Author Topic: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]  (Read 19217 times)

What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As players start to declare for the draft we will see many declare without an agent in order to test their stock and get feedback from the league. Many of these players are raw and need more time in college but some will come out regardless. This brings me to this posts title "Could/should Celtics target a boom or bust prospect".

The players who first come to mind for me as guys who where elite college recruits who really need more time to develop but may declare and stay in the draft anyways.

Trevon Duval
PG Duke, he is a freshman who was 6th in the class of 2017 espn 100 recruits

Hamidou Diallo
wing UK, he is a freshman who was 11th in the class of 2016 espn 100 recruits

Mitchell Robinson Center , he would have been a freshman had he attended college was 11th in the class of 2017 espn 100 recruits

Gary Trent Jr wing duke, he is a freshman who was 8th in the class of 2017 espn 100 recruits

Anternee Simons guard, he is a 5th year highschool player who is 7th in the class of 2018 espn 100 recruits

two other player I would qualify with this above group though they do not share the same high school pe

Omar Yurtseven center NC State, sophmore

Kostas Antetokounmpo wing dayton, red-shirt freshman

Out of these 7 Robinson is typically projected just outside the lottery, Duval and Simons in the 20s, and the rest range from late 1st to undrafted. All of these players have alot of developmental potential and could prove to be steals in the future. At the same time they are also players that carry a high bust potential.

Out of that list I can particularly see DA having interest in Duval who has a similar athletic profile to Rozier or Avery Bradely and Diallo who has a similar profile to a smaller Jaylen Brown. Both players would have to spend a lot of time in Maine but could have major future value to the team. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:02:58 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Could/should Celtics target a boom or bust prospect
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Sure. I'm down with any of these guys if Danny thinks he can play in the NBA. Assuming we draft around 26 or higher, I'm not hoping for too much here.

I'd be ok if Danny traded the pick for a veteran who can play.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm okay for doing this if it's a long athletic player with a motor. At the very least you can then expect solid defense at his position when he is in. If he is an undersized guy it rarely works out.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Unfortunately I have fallen in love with Robert Williams as a prospect. Most sites and mocks have him between 14 and 22, so I'm wishing we could find a way to move up for him if he slides to the back half of that range.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the player can be stashed, I have no problem with this. Or if either Nader or Semi or both are moved or given their walking papers, then again, I have no problem with bringing a project onto the main roster.

But what I don't want is a deep bench consisting of Yabusele, Nader, Ojeleye, and another project. That puts a ton of expectations on your 11 man rotation to stay healthy in a contending year because there's no experienced, somewhat skilled vets on that deep bench.

Given we could have as many as 4 1st round picks in 2019, maybe the best route is to consolidate some of these picks and trade for a really good rotational player, maybe a big to replace Monroe or Baynes.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hopefully they find the next DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela type player drafted late

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't see any of the players the OP mentioned really being a good player. Diallo and Robinson are overrated athletes with a terrible feel for the game of basketball. Kostas is two years away from being two years away. I'm not sure he ever gets much better. Trent looks like a possible end-of-bench player.

I do like Simmons some, but the amount of resources necessary to change his shooting form, develop his passing, and improve his decision-making may be too much for a contending team.

I do like Duval and Yurt as bench players, but I don't view them as a boom (starter) or bust prospects.

Jontay Porter is overweight and a below average athlete, but his feel for the game and shooting are great for a big man. If he could improve his athleticism by losing weight, he could be a really valuable player/starter.

I think Kerwin Roach has some potential as a Lou Williams/Will Barton type of player, but he might not really get good until his second contract.

Keita Bates-Diop is somehow both underrated and overrated at the same time. I doubt he can be a starting player, but he looks like a rotation guy to me in the right situation.

Isaac Bonga is a 6'9'' point guard from Germany that has potential to be a starting caliber player.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 03:05:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I don't see any of the players the OP mentioned really being a good player. Diallo and Robinson are overrated athletes with a terrible feel for the game of basketball. Kostas is two years away from being two years away. I'm not sure he ever gets much better. Trent looks like a possible end-of-bench player.

I do like Simmons some, but the amount of resources necessary to change his shooting form, develop his passing, and improve his decision-making may be too much for a contending team.

I do like Duval and Yurt as bench players, but I don't view them as a boom (starter) or bust prospects.

Jontay Porter is overweight and a below average athlete, but his feel for the game and shooting are great for a big man. If he could improve his athleticism by losing weight, he could be a really valuable player/starter.

I think Kerwin Roach has some potential as a Lou Williams/Will Barton type of player, but he might not really get good until his second contract.

Keita Bates-Diop is somehow both underrated and overrated at the same time. I doubt he can be a starting player, but he looks like a rotation guy to me in the right situation.

Isaac Bonga is a 6'9'' point guard from Germany that has potential to be a starting caliber player.

Yeah, Yurtseven seems to be a Danny guy - a big who can handle and pass, and shoot. I'd be happy if we took him.. Porter is sneaky underrated, I suspect he will climb as the draft nears.

PG situation next year will be interesting. I suspect Larkin will move on looking for a long-term deal now - given his super solid year. Something in the Evan Turner range ;)

It seems that the date for matching RFA offers is after the draft, so it is a bit trickier to know about Duval (who I reaaallly like). If we let Marcus go, then we will definitely have a positional need. On the other hand, there are millions of vet PGs who we could trade for (even using the pick in the trade, and it might be better for us to have more experienced depth next year when our window is fully open. I don't like the idea of a late first round rookie PG seeing serious minutes next year.

Also when do Draftexpress release all those "Strengths/Weaknesses" videos for prospects? They are really good to get an idea of what holes guys have.. (I remember watching Kuzma's weaknesses video and thinking "no way on this dude" - so sometimes they get it wrongish)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:19:09 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 03:23:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/the-end-of-an-era-6070/

Someone reaaaaaally needs to fill this gaping hole in the internet. 2 TPs to anyone who can recommend good online similar resources..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
What do you guys think of Duke's Wendell Carter, jr? 6'10, 18 years old...could be a nice big down the road. If he doesn't declare for the draft, could he be in the running for the Kings' pick next year?

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 03:39:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Would love any big tbh
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:57:26 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/the-end-of-an-era-6070/

Someone reaaaaaally needs to fill this gaping hole in the internet. 2 TPs to anyone who can recommend good online similar resources..

User Jacksonhoy on Reddit posted a Google doc of all the measurements of all this year's prospects.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jyms0Yn7e8YfYMseTGXeQbds5oiCGrq6K899z5-BSIs/edit#gid=853612

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/86vug4/now_that_draftexpress_is_completely_useless_whats/dw8b608

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Ainge already gave Sullinger a chance and got burnt.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m not sure about boom or bust, but I’m praying Brandon McCoy is available
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Ainge already gave Sullinger a chance and got burnt.

I don't consider Jontay a boom or bust prospect. He is already is really skilled with positional size at only 18. His floor is much higher then a lot of the prospects I have listed. His ceiling is really going to be married to his physical development/refinement and his outside shot. With a consistent 3pt shot and an improved body he could be a Al Horford like big man.

As for the Sully comp lets not forget how productive Sully was as a Celtic. In his 3 years as a primary role player/ starter he averaged 12pt 8rb. I would hardly say DA or the Cs got burnt. They upgraded his position with Horford. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet