Author Topic: SI article on toxic Mavs workplace  (Read 6131 times)

Re: SI article on toxic Mavs workplace
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This guy sounds so much like the vast majority of abusers I’ve met. 4 years of counseling, and he still blames his victims, while playing lip service to accountability.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/fired-mavs-com-writer-team-put-back-work-immediately-domestic-violence-arrest-214654941.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently Mark Cuban was accused of sexual assault in 2011, but no charges were filed after a police investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-mark-cuban-investigated-alleged-sexual-assault-2011-charges-never-filed-054514266.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

• Don Chaney
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-mavericks-employee-rips-mark-cubans-response-sexual-harassment-claims-164753777.html
Getting hot in all the right places. Mr. Smug is going down.

Hard to say, as of now there is no actual evidence Cuban is guilty of, or aware of, anything [dang]ing.

This isn't like the Sterling situation where they literally had the man on tape saying racist things. My guess is it will take that sort of evidence against Cuban to take him down.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Maybe it's been mentioned in one of the several posted articles already, but one thing I find interesting with everything that's going on is Mark Cuban's comments back when the league was ousting Donald Sterling.

He was against ousting Sterling, said it was a slippery slope.  Maybe, just maybe, it was because Cuban had some skeletons of his own in the closet.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10854381/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-rails-donald-sterling-not-favor-kicking-owner

However, Cuban was the only one to express concern about the precedent that could be set by forcing Sterling to leave the league.

"I think there's a [league] constitution for a reason, right?" Cuban said before Game 4 of the Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs series. "Because this is a very slippery slope. What Donald said was wrong. It was abhorrent. There's no place for racism in the NBA, any business I'm associated with, and I don't want to be associated with people who have that position.

"But at the same time, that's a decision I make. I think you've got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It's a very, very slippery slope.

Cuban said he would support any decision the commissioner made in regard to disciplining Sterling, but Cuban thinks the league constitution will limit that to a fine and suspension.

Cuban was concerned about an arbitrary line being set for forcing people out of the league because of controversial beliefs that could be considered offensive.

"In this country, people are allowed to be morons," Cuban said. "They're allowed to be stupid. They're allowed to think idiotic thoughts.

"Within an organization like the NBA, we try to do what's in the best interest of the league, and that's why we have a commissioner and a constitution, and I think Adam will be smart and deal with Donald with the full extent available. But, again, if you're saying a blanket, 'Let's kick him out' -- I don't want to go that far because it's not about Donald, it's not about his position, it's about his mess -- and what are we going to make a decision on?

Cuban added that it was "[dang] scary" to ponder the thought of attempting to remove somebody from the NBA because of his personal beliefs.

"In no uncertain terms am I supporting what Donald Sterling said, or his position," Cuban said. "He's obviously racist, he's obviously bigoted. And in this day and age when you're in the public eye, you've got to be [dang] careful -- if that's your position, and that's unfortunately where you're at, you better be [dang] careful what you say, even in the privacy of your own home.

"But regardless of your background, regardless of the history they have, if we're taking something somebody said in their home and we're trying to turn it into something that leads to you being forced to divest property in any way, shape or form, that's not the United States of America. I don't want to be part of that."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Maybe it's been mentioned in one of the several posted articles already, but one thing I find interesting with everything that's going on is Mark Cuban's comments back when the league was ousting Donald Sterling.

He was against ousting Sterling, said it was a slippery slope.  Maybe, just maybe, it was because Cuban had some skeletons of his own in the closet.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10854381/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-rails-donald-sterling-not-favor-kicking-owner

However, Cuban was the only one to express concern about the precedent that could be set by forcing Sterling to leave the league.

"I think there's a [league] constitution for a reason, right?" Cuban said before Game 4 of the Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs series. "Because this is a very slippery slope. What Donald said was wrong. It was abhorrent. There's no place for racism in the NBA, any business I'm associated with, and I don't want to be associated with people who have that position.

"But at the same time, that's a decision I make. I think you've got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It's a very, very slippery slope.

Cuban said he would support any decision the commissioner made in regard to disciplining Sterling, but Cuban thinks the league constitution will limit that to a fine and suspension.

Cuban was concerned about an arbitrary line being set for forcing people out of the league because of controversial beliefs that could be considered offensive.

"In this country, people are allowed to be morons," Cuban said. "They're allowed to be stupid. They're allowed to think idiotic thoughts.

"Within an organization like the NBA, we try to do what's in the best interest of the league, and that's why we have a commissioner and a constitution, and I think Adam will be smart and deal with Donald with the full extent available. But, again, if you're saying a blanket, 'Let's kick him out' -- I don't want to go that far because it's not about Donald, it's not about his position, it's about his mess -- and what are we going to make a decision on?

Cuban added that it was "[dang] scary" to ponder the thought of attempting to remove somebody from the NBA because of his personal beliefs.

"In no uncertain terms am I supporting what Donald Sterling said, or his position," Cuban said. "He's obviously racist, he's obviously bigoted. And in this day and age when you're in the public eye, you've got to be [dang] careful -- if that's your position, and that's unfortunately where you're at, you better be [dang] careful what you say, even in the privacy of your own home.

"But regardless of your background, regardless of the history they have, if we're taking something somebody said in their home and we're trying to turn it into something that leads to you being forced to divest property in any way, shape or form, that's not the United States of America. I don't want to be part of that."

What he says there actually does make a lot of sense though. Also, if the story out of Portland is an accurate one, you would have to imagine he has done this multiple times and other stories will come out and he will be gone. It's never seemed like the case where someone just does that behavior one time randomly and never does anything else bad.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »

• Don Chaney

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »

• Don Chaney
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/mavericks/2018/03/29/mark-cuban-mavericks-racial-discrimination-petition/471919002/
Looks like Mavs have another problem going on too. Cuban can't run a NBA team but he sure thinks he could make a great president.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/mavericks/2018/03/29/mark-cuban-mavericks-racial-discrimination-petition/471919002/
Looks like Mavs have another problem going on too. Cuban can't run a NBA team but he sure thinks he could make a great president.

