Author Topic: If you were Gronk, what would you do?  (Read 7175 times)

Re: If you were Gronk, what would you do?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It all really depends on how he feels physically.  If I was him and I still felt pretty good, I would come back and bank more cash.  The acting, WWE, etc. will all still be there a year or two from now.  No reason to go into that field now and give up the football which won't be there forever.

Regardless of the cash, it must not be a good feeling for Gronk if he thinks the Pats are nickeling and diming him. Esp. after he has laid it out all out there for old rich guys like Kraft and Belichick.

Belichick makes $7.5m a year, putting him in 2nd behind Sean Payton ($8m). I wonder if Bill would be willing to make below his market value like some of his players. Would he stick around for $3-4m per year? I'm not sure.
Where did you get this number?

The've never released details and speculation seems to be he is making upwards of 10 million. Also, Gruden is making 10 mil a year.

Yeah, you're right. I think this was an old stat from Forbes. Belichick is most likely making more. He might make more than Gronk.

My point isn't to say that Belichick is overpaid, but rather point out that neither Kraft nor Belichick are taking a hometown discount. They are both compensated handsomely.

Even if I think Gronk makes a ton of money, it doesn't really matter. His perception of his salary is what matters. I wouldn't be shocked if Gronk thinks he can make similar money without taking as many physical risks.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
As a 50 year old guy my mind easily says retire.
As a former athlete I don't know that I could walk away that easy from the game, the competition and the money at that age.
I finished my career by saying next major injury I'm done.  Broke my leg and that was it, kept my word to myself.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
It depends on how big the salary gap is, how much money he has saved, etc.

He’s got back problems and now brain trauma.  If he can afford to do so, I’d say walk.

I'd like to know what planet he lives on where he can't afford to retire comfortably this very second. This dude is set for life and I highly doubt this is about money. What's the difference between $50 and $70m when it comes to your "lifestyle"?
ok fine

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

He’s got back problems and now brain trauma.  If he can afford to do so, I’d say walk.

I'd like to know what planet he lives on where he can't afford to retire comfortably this very second. This dude is set for life and I highly doubt this is about money. What's the difference between $50 and $70m when it comes to your "lifestyle"?

In addition, this guy might have one of the biggest personalities in the NFL. If Travis Kelce can make money from a tv show, I see no reason why Gronk can't make it in Hollywood. I would most likely watch any movie that Gronk stars in, regardless of how bad it is.

I'm more worried about Belichick's future earnings than Gronk's.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:02:03 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 02:43:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

20 million dollars is a lot of money.  I mean even in an interest bearing account at 1%, you are gaining 200,000 a year.  That extra money gives you a lot more flexibility to take investment chances, to buy an extra home, to travel more, etc. 

There is one thing I've learned from very rich people and it is they all love money and want more of it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

20 million dollars is a lot of money.  I mean even in an interest bearing account at 1%, you are gaining 200,000 a year.  That extra money gives you a lot more flexibility to take investment chances, to buy an extra home, to travel more, etc. 

There is one thing I've learned from very rich people and it is they all love money and want more of it.

I swear some of you are bean counters for a living. People with money love money but they don't usually work hard to earn money once they have money. Money makes money.

The lifestyle difference between $50m and $70m is 0!!! nothing changes he still parties like Gronk and does everything in life he will ever want and never go without.

ok fine

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I swear some of you are bean counters for a living. People with money love money but they don't usually work hard to earn money once they have money. Money makes money.

The lifestyle difference between $50m and $70m is 0!!! nothing changes he still parties like Gronk and does everything in life he will ever want and never go without.
His lifestyle absolutely can change with 40% more money. 

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

His lifestyle absolutely can change with 40% more money.

It honestly probably doesn't as much as you would think.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The planet we live on. Many athletes don’t manage their money well and live year to year, ending up broke. Fortunately, it sounds like Gronk has saved well.

People with money love money but they don't usually work hard to earn money once they have money.

You don’t know a lot of people with money, do you?  This is completely false.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The planet we live on. Many athletes don’t manage their money well and live year to year, ending up broke. Fortunately, it sounds like Gronk has saved well.

People with money love money but they don't usually work hard to earn money once they have money.

I can only speak for myself, but my financial situation has changed pretty wildly several times in my life and I pretty much act the same and work the same whether I am in the top 1% or lower middle class.

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah I don't get these sentiments.  And I really don't get how 40% more money is being laughed at.  Sure if Gronk was a billionaire another 20 million probably not a big deal, but 20 million when you have 50 million (and I doubt Gronk has 50 million) is way different.  40% more money is a lot of money. 

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 03:50:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
go to the Dolphins

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apparently the WWE contract is for a couple of million a year on a part-time schedule with limited on camera appearances a year and even more limited matches a year. Kinda like the contract Brock Lesnar and Rhonda Rousey signed.

He would probably be expected to do a lot of appearances for charity events and stuff like that. But the actual amount of bumps he would take per year would be very little.

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Apparently the WWE contract is for a couple of million a year on a part-time schedule with limited on camera appearances a year and even more limited matches a year. Kinda like the contract Brock Lesnar and Rhonda Rousey signed.

He would probably be expected to do a lot of appearances for charity events and stuff like that. But the actual amount of bumps he would take per year would be very little.
he could probably do that in the off season and still play.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

he could probably do that in the off season and still play.

I wonder if that would void his contract? Not the appearances, but the matches.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes