Author Topic: No 2nd Rounders This Year... (What Will Danny Do About It?)  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
We got #27 in the first round, and that's it. Our 2nd rounder goes to OKC.

Think Ainge gets creative and finds a way to trade for 2nd rounder(s) WITHOUT trading down from #27? Or is the assumption that we just draft a late first rounder and call it a day?

I honestly hope we keep #27. Seems like there's been a lot of hidden talent that can be found there, like Kuzma, Gobert, Crawford, etc. Obviously it's hard to tell if the guy you pick there is going to be a gem or pan out to be nothing, but I do think there are a lot of intriguing options that will be available for us there.

There could be in the 2nd round too, but we don't have a 2nd rounder unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:24:11 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: No 2nd Rounders This Year...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:36:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He might be able to buy one for cash

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
He might be able to buy one for cash

Maybe we can get the next Rondo that way again!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Dont need anymore picks..roster will be full next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I just don’t see the need. We have a roster crunch as it is.

We can resign Larkin for depth, got a ton of swings, Theis will be back to protect the paint and spread the floor. Hopefully we can resign Baynes (or Monroe or another big with the MLE).

The only way it makes sense for us is if Ainge combines assets for a superstar, then we need cheap guys to fill the roster.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
How many roster spots are we lijely to have? Assuming we bring back Smart and Baynes and keep guys like Semi and Yabu then its really Larkin, Monroe, and maybe Nader we replace. One of those spors for vet big, one for #27, not lije we have alot of room for second round picks

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We have Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader and Theis we are developing at the NBA level. We have Bird and Allen we developed as two way players. We have the #27 pick coming in. We have upwards of 4 first round draft picks next year.

So why do we need a 2nd rounder to try to develop this year. There's only so many roster slots available and most likely one or two of the empty slots this year will be filled by veteran bigs.

There is just zero need for a 2nd round pick this year. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ainge sell or trade the #27 pick.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As always, it depends on as to who elects to stay in the draft and the depth of the class, about which I am uncertain in terms of the latter.

That said, and I realize that I'm beating a dead horse, here, but I would opt for Charles Matthews/Rawle Alkins at 27 and then hope that Ben Lammers, for example, goes undrafted, so yeah, I'd start there.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We have Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader and Theis we are developing at the NBA level. We have Bird and Allen we developed as two way players. We have the #27 pick coming in. We have upwards of 4 first round draft picks next year.

So why do we need a 2nd rounder to try to develop this year. There's only so many roster slots available and most likely one or two of the empty slots this year will be filled by veteran bigs.

There is just zero need for a 2nd round pick this year. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ainge sell or trade the #27 pick.
Agree with this. We have so much youth that needs to develop, we're going to have a hard time fitting any new guys in.

That being said, I am praying we cut Nader and pick up someone at #27 to replace him - a Grayson Allen / Trent Jr. type player. Maybe not another Dukie to save tarheels some pain, but any 2 guard we pick there will almost instantly be better than Nader, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We really don't need more projects on this roster right now.  I won't be at all surprised if the 1st round pick is a draft and stash.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Jabari Bird will replace Nader on the roster. He is ready. Nader never was nor will be.

Jabari Bird will contribute next year. His length, athleticism and consequent defensive ability, backdoor cuts and 3 ball will get him into the backend of the rotation sometime next year.

He is like a 2nd round pick this year, only more talented AND ready.

I shoot for the moon with 27....bust or kaboom!!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Too many guys on the team already. I'd have a deal in place to move 27 for a protected 1st next year if I dont love who is available at 27, forget wanting even more picks.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
We really don't need more projects on this roster right now.  I won't be at all surprised if the 1st round pick is a draft and stash.

Has everyone already forgotten about 2016? God was that a nightmare.

Jabari Bird will replace Nader on the roster. He is ready. Nader never was nor will be.

Jabari Bird will contribute next year. His length, athleticism and consequent defensive ability, backdoor cuts and 3 ball will get him into the backend of the rotation sometime next year.

He is like a 2nd round pick this year, only more talented AND ready.

I shoot for the moon with 27....bust or kaboom!!

I'll be interested to see as to which of those dudes at the end of the bench will remain on the roster going forward, because while I agree that Bird should definitely be on the team next year, should we really keep Jonathan Gibson, Kadeem Allen, and Yabusele, for starters, not to mention Larkin?

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Agree with this. We have so much youth that needs to develop, we're going to have a hard time fitting any new guys in.

That being said, I am praying we cut Nader and pick up someone at #27 to replace him - a Grayson Allen / Trent Jr. type player. Maybe not another Dukie to save tarheels some pain, but any 2 guard we pick there will almost instantly be better than Nader, lol.

While I understand this stance, wasn't that also the argument coming into this season? Granted, widespread injuries such as those suffered by the Celtics this year thankfully aren't usually the norm, but you never know, and put me down for a hell-to-the-no in terms of drafting Grayson Allen. Dude's a punk who has no place in the NBA, imo...except, perhaps, for Golden State lmfa0 #DraymondAndDrayson #DrayDray ;D.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The only reason to get a second rounder is if we plan on signing Bird and want someone else to take his 2-way spot
I'm bitter.