Author Topic: What happened tonight....calling out the fans....team ...coaches and org.  (Read 9767 times)

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
100 percent of the blame belongs to the players and coaches -- nothing else and nowhere else. Also, it seems that there are many fans that would like to see Boston become another mindless Hooterville, like Oklahoma City. Boston has always been this way. Everyone should not have to wear the same color shirt in order for the Celtics to come out and actually PLAY the game. The team was awful last night on defense. The fans had nothing to do with how the game turned out. It should be a non-issue.

you do not have to be "mindless" like OKC fans, but you do have to be loud and into the game. Portland, phoenix, utah just to name a few. the celtics (and for that matter the Pats) have no homefield advantage. no electricity. i am not a screamer, and do not have money to go to a lot of games, but it is very noticeable on tv.

however, i have no problem with the booing. this team deserved it. clev got booed in game two (not as loud, but like another post said, at least they made a run). i have always said, i will never boo a player who give max effort and is trying to play intelligently and as part of a team. well i do not feel the effort was there on friday. and if i had paid $100 (or more) for a ticket, i would be upset. i think bron came out with a purpose, the celts saw they were going to get the short end of the stick from the refs (again) and packed it in for the night, perhaps even the season. rondo and KG gave an effort, do not know what to say about the others.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
you pay money for the playoffs...you expect the HOME team to actually play with a pulse. fans have a right to be upset with that effort

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
As someone who now has to drive up from RI, I can tell you that I am very busy and still manage to get to the game on time. Yes it was easier when I could just hop on the T; but since moving to RI i appreciate the opportunity to attend game even more than before.

I get sick about the fans screaming for Scal every time he steps on the court or passes up a shot. There are some real issues here on this Blog that have contributed to this attitude. I personally don't like the way some of our players are treated by fair weather fans and think that can be seen in the booing at the Garden.

It's the playoffs and I think its fair to ask everyone to step it up! Fans included. that means showing the same loyalty and respect we expect from the players.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Who cares if the fans showed up late last night?

The players didn't show up until the second quarter.  That's the only thing that matters.

TP

Kiorrik

Booing as a result of lack of effort is fine in my book, regardless of whether it is a playoff game or not. As for arriving late I am sure some people had valid reasons (though not as many as indicated previously). Plus, some people may be at a concession or in a rest room. Game 4 is a must win. If they don't win it I see this ending in Game 5.
If you're late, you didn't leave in time. Jeez, it's the final games of the season.

Alright, someone really has to tell me the difference between a Celtic Fan and a Basketball Fan. Right now, it seems as though we have too many people cheering for good basketball, and far, far too few people that actually cheer on the team.

I totally disagree with how people look at the booing. If you don't want lackluster effort, and you think that that's what we've been producing, then why in blabla's name would you still buy tickets? If you think it's a waste of money, go somewhere else, buy Laker tickets or something.

I know we're supposed to be all neutral, and we're supposed to dissect every aspect of the game as though we're professors and lab-rats trying to analyze the perfect game, the perfect plays, the perfect season.

However, I really believe this is CELTICS blog. We are *supposed* to wear green goggles from time to time. We are *supposed* to support our team. And in my opinion, fan-dom is about wanting your team to do as best as they can. Booing them, not showing up for games, showing up late, in my opinion, that's all very, very disrespectful to a team you say you say you love.

So yes, I have to agree with the OP. We played bad basketball. But the crowd has been mailing it in just as bad as the players have been.

