Author Topic: Trade Irving for the sake of the team  (Read 57028 times)

Re: Trade Irving for the sake of the team
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Trading Kyrie for Kawhi and starting Rozier might have made sense.

Trading Kyrie as a mid-season rental and starting Rozier is foolhardy.
doesn't it depend on the package.  What about something like this?

Boston - Davis, Moore
New York - Irving
New Orleans - Brown, Yabu, Kanter, Knox, Ntkilina, Bos 1st, NY top 5 protected 1st

That would seemingly make sense for all 3 teams.  I mean I get it would be nice to have Davis with Irving, but if it is was one or the other I'd much rather have Davis even at the expense of other assets. 

So post trade

Boston
PG - Rozier, Smart, Wanamaker
SG - Hayward, Smart, Moore
SF - Tatum, Hayward, Semi
PF - Davis, Morris, Theis
C - Horford, Baynes, Williams

I think that team is more likely to not only win the east but also the championship.  That team has a bit more certainty this summer since Davis is locked up next year.

I don't want to hate on Kyrie and I really don't want to lose Jaylen ... and I don't want to get into whether such a trade would ever realistically happen .... but man, I gotta admit that the resulting roster of that transaction is pretty awesome.   A Davis+Horford+Tatum front court would be ridiculous.
There are only like 3 teams that I think would reasonably give up good value for Kyrie, so if he is traded it has to be to NY, Brooklyn, or the Clippers.  I don't think any other team would feel comfortable enough taking a chance on Kyrie not leaving next summer (and frankly maybe only the Knicks do).  The Knicks don't have the type of the players the Celtics would want, but they do have some nice assets (both in young players and Kanter's expiring deal), which is why I was looking at a 3 team trade. 

With the Pelicans losing again and just looking awful on the road, I do think there is a chance that he actually gets moved this year and Boston only comes into play if Irving goes out.  The Knicks assets on their own probably aren't enough for Davis, which is why I added in Brown and Boston's 1st (i.e. the one that will be in the late 20's) plus Yabu as salary filler (and at least a guy worth looking at).  By including Moore, they get out of some long term salary and he would be a solid bench addition for the C's anyway.  Let's the Pelicans really start over, Boston upgrades, and the Knicks get their 2nd star to pair with the Zinger.

I don't think any of the trades mentioned above are likely to happen.

But -- speaking of the Knicks -- I think if the Celts miss out on Anthony Davis, it wouldnt' shock me if the Celts look into trading pieces for Kristaps.  Assuming, of course, that he looks solid coming back from his injury.

Kristaps would probably be an easier get than AD and would cost less on the cap sheet.

Feels like an Ainge-y move to me.

Agreed. KP always seemed like a player Ainge might've been high on, plus would cost less, could fit our system better, and he could have a Myles Turner effect. Great friends with Kyrie, and can play 4 or 5. Also would allow Horford to get immediate rest if he's tired. (Top 3 in BPG.)
why would the Knicks move the Zinger?  He is far less likely to be moved than Davis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
This thread is funny, some of you guys really crack me up.

Thank goodness Danny ain't dumb enough to trade Kyrie for some of the pathetic returns I've seen proposed in this thread.

Rubio? Ricky freakin' Rubio!? LOL.....

Rubio for Kyrie and I might drop dead soon after. :)

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Thank goodness Danny ain't dumb enough to trade Kyrie for some of the pathetic returns I've seen proposed in this thread.

Who said anything about Rubio for Kyrie

I proposed

Multiple 1sts and Jamal Murray or Gary Harris or Buddy Hield or Dennis Smith Jr.

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
STOP....JUST STOP  >:(

Id trade Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Brown et al before Kyrie.

In a Finals or in the playoffs in general, you need a cold blooded Kyrie Irving...The guy has been in the EFC/Finals in the last 4 years.and heck if he wasn'tinjured last year, we could have dethroned the King in the ECF.

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Who said anything about Rubio for Kyrie

Uh...

Imagine Rubio on this team? I think we'd be once again the favorites in the east with a guy like that.

But quite frankly, that's only marginally worse than these proposals:

I proposed

Multiple 1sts and Jamal Murray or Gary Harris or Buddy Hield or Dennis Smith Jr.

All of those players are measurably inferior than Kyrie, would make the team worse, and none of the picks those teams could send us would make up the difference in value.

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:53 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Out of all the players
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Trading Kyrie for Kawhi and starting Rozier might have made sense.

Trading Kyrie as a mid-season rental and starting Rozier is foolhardy.
doesn't it depend on the package.  What about something like this?

Boston - Davis, Moore
New York - Irving
New Orleans - Brown, Yabu, Kanter, Knox, Ntkilina, Bos 1st, NY top 5 protected 1st

That would seemingly make sense for all 3 teams.  I mean I get it would be nice to have Davis with Irving, but if it is was one or the other I'd much rather have Davis even at the expense of other assets. 

So post trade

Boston
PG - Rozier, Smart, Wanamaker
SG - Hayward, Smart, Moore
SF - Tatum, Hayward, Semi
PF - Davis, Morris, Theis
C - Horford, Baynes, Williams

I think that team is more likely to not only win the east but also the championship.  That team has a bit more certainty this summer since Davis is locked up next year.

I don't want to hate on Kyrie and I really don't want to lose Jaylen ... and I don't want to get into whether such a trade would ever realistically happen .... but man, I gotta admit that the resulting roster of that transaction is pretty awesome.   A Davis+Horford+Tatum front court would be ridiculous.
There are only like 3 teams that I think would reasonably give up good value for Kyrie, so if he is traded it has to be to NY, Brooklyn, or the Clippers.  I don't think any other team would feel comfortable enough taking a chance on Kyrie not leaving next summer (and frankly maybe only the Knicks do).  The Knicks don't have the type of the players the Celtics would want, but they do have some nice assets (both in young players and Kanter's expiring deal), which is why I was looking at a 3 team trade. 

