Author Topic: Crazy to think Tatum already has a better playoff career than Hayward  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Hayward is not the 4th best player on the team.. GH is still the 2nd most important player next to Kyrie. But Hayward may defer to either Brown or Tatum in terms of scoring but GH will help this team in so many ways other than score.

Im going to just savor every record being shattered by our beloved rook during this playoff run. He will beat Kareems record in 20+ playoff scoring in the next game or two so sky's the limit.

I don't know how to rank the players, but I will say this: if the Cs lost Al instead of Gordon for the year, we would not still be playing.

This isn't about whether Al is "better" than Gordon in the abstract. It's that there is nobody else who gives the Cs what he does. We have several wings, who range from all-star (Hayward) to future all-star (Tatum, probably Brown). For most of the year we had another elite scorer (Kyrie) and we still can find points with our talent and motion. But without Al, the anchor of our defense, critical floor-spacer, solid passer, the falloff to his replacement would be very steep.

Some love for Al, please.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Regarding Tatum and Brown, they're only going to get better when Hayward comes back next season.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hayward is not the 4th best player on the team.. GH is still the 2nd most important player next to Kyrie. But Hayward may defer to either Brown or Tatum in terms of scoring but GH will help this team in so many ways other than score.

Im going to just savor every record being shattered by our beloved rook during this playoff run. He will beat Kareems record in 20+ playoff scoring in the next game or two so sky's the limit.
No, but he'll likely be the least important starter next year. We have 2-3 guys that can replicate what he does.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Gordon Hayward career playoff stats:  19.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.9 steals - 40%/36%/95% shooting - 15 games with 4 wins

Jayson Tatum career playoff stats:  18.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals - 46%/33%/84%  - 17 games with 11 wins

Hayward put up great stats in the playoffs last year, but he has only been out of the first round once in his entire career. 

I feel bad for Gordon for a number of reasons, but one of them is that the guy came to Boston thinking he'd be "the man", but after the Kyrie trade, the injuries and the emergence of our young guys, there's a possibility he's going to be the 3rd or 4th best player on this team heading forward. 

Granted, I thought healthy Hayward was the best two-way player on the team.  I hope the guy can get healthy.

What do you think the Celtics will do with all these guys?  Can they possibly keep them all?

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Lol don’t sleep on Hayward! I think many will be pleasantly surprised at how good we’ve got it in the wings position next year. GH is a better player than Tatum right now in practically every facet of the game (maybe not dunking but GH can get up nonetheless).
- LilRip

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Why do we INSIST on pitting our players against each other?!?
Because we are all drama queens?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Lol don’t sleep on Hayward! I think many will be pleasantly surprised at how good we’ve got it in the wings position next year. GH is a better player than Tatum right now in practically every facet of the game (maybe not dunking but GH can get up nonetheless).

If Gordon is better in Every Facet... it's not by much... But there is no Denying that  Tatum as a Rookie is very comparable to Gordon as an 8-year vet...
And next year Tatum could (and most likely will) make a serious jump in his game...

We have to keep in mind that this is his first time around the Track... This thing he is doing in the playoffs is simply special... 

Tatum will be better than Gordon when its all said and done... This is inevitable...  If he is not better at this moment he is darn darn close.   He has that "it" factor..

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

If Gordon is better in Every Facet... it's not by much... But there is no Denying that  Tatum as a Rookie is very comparable to Gordon as an 8-year vet...
And next year Tatum could (and most likely will) make a serious jump in his game...

We have to keep in mind that this is his first time around the Track... This thing he is doing in the playoffs is simply special... 

Tatum will be better than Gordon when its all said and done... This is inevitable...  If he is not better at this moment he is darn darn close.   He has that "it" factor..
Okay, so what?

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Okay, so what?
lol, so nothing. It doesn't matter who is better.. for now.

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
This isn’t aimed at the original point (i.e, Tatum’s playoff record versus Gordon’s), but really, who cares about who is the better player? I get it in terms of how exciting it is to have a young potential all star on the team (possibly stars, given Brown’s performance), but let’s not forget that Hayward has actually produced these stats throughout the course of a season and proven a level of consistency that is admirable in its own right.

Tatum is really good. The comparisons to Pierce, Paul George, Danny Granger, (insert other all star) are all justified and exciting. And Hayward? Hayward is also really good; his ability to put up 20, 5, and 5 is documented and, again, exciting. I think the most exciting part of this entire scenario is that basketball is in a state in which two players with profiles similar to Tatum and Hayward can coexist and thrive, unlike 15 or so years ago when we would have needed a traditional big to round out the roster.

It’s a good time to be a fan of this exceptionally talented and deep team.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Okay, so what?
lol, so nothing. It doesn't matter who is better.. for now.
Well, I agree then.  Like I said previously, no sense in pitting our guys against each other.  Be happy we have BOTH.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Good thread. TP to the OP.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Gordon Hayward career playoff stats:  19.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.9 steals - 40%/36%/95% shooting - 15 games with 4 wins

Jayson Tatum career playoff stats:  18.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals - 46%/33%/84%  - 17 games with 11 wins

Hayward put up great stats in the playoffs last year, but he has only been out of the first round once in his entire career. 

I feel bad for Gordon for a number of reasons, but one of them is that the guy came to Boston thinking he'd be "the man", but after the Kyrie trade, the injuries and the emergence of our young guys, there's a possibility he's going to be the 3rd or 4th best player on this team heading forward. 

Granted, I thought healthy Hayward was the best two-way player on the team.  I hope the guy can get healthy.

I don't think Hayward signed to become "the man."  He liked the team (especially wanting to play with IT and Al, as I recall), the City and, most importantly, the coach.

Not sure what purpose this comparison serves, other than to stir some pot of contention.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I mean, yeah, Tatum will likely be better than Hayward.  I don't think that's controversial.

Tatum has to develop, but he's only 20 and he's already the #1 scorer on a potential finals team, is #2 all time in consecutive 20-point playoff games for a rookie, and will almost certainly become the all time rookie playoff leading scorer if we win 1 more game. 

And of 19 year old NBA players, I think only Lebron, Kobe, Durant and Melo had better PERs.  So he's got a decent shot at being better than all but the top 5-10 players in the entire NBA in a few years, based on how good he already is now, and based on his abilities now vs. other players who had those abilities at this same age.

But the thing is, Hayward hasn't played a season with the Celtics yet.  Tatum has.  So while it seems crazy that the 20 year old has a better resume than the 28 year old, it's actually the 28 year old who hasn't had the experience.  We all know the Jazz, even now, are not the Celtics.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Ya, but Hayward's numbers were in the Western Conference, while Tatum's are from the East.  That's like comparing the stats of somebody playing a game on Extreme difficulty with somebody playing on Easy.

To be fair, the West is at least 2x harder then the East, so I think we should apply a factor of 2 to all of Hayward's stats to fairly adjust so it's an apples to apples comparison.

So Hayward was basically averaging 39.2/10.4/6.6/1.8 on 80%/72%/190% shooting had he played in the East.

And if you think those stats look crazy, we'll now verify this 2x factor by looking at Isaiah's stats going from East to West.  He dropped from 30 to 15ppg, 0.9 to 0.4spg, 0.2 to 0.1bpg, and 1 All-D team vote to 0.  Math checks out.

So you just got to know how to do the math.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class