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i hate the trend of people cheering for players and not teams anymore....they cheer for kobe or lebron not really the team they play for. i know a lot of people that would follow lebron to whatever team he was on....

i love PP but i would be a celtics fan if he went elsewhere. i would hope he did well but i wouldn't switch teams because he is gone. i mean it was hard to stay a celtics fans when ricky davis left..but i managed  ;)

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
i hate the trend of people cheering for players and not teams anymore....they cheer for kobe or lebron not really the team they play for. i know a lot of people that would follow lebron to whatever team he was on....

i love PP but i would be a celtics fan if he went elsewhere. i would hope he did well but i wouldn't switch teams because he is gone. i mean it was hard to stay a celtics fans when ricky davis left..but i managed  ;)

Well, I can understand the player-following attitude when fans are stuck with a dysfunctional organization.  If I were in that situation I think I might hope my favorite player gets traded to a well-managed team with whom he has a chance of actually winning.  A good example is T-Wolves fans still being KG fans after he got traded to Boston.  I can't blame them for that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
said this in another thread, but it applies here too:

for those that werent in or around boston yesterday complaining of empty seats at the game......TRAFFIC SUCKED!!!!!  i made it in time for warm ups but that was bc i was able to get out of work a little early.  my brother in law was to meet me at there.  he left 2 hours b4 tipoff and got there as they threw the ball up.  it is normally a 25-30 min drive for him. 

it was an early game, it was a friday, and traffic sucked....even for boston's standards! 

people who werent in or around the city at the time have no idea and it is unfair to label people based on it.  the garden filled up as the game progressed.

all this complaining of fans is so juvenile.  the issue is the team, not the fans.  cheer the way you want and dont chastise others who cheer the way they want.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
said this in another thread, but it applies here too:

for those that werent in or around boston yesterday complaining of empty seats at the game......TRAFFIC SUCKED!!!!!  i made it in time for warm ups but that was bc i was able to get out of work a little early.  my brother in law was to meet me at there.  he left 2 hours b4 tipoff and got there as they threw the ball up.  it is normally a 25-30 min drive for him. 

it was an early game, it was a friday, and traffic sucked....even for boston's standards! 

people who werent in or around the city at the time have no idea and it is unfair to label people based on it.  the garden filled up as the game progressed.

all this complaining of fans is so juvenile.  the issue is the team, not the fans.  cheer the way you want and dont chastise others who cheer the way they want.

Nailed it.

If any fingerpointing should be taking place right now, it should be at the boys in green and the coaching staff. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
It's difficult to generalize about fans. Yesterday, I sat in the balcony a couple of seats away from two girls who were standing up the whole game cheering nonstop. I was thinking wow...what great fans. At the end of the third quarter, a lot of people around me including myself sat down and became rather silent after we realized that we're not going to make any more runs. Those girls proceeded to poke everyone around them with their thundersticks encouraging us to stand up. They said to everybody: "Come on, stand up! If we all stand up and cheer, we have a chance of being on the jumbotron!"  :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:50:26 PM by pengaloo »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
My point is being missed here completely as to what I was saying.  Not only was it the people who arrived late...but the ones who WERE there on time,  the place was like a morgue ...no buzz, no excitement   no NOTHING   before the game...Ive been to enough playoff games to know when theres a buzz...there was even a buzz before game 2  vs. Chicago last year...that place was rocking....this was not.  Thats pathetic, this is the playoffs  and the fans werent even all that excited. The late arrivals just was the icing on the cake to that. A combination of both equals  zero home court advantage as we saw last night.  Funny....two New England teams have home court/field advantage in a game during the playoffs , and both get blown out in that first home game.  What is the common denominator between Gillette and Garden...  Late arriving crowds,  fans who are content with just being there for the sake of being there and not producing energy, fans who have had success with that team in recent years and that success is no longer a driving force of the fan base, rather it is expected.    You all are really overlooking what this lack of home field does to our teams,  your team expects to have a home court/field advantage and when our spoiled fans dont give it to them, that is demoralizing, especially when they see how well other teams in the league have it.   I found myself asking tonight during the Utah game, when the fans were on their feet that entire last two minutes of the game....would the Garden have been that way? I can honestly say I dont think so anymore. Despite LA hitting heart breaking shot after shot,  those fans stayed on their feet, believed in their team, and didnt let those shots cause them to drop like a sack of potatos back into their seats.   I wish we had fans like that....maybe another 06 season will help us get that hunger back. Never thought I'd say such a thing like that

