Author Topic: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus  (Read 7237 times)

Re: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

No offense but you are a win goldigger

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Because he is a playoff warrior?

Umm no thanks

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Why does he feel the need that he has to teach them ?

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

We don't need really need an article about a 4 minute YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=ir7AT-BFcSI

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing. That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

When I listen to that interview, I think Kyrie's including himself in that quote, so he's not calling out anybody there (at least the way I interpret it.).

And there's a sentence bridging the 2 quotes conveniently missing that adds more context.

"I initially didn't play the minutes I wanted to play, I'm 26 years old heading into my prime, like why do I have to wait for anybody?  Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well, coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

When I hear the whole interview, I hear "we as a team need to be mature and professional every single day to be great.  We have a locker room full of young talented guys who want to play more minutes and have a bigger role.  I want to play  more.  Terry wants to play more.  We all have to understand each other."

Irving could have worded it better, but I don't hear anything negative in that interview.

We basically have a bunch young men. Including myself

Did he say it like that?

It always seems to be us vets (do no wrong) vs  young guys (careless, not at my level)

All this does is divide, not unite

He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wanted early on as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Rajon Rondo was even worse with the media.

I'm not worried about this and I hope his teammates aren't either.

Kyrie's been there for us too many times this year.

Tatum, Brown and Rozier carried the team last year.

We ALL dreamed and wished that we would've had either Kyrie OR GH to bring us home against CLE last May. Well, we got BOTH of them now.

No one is getting traded.

Team needs to mount up, circle the wagons and prove themselves once again.

Cut out the distractions.

Get these 24 games done, finish strong and run until Mid June.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. He also had a 42 point outburst in one game. I remember how helpless I felt watching our team trying to defenx him. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. You think Bledsoe or Lowry can defend him?

After we pulled that Game 3 out of our butts with the Avery Bradley bounce-around buzzer-beater, we were up again in the 2nd half in Game 4 with a real chance to tie the series without IT.

I remember distinctly that as we clung to the lead it wasn't LeBron I was scared of, it was Kyrie. Sure enough he took over, dropped 19 pts in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and it was game over. Guy is an absolute beast when it matters most.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/02/20/kyrie-irving-free-agency-espn/amp

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing,” Irving told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

“Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well,” Irving said. “Coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

Does Irving understand the team made the ECF last season without him or Hayward??

Did anybody else see this issue with AL and young guys as they made their way to the ECF?

“We basically have a bunch of young men in our locker room that feel like they’re capable of doing a lot more than they’re doing. That’s OK, but there’s a maturity you have to have, there’s a professionalism you have to really showcase every single day. That’s what the great ones do.”

When I listen to that interview, I think Kyrie's including himself in that quote, so he's not calling out anybody there (at least the way I interpret it.).

And there's a sentence bridging the 2 quotes conveniently missing that adds more context.

"I initially didn't play the minutes I wanted to play, I'm 26 years old heading into my prime, like why do I have to wait for anybody?  Terry Rozier, he played in the playoffs, he did extremely well, coming back, that’s a natural competition that me and him have. It is what it is. No one wants to say it, but I will. It’s part of their growth. When you have winning in mind, then you got to do what it takes, but you got to understand your teammates.”

When I hear the whole interview, I hear "we as a team need to be mature and professional every single day to be great.  We have a locker room full of young talented guys who want to play more minutes and have a bigger role.  I want to play  more.  Terry wants to play more.  We all have to understand each other."

Irving could have worded it better, but I don't hear anything negative in that interview.

Did he say it like that?

It always seems to be us vets (do no wrong) vs  young guys (careless, not at my level)

He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wants as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.

You basically have a Kyrie can do no wrong comprehension

General comprehension of this issue/vibe... like the same thing post Magic game tirade

Think about it. You hear this from Brown, Rozier point of view... you think its all gravy?

What if it was the other way around... "This guy Kyrie, new to the team...thinks he is the boss. Great player but it has been trying times. I have to try to understand his big ego"

Take off your Irving goggles
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:17:10 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599

Did he say it like that?

Do I think Kyrie is the best public speaker, who clearly and concisely delivers the point he's trying to make?  Absolutely not.

Do I think dissecting the words of a guy who tends to ramble and constantly switches between the first and third person will lead to accurate portrayal of his message? No I do not.

Though to be fair, I do think, just like some of us can take his interview the wrong way, so too could some of his teammates, especially with all though quote aggregates out there (like the first article linked here).   Hopefully they know Kyrie better than that and the locker room is stronger than that,  but I could see the way Kyrie talks and the way he rambles causing problems from teammates taking things the wrong way.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
No ones perfect and it’s impossible for everyone to be happy.   Whaaatever.  Onto the next game.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

...and despite being a 4X all-star, most of the league wouldn't take him for free.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

You must be jokin?

Well this is why I dont get where you are coming from... I would never do that

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Did he say it like that?

He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wants as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.

You basically have a Kyrie can do no wrong comprehension

General comprehension of this issue/vibe... like the same thing post Magic game tirade

Think about it. You hear this from Brown, Rozier point of view... you think its all gravy?

What if it was the other way around

Take off your Irving goggles

"You basically have a Kyrie can do no wrong comprehension"........ lol. What does that even mean? Is that like the Cstrong version of "I know you are but what am I?"

Your complaint is that he doesn't include himself in that statement, but your original post conveniently omits that part where he does exactly that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

...and despite being a 4X all-star, most of the league wouldn't take him for free.

Because of his limitations, difficult with coaching and difficulty of fit.  Not to mention coming off of a major injury.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Kyrie is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag.   Not surprising as he is young, super rich and been told all his life how special he is for playing with a ball.    I hope Terry punches him in his arrogant mouth.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s not wrong. Pierce, KG and Ray all said it was easier to sacrifice for the team when older; they wouldn’t have been ready to do it. Bosh talked about his struggles as a third fiddle.

Young guys, by and large, don’t have the patience to “wait their turn”. That’s both good and bad, depending upon whether the guys can fit within the team.

I mean, Jaylen would probably be having a better statistical year if he wasn’t giving up minutes to Hayward. Do you think he’s unaware of that? And on a lot of nights, that sacrifice might even hurt the team. It takes a ton of maturity to stick to a defined role when you know you can do more.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Umm no thanks

You must be jokin?

Well this is why I dont get where you are coming from... I would never do that
It's just an analogy...
How about addressing my other points? Like the inability to close out a really bad team.