Author Topic: Over/Under on Westbrook getting 16 rebounds in last game  (Read 4848 times)

Over/Under on Westbrook getting 16 rebounds in last game
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He needs those 16 rebounds to once again average a triple double.  The Thunder are in a battle for seeding, so they do need to win, so he will play in their last game against Memphis.

So, what do you think the percentage odds are of Westbrook getting 16 rebounds.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Over/Under on Westbrook getting 16 rebounds in last game
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
💯

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am not so sure how me applying a percentage chance will have any validity, so I will just say 'pretty good'. Everybody knows what he will be trying to do so teammates will get out of his way on most rebound opportunities. Memphis shouldn't be trying to win so that should help, too.

Honestly, I am not a huge Westbrook fan, but I do hope he gets there. It is a neat statistical feat and being able to do it two years in a row would be even more impressive - especially with the added help he has had this year from George and Anthony.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I hope Russell makes it. In sports, I constantly hear players talking about taking their games to the next level for the playoffs. Well, that just tells me that their not giving 100% effort for every game during the regular season. When I watch Westbrook play, he always seems to play with maximum effort all the time. He deserves the recognition of averaging a triple double for two seasons in a row.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
About as close to a sure thing the NBA has had since Stern retired. The marketing opportunity is too good.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I wonder how it's handled if Westbrook grabs only 12-15 rebounds?  That would put his average between 9.95 and 9.9875.  In a world where they typically only show stats to one decimal place, that will come off as 10.0.  I guess I can see the the ABC/ESPN/NBA hype machine promoting it like it's another triple double season, while us "stat geeks" and hardcore fans will argue "well technically, he didn't average a triple double..."

I guess another question is who does OKC want to face in the first round? Even if it doesn't make the most sense, you know part of them would love the chance to face a Curry-less GS if they stick at #7.  Unsure of how all those tie breakers might work out West, could they fall to #8 with a loss, because that's definitely an unwise move.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I guess another question is who does OKC want to face in the first round? Even if it doesn't make the most sense, you know part of them would love the chance to face a Curry-less GS if they stick at #7.  Unsure of how all those tie breakers might work out West, could they fall to #8 with a loss, because that's definitely an unwise move.

CBS posted this about 12 hours ago.

Note: Final game is against New Orleans; 9-6 division record
7. Oklahoma City Thunder (47-34)

Win tiebreakers over: Jazz (3-1)
Lose tiebreakers to: Timberwolves (3-1), Pelicans (2-1), Nuggets (3-1), Blazers (4-0)
Split series: Spurs (2-2)
Note: Final game is against Memphis; 5-11 division record

8. Minnesota Timberwolves (46-35)

Win tiebreakers over: Thunder (3-1), Pelicans (4-0), Nuggets (2-1)
Lose tiebreakers to: Spurs (2-1)
Split series: Jazz (2-2)
Note: Final game is against Denver; 9-6 division record

9. Denver Nuggets (46-35)

Win tiebreakers over: Thunder (3-1), Pelicans (2-1)
Lose tiebreakers to: Timberwolves (2-1)
Split series: Jazz (2-2), Spurs (2-2)
Note: Final game is against Minnesota; 9-6 division record

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Westbrook needs to be careful with this.  Now he got his 18 in a nice win in Miami but it is not going to be a good look if he gets the 16 rebs he needs but they lose and miss the playoffs.

Let me update this.  Since Min and Denver play against each other, one of them has to lose so there is no way that OKC doesn't make the playoffs (they have clinched).  Westbrook will just go for it as he should.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Westbrook needs to be careful with this.  Now he got his 18 in a nice win in Miami but it is not going to be a good look if he gets the 16 rebs he needs but they lose and miss the playoffs.