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
My point is being missed here completely as to what I was saying.  Not only was it the people who arrived late...but the ones who WERE there on time,  the place was like a morgue ...no buzz, no excitement   no NOTHING   before the game...Ive been to enough playoff games to know when theres a buzz...there was even a buzz before game 2  vs. Chicago last year...that place was rocking....this was not.  Thats pathetic, this is the playoffs  and the fans werent even all that excited. The late arrivals just was the icing on the cake to that. A combination of both equals  zero home court advantage as we saw last night.  Funny....two New England teams have home court/field advantage in a game during the playoffs , and both get blown out in that first home game.  What is the common denominator between Gillette and Garden...  Late arriving crowds,  fans who are content with just being there for the sake of being there and not producing energy, fans who have had success with that team in recent years and that success is no longer a driving force of the fan base, rather it is expected.    You all are really overlooking what this lack of home field does to our teams,  your team expects to have a home court/field advantage and when our spoiled fans dont give it to them, that is demoralizing, especially when they see how well other teams in the league have it.   I found myself asking tonight during the Utah game, when the fans were on their feet that entire last two minutes of the game....would the Garden have been that way? I can honestly say I dont think so anymore. Despite LA hitting heart breaking shot after shot,  those fans stayed on their feet, believed in their team, and didnt let those shots cause them to drop like a sack of potatos back into their seats.   I wish we had fans like that....maybe another 06 season will help us get that hunger back. Never thought I'd say such a thing like that

Good post. The Utah crowds make our crowds look like the Lakers crowds. Most of the starting 5 are injured Ray and Rondo look pretty healthy. PP, KG, and Perk are doing what they can with what they have. The only chance we have of wining is if we can get some energy from somewhere at home: be it a spectacular play, a bench player going off, or the deafening crowd intimidation and energy. There are only one of these things that the fans can bring!! I;ll be bringing it Sunday from the "Cheap" seats!!!

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
As for the Fans, I just think it's a different time, too.

I have not been to a Celtics Game, yet, but I remember watching one game on TV last season (2008-2009) - the very first game against CLE, at home. I remember watching the camera glide over the crowd, and there were a Lot of young folks.

Maybe it's just a different generation. Back in the 80's, LA and Boston competed for 5-6 years for Titles. During that time, you certainly had the battle lines drawn.

We've Unfortunately met for the Title only once since those days. And it was Great ;D.

You just don't have that same utter dislike for LA as you did then.

Even when I visited Silver Screen and Roll prior to the LA game this season, they had the Nerve to Pair OUR game with Memphis' Game in the Pre-Game Notes.

The Blasphemy ;D. We didn't even get our own Pre-Game notes separate, and their Bloggers didn't see anything wrong with it.

I called them on it, too. They didn't see Boston as a threat then. But what about the Tradition?

I believe the fans are there and want to be vocal, but some of this falls on the team, too.

Must. Be. Defensive. Get back to doing what makes you Celtics. Celtics never win pretty - they win with Defense.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I was at the game, and was completely bummed by the atmosphere.  Empty seats and complete disinterest.  Over the last three seasons I have gone to about 5 or so games each year.  The first season it was unbelievable at the Garden.  The last two years, though, it has gotten progresively worse.  I feel out of place standing and cheering for the team.  Jay-Z and Beyonce recieved a louder reaction than anything.  It was mostly all boo's for J, but why was that the loudest reaction.

This didn't have anything to with the loss, however.  Nobody is stopping LeBron when he is hitting all his outside shots.  Wish it wasn't that way. but it is.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

[/quote]

Good post. The Utah crowds make our crowds look like the Lakers crowds. Most of the starting 5 are injured Ray and Rondo look pretty healthy. PP, KG, and Perk are doing what they can with what they have. The only chance we have of wining is if we can get some energy from somewhere at home: be it a spectacular play, a bench player going off, or the deafening crowd intimidation and energy. There are only one of these things that the fans can bring!! I;ll be bringing it Sunday from the "Cheap" seats!!!
[/quote]

I think our crowd doesn't need any comparison to Utah's to look like LA's crowd.  Fans showing up late is the LA crowd to a "T".  Celebrities at the game is the same thing.