they only opened up like a million dollars though right?
Memphis-Sacramento trade. Wonder how this will affect our future drafts.
We should be more concerned about what the Kings might do with the cap room they just opened up, especially w/r/t Smart (though they'll probably go after Capela first).
As I heard on a podcast yesterday, this deal opens up almost exactly the amount of space the kings would need to absorb Ryan Anderson's contract.
If the Kings stretched Labissierre (or Mason, or anyone else), they could completely receive Anderson into their cap space, which gives the Rockets a 20 million dollar trade exemption. The Rockets would need to send back at least one first round pick.
The Kings get a legit shooter to help stretch the floor and make the game easier for Fox, Hield, Giles, and Bagley. They also get a first round pick.
The Rockets get the space to offer Capella a max. They weren't afraid of the luxury tax, but this way they are paying the luxury tax for worth players. If the Rockets timed the signings correctly, they could still use a full MLE and Biannual exemption before they resign Capella, and then fill out their roster with minimum contracts.
If they were able to offer Melo more money, it might make the buy-out process smoother in OKC (or Brooklyn if he gets traded with a first for Crabbe).
1. Traded Ryan Anderson and Rockets 2019 First Round Pick for protected Kings 2nd
2. Waived Zhou Qi in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
3. Renounced $ 3,948,000 2018-19 cap hold for Tarik Black
4. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Joe Johnson
5. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
6. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for Markel Brown
7. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for R.J. Hunter
8. Signed Carmelo Anthony to 1yrs/$ 8,641,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception
9. Signed Clint Capela to 4yrs/$ 114,093,280 contract starting in 2018-19 using Larry Bird Exception
10. Signed James Ennis to 2yrs/$ 3,025,202 contract starting in 2018-19 using 4-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
11. Signed Michael Carter-Williams to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 2-Year Vet. Minimum Exception