With the Pelicans losing again and just looking awful on the road, I do think there is a chance that he actually gets moved this year and Boston only comes into play if Irving goes out.  The Knicks assets on their own probably aren't enough for Davis, which is why I added in Brown and Boston's 1st (i.e. the one that will be in the late 20's) plus Yabu as salary filler (and at least a guy worth looking at).  By including Moore, they get out of some long term salary and he would be a solid bench addition for the C's anyway.  Let's the Pelicans really start over, Boston upgrades, and the Knicks get their 2nd star to pair with the Zinger.

I don't think any of the trades mentioned above are likely to happen.

But -- speaking of the Knicks -- I think if the Celts miss out on Anthony Davis, it wouldnt' shock me if the Celts look into trading pieces for Kristaps.  Assuming, of course, that he looks solid coming back from his injury.

Kristaps would probably be an easier get than AD and would cost less on the cap sheet.

Feels like an Ainge-y move to me.

Agreed. KP always seemed like a player Ainge might've been high on, plus would cost less, could fit our system better, and he could have a Myles Turner effect. Great friends with Kyrie, and can play 4 or 5. Also would allow Horford to get immediate rest if he's tired. (Top 3 in BPG.)
why would the Knicks move the Zinger?  He is far less likely to be moved than Davis.

Why not?

Knicks declined KP's rookie max extension in lieu of having $10 million extra cap space. If they manage to lose out on FA, or sign someone desperately with another overpaid contract, (knowing the Knicks, wouldn't put it past them,) KP could get disgruntled or upset with the structure and future of the team's success.

KP is also great friends with Irving, and while he loves NY, there has been reports of numerous tension and exasperation as to the road that the Knicks are currently on. Remember, he once called out Phil Jackson, so the Knicks better pray they can get an Allstar level kind of talent. Not to mention KP is also coming off an ACL injury, so Knicks should be patient, but it isn't far fetched to believe in a year or two, KP may or may not be on the Knicks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
No. Just no.

It's always better to try to make more talent work, than to trade talent for less talent, just because the pieces seemingly would fit better.

Besides, maybe its Hayward's fault that he isn't playing well with Irving, not Irving's? Hayward has never played with a player like Irving. Why is it Irving's fault?

Tatum plays well (sometimes) with Irving. Horford plays well with Irving. Smart is playing the best basketball of his career with Irving. Morris plays well with Irving.

Brown played well with Irving last year, but has struggled with his new role this year.

Honestly, I love Rozier, but if he isn't fitting in well with Irving, you side with the superstar, not the potentially solid starter.

So the three that seemingly aren't playing well are:
Rozier - Who cares?
Hayward - Injury and hasn't played with a guy like Irving before
Brown - still developing and adjusting

What's the problem? Why would anyone trade a superstar because the role players aren't playing well with him? Maybe we should get a guy who plays better with Irving, instead of the other way around. Keep upper talent (Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Williams) and get guys that fit around them.

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
saw the thread title and immediately knew it needed to be corrected to "trade Irving for the sake of the other team"  because moving him removes our top scorer that can get us the buckets we need down the stretch of close games.

yup.....got to have him in the playoffs away games , big moments ,  he can score on the OTHER guys home court , when Rozier, Brown , Tatum and rest get rattled , uyeah ....who ya gonna call ?  thats right , Smart to get the stop and Uncle Drew to get the winning bucket .

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I remember vaguely this thing called "playoffs".

As in, Kyrie is good at it.

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No. Just no.

It's always better to try to make more talent work, than to trade talent for less talent, just because the pieces seemingly would fit better.

Besides, maybe its Hayward's fault that he isn't playing well with Irving, not Irving's? Hayward has never played with a player like Irving. Why is it Irving's fault?

Tatum plays well (sometimes) with Irving. Horford plays well with Irving. Smart is playing the best basketball of his career with Irving. Morris plays well with Irving.

Brown played well with Irving last year, but has struggled with his new role this year.

Honestly, I love Rozier, but if he isn't fitting in well with Irving, you side with the superstar, not the potentially solid starter.

So the three that seemingly aren't playing well are:
Rozier - Who cares?
Hayward - Injury and hasn't played with a guy like Irving before
Brown - still developing and adjusting

What's the problem? Why would anyone trade a superstar because the role players aren't playing well with him? Maybe we should get a guy who plays better with Irving, instead of the other way around. Keep upper talent (Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Williams) and get guys that fit around them.

-Horford has been invisble this season

True about the rest.  And we dont know if Morris is playing his best due to Kyrie/contract year/offseason prep. Smart plays the same way regardless

Overall

Hayward, Brown, Rozier , Horford and to some extent Tatum all having down years

But suddenly last night most come alive??

Explain...

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I remember vaguely this thing called "playoffs".

As in, Kyrie is good at it.

Kyrie is not a one man show

He cant carry this team alone to a title

No modern player can

A team as to thrive collectively

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Keep Kyrie this year and then let him walk.

I would not give him a max contract. He is too small to pay a max contract, like IT.

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Because they have so little talent on their roster and Kristaps alone is probably not going to save them.  I think it'd be smart of them to trade him in for multiple assets, including the handful of first round picks the Celts can offer. 

He's a RFA this summer, though, so maybe they'll try to sign him long term first.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ok lets see what happens while Irving is away

I bet though several guys everyone has been disappointed in, suddenly perform/play better