Author Topic: Is Stevens a system or star laden coach?  (Read 3342 times)

Is Stevens a system or star laden coach?
« on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Does Stevens excel more when 15 guys buy into learning and knowing the system he runs. There is nothing wrong with this approach because it can win games, but can it win chips?

Does having stars that can play outside the system disrupt his coaching style? This creates problems because everyone isn't pulling in the same direction. Stars win chips in the NBA, but it may be better for the system to create the star (IT) verses getting a star to fit the system (Kyrie).

I think both could work but one is for college and the other the NBA. See the difference in Phil Jackson who had stars and college coaches that try to coach in the NBA.

Just wondering if that's what were dealing with this season compared to last season.

Re: Is Stevens a system or star laden coach?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You don't think that Phil Jackson had a system?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443
You don't think that Phil Jackson had a system?

Yeah, Phil Jackson was literally the ultimate system coach.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think, whether you realize it or not, that every coach has a system whether in high school, college or pros. And every superstar has played within those systems. Stevens has a system and the superstars he has coached(IT and Kyrie, and to a lesser extent, Hayward and Horford) has played in it.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Phil Jackson had a system, but he also had MJ/Pippen and then Shaq/Kobe. It didn't really much matter what system he was running, they were going to win a lot of games. Phil's best attribute was his ability to manage personalities (see guys like Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest). He was a good coach, but probably overrated in the grand scheme of things.

As to the OP's question, I think Stevens is a genius of a coach when running a system with less talented players. This season seems to be a bit of an anomaly with so many integrated parts, upcoming FAs, the veterans vs the young guys, etc. I am not going to hold much against him right now and we still could really surprise in the playoffs.

If we acquire AD, Kyrie re-signs, Hayward is 90% of his former self, and other players like Horford, Brown, and Smart are still here playing at a high level and we begin to flounder, then I may buy into the premise. But, right now, it's just impossible to tell. The useless Rose Rule essentially ruined 3 different franchises this year (us, NOP, and LAL) as we wait to see what happens this summer.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Guys PJ didn't have a system, he had an offense. A system is when almost anyone can go for 30, minutes are scripted, no one player is more important than the other player, its predicated off of ball movement and possibly 5-6 guys getting double figures.

PJ Triangle was dominated by his stars.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Guys PJ didn't have a system, he had an offense. A system is when almost anyone can go for 30, minutes are scripted, no one player is more important than the other player, its predicated off of ball movement and possibly 5-6 guys getting double figures.

You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong about this. The triangle is a system. One in which if you have great players in certain roles, works very well. With players like Shaq, Kobe, MJ, Pippen, Gasol, and to a lesser extent Rodman, Grant, Odom the system works to it's maximum capabilities.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If that’s your definition, I’m not sure that any NBA coach has a system.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
PJ had the triangle which didn't work in NY.

Answer this...do you think PJ could be successful with this current Celtics team running the triangle?

Do you think Stevens system would diminish the skills of MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe?

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
There's a difference between a system coach who fits players into his system and a coach that builds a system around the players he has.  Stevens is a very good system coach who will get you overachieving teams when you have mediocre talent.  If you have top NBA talent, I think a good players coach works better. 

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
PJ had the triangle which didn't work in NY.

Answer this...do you think PJ could be successful with this current Celtics team running the triangle?

Do you think Stevens system would diminish the skills of MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe?

Jackson also wasn’t the coach in NY.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561

You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong about this. The triangle is a system. One in which if you have great players in certain roles, works very well. With players like Shaq, Kobe, MJ, Pippen, Gasol, and to a lesser extent Rodman, Grant, Odom the system works to it's maximum capabilities.
PJ is definitely a system coach.  He's running the triangle even if it doesn't fit his players that well. 

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
My point is other teams have tried to run the triangle and it hasn't worked. Hornacek hated it and it didn't fit. Kerr isn't running it in GS.

I'm not criticizing Stevens, I'm more looking at Kyrie not being a good fit for Stevens philosophy.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My point is other teams have tried to run the triangle and it hasn't worked. Hornacek hated it and it didn't fit. Kerr isn't running it in GS.

I'm not criticizing Stevens, I'm more looking at Kyrie not being a good fit for Stevens philosophy.

A better thread, then, might be “does Stevens’ system utilize Kyrie properly and allow him to reach his maximum potential ?”

I think the answer to that is probably yes, but there’s room to argue.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Phil Jackson brought in Tex Winter, who was the man behind the triangle offense. Phil basically managed the personalities on the team.