They can't miss the playoffs but they can drop to the 8 seed.  They're in.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I hope Russell makes it. In sports, I constantly hear players talking about taking their games to the next level for the playoffs. Well, that just tells me that their not giving 100% effort for every game during the regular season. When I watch Westbrook play, he always seems to play with maximum effort all the time. He deserves the recognition of averaging a triple double for two seasons in a row.

Let’s not get it twisted... He does it for the stats.

But I say he should go for it and win the game and face GSW instead of Houston.

That could be a fun series.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Do we think it's a coincidence that 3 of Westbrook's best rebounding games of the season have come in the last 4 games (with 15,16, 7, 18)?

So here's my prediction:  Westbrook initially get's 16 rebounds.  But some Reddit user points out that the scorekeeper incorrectly gave one of Jerami Grant's rebounds to Westbrook, so it's retroactively taken away.  Westbrook technically ends up avg 9.9875, but all the broadcasters call it 10 and show it as 10.0 anyway, with only Jeff Van Gundy (during any ABC broadcasts) and Charles Barkley (during the TNT shows) speaking out against it.

Barkley: Listen, I love Westbrook, I think he's a great kid, what he did last year was phenomenal, I think he had a great year this year, but he didn't average no triple double.

Shaq: You just jealous.  He just jealous Ernie (said while Barkley's speaking).

Ernie:  So Charles, you're telling me, the numbers say 10.0, that's what the numbers say.  This isn't something special they're doing just for Westbrook here.  It's the math.

Kenny:  But with rounding!

Shaq:  Chuck don't know no math.

Barkley:  I know I had more triple doubles than you!

Shaq: Psh, please.  Count the rings.

Barkely:  How about I go count Kobe's rings.

Shaq:  Still more than you.  Still more than you.  Even Kenny got more than you.

Goes to commercial with them arguing.  Something like that I'm sure.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:43:23 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do we think it's a coincidence that 3 of Westbrook's best rebounding games of the season have come in the last 4 games (with 15,16, 7, 18)?

So here's my prediction:  Westbrook initially get's 16 rebounds.  But some Reddit user points out that the scorekeeper incorrectly gave one of Jerami Grant's rebounds to Westbrook, so it's retroactively taken away.  Westbrook technically ends up avg 9.9875, but all the broadcasters call it 10 and show it as 10.0 anyway, with only Jeff Van Gundy (during any ABC broadcasts) and Charles Barkley (during the TNT shows) speaking out against it.

Barkley: Listen, I love Westbrook, I think he's a great kid, what he did last year phenomenal, I think he had a great year this year, but he didn't average no triple double.

Shaq: You just jealous.  He just jealous Ernie (said while Barkley's speaking).

Ernie:  So Charles, you're telling me, the numbers say 10.0, that's what the numbers say.  This isn't something special they're doing just for Westbrook here.  It's the math.

Kenny:  But with rounding!

Shaq:  Chuck don't know no math.

Barkley:  I know I had more triple doubles than you!

Shaq: Psh, please.  Count the rings.

Barkely:  How about I go count Kobe's rings.

Shaq:  Still more than you.  Still more than you.  Even Kenny got more than you.

Goes to commercial with them arguing.  Something like that I'm sure.
With the general ease you seem to have come up with this dialogue and how realistic it seems, I can't help wonder how much of TNT's preshow is scripted, WWE style. Lol.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The big question is how will everyone else not get rebounds?

Will they all just run away when a shot goes up?  Passively helping.

Could we see the dramatic return of the box-out?  Actually playing team ball.

I'd vote on dudes just running away from the basketball. Nobody knows how to box out anymore.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 04:58:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The big question is how will everyone else not get rebounds?

Will they all just run away when a shot goes up?  Passively helping.

Could we see the dramatic return of the box-out?  Actually playing team ball.

I'd vote on dudes just running away from the basketball. Nobody knows how to box out anymore.
It's extremely easy to deliver rebounds to the guards if there is a concerted team strategy. Just look at Bradley's outlier year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I hope so. I am pulling for him.