the night off.  There were a lot of timeouts with nothing but quiet music and a logo being shown up on the Jumbotron.  There was not a lot being done to try and get the crowd loud about anything.  I can't remember ever going to a game where they didn't even try to get the crowd going through some of the timeouts.  Either there were technical problems, or they were told not to rile up the crowd.

By the fourth quarter, it almost felt like the people operating the jumbotron had left.  I'm not sure that is a bad thing... but why change it during the playoffs.  They were so out of synch, when the game ended they started to play the music hey play for "Gino".  it ended quickly, but it seemed like someone was asleep at the switch.

It was a bad night for just about everyone who went to the game, except for the Cavs and their fans (and there were a lot of them at the game).  Lets stand together instead of making it worse by trying to find a way to blame the fans.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So without the traffic and craziness of having a game on on a Friday night a half hour earlier than normal on a night where the Red Sox were starting a game against the Yankees at the exact same time, the Boston crowd showed up early and was boisterous and raucous all game. By the second half they were rabid.

I think some people here owe the Garden crowd that got there Friday night a huge apology. After fighting through horrendous traffic and awful crowds and lines to get in the building, they get to their seats miffed and then sit down to a complete turd of an effort and game by the home team from the outset.

I think given the circumstances and the quality of the effort and game in front of them and the circumstances it took to get to the game and in the building, I think booing might have been one of the kinder things they could have done.

My guess here is that the crowd that was there today had a huge amount of the same people that were late and there Friday. Did those same people suddenly become diehards in two days? Did they go from patrons to fans in two days? Or, is the logical explanation that they are a great crowd that had to deal with a bad scenario then sat down to a horrorfest of a game and that's why some people misread them?

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
So without the traffic and craziness of having a game on on a Friday night a half hour earlier than normal on a night where the Red Sox were starting a game against the Yankees at the exact same time, the Boston crowd showed up early and was boisterous and raucous all game. By the second half they were rabid.

I think some people here owe the Garden crowd that got there Friday night a huge apology. After fighting through horrendous traffic and awful crowds and lines to get in the building, they get to their seats miffed and then sit down to a complete turd of an effort and game by the home team from the outset.

I think given the circumstances and the quality of the effort and game in front of them and the circumstances it took to get to the game and in the building, I think booing might have been one of the kinder things they could have done.

My guess here is that the crowd that was there today had a huge amount of the same people that were late and there Friday. Did those same people suddenly become diehards in two days? Did they go from patrons to fans in two days? Or, is the logical explanation that they are a great crowd that had to deal with a bad scenario then sat down to a horrorfest of a game and that's why some people misread them?

I owe nobody any form of an apology if your were insisting that I should be the one to. Facts are facts, I saw what I saw with my own two eyes. My opinion has been shared by many of the longtime season ticket holders I have befriended in the past few years at the Garden. The fans Friday night were among the most pathetic we have all ever seen in our lives at the Garden.  So you want me to apologize for them sucking?  Ya dont think so pal    Why is it that you cant stand up and say hay, the crowd just came out flat like the team did, its pretty simple because thats what the case was.   Today  coming into the stadium I felt that buzz again, I saw people getting to their seats once the intros were going on, I saw a revamped crowd and a revamped team.   The crowd effects a team much more than anyone here is giving any credit for. Todays crowd was awesome....couldnt have asked for more, so congrats to all of those who showed today, thats what we need out of you all, not what happened Friday

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I owe nobody any form of an apology if your were insisting that I should be the one to. Facts are facts, I saw what I saw with my own two eyes. My opinion has been shared by many of the longtime season ticket holders I have befriended in the past few years at the Garden. The fans Friday night were among the most pathetic we have all ever seen in our lives at the Garden.  So you want me to apologize for them sucking?  Ya dont think so pal    Why is it that you cant stand up and say hay, the crowd just came out flat like the team did, its pretty simple because thats what the case was.   Today  coming into the stadium I felt that buzz again, I saw people getting to their seats once the intros were going on, I saw a revamped crowd and a revamped team.   The crowd effects a team much more than anyone here is giving any credit for. Todays crowd was awesome....couldnt have asked for more, so congrats to all of those who showed today, thats what we need out of you all, not what happened Friday
So the other 15000 or so season ticket holders must have just given their tickets away for Friday night and shown up today, huh, because the crowd seemed much different. Must have  been a whole different set of people there.

The crowd had a reason to be late as can be attested to by various fans and people who were around Boston as well as traffic video. People have complained of long lines late getting into the game because of this. Tempers were probably running short. They show up late, their miffed, and in 3 minutes of non effort their team is down 15.

And all this is the crowd's fault?

Here's some more facts.

We can't all be 20 and 21 years old again where the most important thing in our lives is a basketball game. Some people can't get out of work early. Some people have to stay late at work or make sure their kids are dropped off somewhere before leaving for the game. Some of us have to make sure the wife is home to watch the kids before leaving for the game or feed the kids before leaving. Some of us have to travel through traffic to get to the game, sometimes lots of traffic.

