Author Topic: NBA Coming to Africa creating 12 team league - Basketball Africa League  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1070
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/17/africa/nba-africa-basketball-league/index.html

Seems like a good way to create a pipeline to an underdeveloped basketball region.  Hopefully it works out.
Historical Draft - Portland Trailblazers
PG - Magic Johnson, Tony Parker
SG - Clyde Drexler, Dennis Johnson, Alvin Robertson
SF - James Worthy, Alex English
PF - Charles Barkley, Ben Wallace
C - Moses Malone, George Mikan, Brad Daugherty

Re: NBA Coming to Africa creating 12 team league - Basketball Africa League
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27321
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I think itís a great thing, and not because it will eventually lead to more NBA players. Any investment and opportunity for these kids could really change their lives. I hope that it expands to include even younger kids, bringing them education and better alternatives than they have already.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 725
Can't see it working out. No one in America watches euro ball and that is where talent is

So we can count America out as viewers. Who is left? Most Africans have  a Tv excluding places like south Africa or morocco

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1179
lol .... the travel will be horrendous.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 265
Can't see it working out. No one in America watches euro ball and that is where talent is

So we can count America out as viewers. Who is left? Most Africans have  a Tv excluding places like south Africa or morocco
Well the NBA basically subsidizes the WNBA and that league has been around for a long time.  They'll probably subsidize this as well but this league will provide a pipeline for future talent so it's going to be money well spent.  I'm guessing it may provide some off season programming as well for the NBA channel or possibly ESPN+.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 725

Well the NBA basically subsidizes the WNBA and that league has been around for a long time.  They'll probably subsidize this as well but this league will provide a pipeline for future talent so it's going to be money well spent.  I'm guessing it may provide some off season programming as well for the NBA channel or possibly ESPN+.
I get where you're coming from

If you can get 1 embiid type player every 8 or so years then the league will pay for itself. That's not a bad test. I'm not sure how many embiids there are left in Africa but we will see. I think there may be a few ibakas

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2250
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I get where you're coming from

If you can get 1 embiid type player every 8 or so years then the league will pay for itself. That's not a bad test. I'm not sure how many embiids there are left in Africa but we will see. I think there may be a few ibakas

Left? You know people tend to make new people pretty often, right?

The value is less about discovery, though that's part of it, and more about development so the talented guys aren't as raw and can stay closer to home instead of having to adjust to American colleges or European pro teams or wherever. And on the league end of course trying to get more fans in Africa. They'd be happy to take a loss on the African league if it sells more merchandise/ups international ratings for the NBA itself.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Free Stella Nyanzi!

Quite a few actually, Enough that South African Pay TV service Multichoice has been able to develop legit one of the biggest network of sports channels in the world in Supersport, entirely on African viewership. I would imagine they would have the financial muscle and reach to make the concept work.
We have the Timelord and Spacelord. Now we need the Soul Lord, Power Lord, Reality Lord, and Mind Lord