The Celtics lost the other night because they came out flat and sucked. I was in that building two times this year where the crowd was uproarious and the Celtics came out flat and sucked. I was at three games this year where the crowd was late getting there and the Celtics ran out to a large lead. What the crowd is like has no correlation as to how the team is going to come out and play. None.

The building and crowd had ZERO, NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to do with how that team came out and played Friday or any other day this year. Their mental preparation and energy and effort and ability to meet adversity were the reason they came out bad and stayed that bad. Sorry, guy but these guys are professionals, not some high school or college team. The crowds barely effect them because if they did, if this team was so mentally weak that the lack of energy in the crowd caused their bad play, they may as well forfeit the rest of their games because they are obviously not going to be getting any crowd support on the road.

Sometimes this year the crowd has been bad, but blaming Friday's disgraceful effort on the crowd or saying that they didn't have definite reasons not to be extremely angry from before they got there until they left, is just superimposing your own very narrow view of what an attending fan at the Garden should be like. Different fans cheer their team on in different ways.

Kiorrik

The building and crowd had ZERO, NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to do with how that team came out and played Friday or any other day this year.
How do you explain some athletes calling the crowd the "sixth man"?

In my opinion, the crowd mightn't have had anything to do with it, but maybe that's just the thing. I wish they had. In a positive way.

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
How do you explain some athletes calling the crowd the "sixth man"?

Good point....Jason Terry agrees with you.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq2yawMvTLs&feature=related
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens

So the other 15000 or so season ticket holders must have just given their tickets away for Friday night and shown up today, huh, because the crowd seemed much different. Must have  been a whole different set of people there.

The crowd had a reason to be late as can be attested to by various fans and people who were around Boston as well as traffic video. People have complained of long lines late getting into the game because of this. Tempers were probably running short. They show up late, their miffed, and in 3 minutes of non effort their team is down 15.

And all this is the crowd's fault?

Here's some more facts.

We can't all be 20 and 21 years old again where the most important thing in our lives is a basketball game. Some people can't get out of work early. Some people have to stay late at work or make sure their kids are dropped off somewhere before leaving for the game. Some of us have to make sure the wife is home to watch the kids before leaving for the game or feed the kids before leaving. Some of us have to travel through traffic to get to the game, sometimes lots of traffic.

The Celtics lost the other night because they came out flat and sucked. I was in that building two times this year where the crowd was uproarious and the Celtics came out flat and sucked. I was at three games this year where the crowd was late getting there and the Celtics ran out to a large lead. What the crowd is like has no correlation as to how the team is going to come out and play. None.

The building and crowd had ZERO, NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH to do with how that team came out and played Friday or any other day this year. Their mental preparation and energy and effort and ability to meet adversity were the reason they came out bad and stayed that bad. Sorry, guy but these guys are professionals, not some high school or college team. The crowds barely effect them because if they did, if this team was so mentally weak that the lack of energy in the crowd caused their bad play, they may as well forfeit the rest of their games because they are obviously not going to be getting any crowd support on the road.

Sometimes this year the crowd has been bad, but blaming Friday's disgraceful effort on the crowd or saying that they didn't have definite reasons not to be extremely angry from before they got there until they left, is just superimposing your own very narrow view of what an attending fan at the Garden should be like. Different fans cheer their team on in different ways.

My conclusion on you is that you were either one of the ones that showed up late and are taking this personal    or you are in some form of denial that the crowd and team has changed since the 08 season.   Do the eye test dude,   the 08 season, last year, my god even the 06 season   our crowds never booed our team. For the most part (Not including alot of the 06 season)  our crowd was there at tip off, they were loud at tip off  yes even for some games in that miserable season.  Its called home court advantage for a reason bud,  and not just because they know who sits in Section 5, row 12  seat 11  every game. Its because they are finally in a place that is supposed to be loud to make the other team have troubles calling their plays, getting the right subs in,  have trouble communicating in general and force the opposing teams to make mistakes by being loud. Its people with your mentality that feel that they can cheer however they want,  sitting on their thumbs and cheering to themselves,   golf claps for huge plays, sitting in the concourse  drinking with friends   whatever.  Instead of getting up  being loud and getting behind your team. Its that mentality that has ruined the Pats games, and it is creeping into the Garden now.  If you were a player  and you had the choice of a crowd that is hell bent on making noise    or what I previously described as your ideal fan what do you think the players would choose for their home crowd.   I dont know if you are trying to imitate L.A. or something but if you watch their games they take a ton of heat for their fans being the way they are, so if you want to go and turn into them, have a blast  I'll make sure to give you all the heat in the world when I see "fans" sitting on their thumbs during playoff games  like you feel is appropriate to do

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't like to give out credit to national TV because they usually are just talking heads praising whatever is going on with little insight.  These announcers don't even wipe their mouths when they're done with Lebron James.  However, I have to give them a tremendous credit for the aerial view of the arenas.  They had some absolutely AWESOME shots of Boston.  The first one was a shot that went from a zoom from the Garden and slowly, through Charles River, they move the camera over to Fenway.  They kept on going every break, you'd see something.  I thought it was cool, especially since I have driving a lot towards Framingham, Medford, Cape Cod and Commonwealth so I could see some of the places I drive through.
Baby Jesus!