Don't know what to make of this one.  Seems a lot lighter on the details than the other articles/accusations.

An employee found a noose in a closet?  Was it on display, was it meant to be seen, was it lying on a shelf, was it actually a "noose" or just a rope or maybe a lasso (this is cow town afterall)?  It could have had racist intent or it could have been like the lady who saw a swastika in wrapping paper, seeing something that's not really there.

Sounds like the lady whose trying to bring the suit didn't actually even see the noose, because it was in a closet and Mark Cuban threw it in the trash, which to me sounds like a good thing to do, at least without any more context.

Newsome was hired in 2004 as a premium sales executive. She went on to become a suite sales executive and said she generated $50 million in sales during her 13 years with the company.

Newsome said she complained throughout her time with the management company about racial discrimination, pay inequity, harassment, and bullying and taunting from her co-workers. She was fired in March 2017 in what she said was retaliation for a 2015 complaint she made to human resources.

There's so much that could be going on here.  Another article states she was fired for not meeting sales quota, which is pretty standard in the sales world, especially in leaner years like the Mavs are probably experiencing now.  So she could be the type of person that blames her failures on anybody but themselves, or she could have some legit gripes.  Need more details/context.

So not sure if this is the tip of the iceberg of some serious problems, or just a bitter ex-employee.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »

• Don Chaney

Don't know what to make of this one.  Seems a lot lighter on the details than the other articles/accusations.

An employee found a noose in a closet?  Was it on display, was it meant to be seen, was it lying on a shelf, was it actually a "noose" or just a rope or maybe a lasso (this is cow town afterall)?  It could have had racist intent or it could have been like the lady who saw a swastika in wrapping paper, seeing something that's not really there.

Sounds like the lady whose trying to bring the suit didn't actually even see the noose, because it was in a closet and Mark Cuban threw it in the trash, which to me sounds like a good thing to do, at least without any more context.

Newsome was hired in 2004 as a premium sales executive. She went on to become a suite sales executive and said she generated $50 million in sales during her 13 years with the company.

Newsome said she complained throughout her time with the management company about racial discrimination, pay inequity, harassment, and bullying and taunting from her co-workers. She was fired in March 2017 in what she said was retaliation for a 2015 complaint she made to human resources.

There's so much that could be going on here.  Another article states she was fired for not meeting sales quota, which is pretty standard in the sales world, especially in leaner years like the Mavs are probably experiencing now.  So she could be the type of person that blames her failures on anybody but themselves, or she could have some legit gripes.  Need more details/context.

So not sure if this is the tip of the iceberg of some serious problems, or just a bitter ex-employee.
It may be nothing, But Cuban sure is seeing what it would be like as President. You will get it for sure.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
So after 7 months, here's the penalty for the Mavs, per Woj:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042479747744321538
Sources: After NBA investigation into workplace misconduct, Dallas owner Mark Cuban and the NBA have agreed that he'll donate $10M to organizations that promote women in leadership roles and combat domestic violence. NBA can only fine $2.5M by rules.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042480374616653824
There are also NBA-mandated sanctions on Dallas that will require that the franchise make changes on reporting, staffing and policy to improve the workplace culture, league sources said. Donald Sterling had received that $2.5M fine as Clippers owner.

And Woj on some of the details:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042481192145170439
According to the NBA's report, Mavericks were found to have "Serious workplace misconduct by former and current employees," and "improper or ineffective management."

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042481605745553408
The NBA's report says that claims were substantiated by 15 current and former employees regarding inappropriate comments and touching by former Dallas Mavericks President and CEO Terdema Ussery.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
And some tidbits from the NBA Press Release:

http://pr.nba.com/nba-statement-about-independent-investigation-regarding-workplace-mavericks/

The investigators found no evidence that Mr. Cuban was aware of Mr. Ussery’s misconduct. None of the 215 witnesses who were interviewed stated that they informed Mr. Cuban of Mr. Ussery’s actions, the investigators found no documentary evidence of such a communication, and Mr. Cuban stated that he did not know about the conduct.

In recognition of the institutional and other failures set forth in the report, Mr. Cuban has agreed to contribute $10 million to organizations that are committed to supporting the leadership and development of women in the sports industry and combating domestic violence.  These organizations will be selected by an advisory council of leaders from the Mavericks, including Mr. Cuban and Ms. Marshall, and the NBA, including President of Social Responsibility & Player Programs Kathy Behrens, President of Team Marketing & Business Operations and Chief Innovation Officer Amy Brooks, and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer Oris Stuart.

Additionally, the NBA is requiring the Mavericks to:

*Provide the league office with quarterly reports regarding the recommendations set forth in the report and their implementation;

*Immediately report to the league office any instances or allegations of significant misconduct by any employee;

*Continually enhance and update annual “Respect in the Workplace” training for all staff, including ownership; and

*Implement a program to train all staff, including ownership, on issues related to domestic violence, sexual assault, and sexual harassment.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

• Don Chaney
I  never had any respect for Cuban. Could not happen to a bigger hypocritical prick. I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So after 7 months, here's the penalty for the Mavs, per Woj:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042479747744321538
Sources: After NBA investigation into workplace misconduct, Dallas owner Mark Cuban and the NBA have agreed that he'll donate $10M to organizations that promote women in leadership roles and combat domestic violence. NBA can only fine $2.5M by rules.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042480374616653824
There are also NBA-mandated sanctions on Dallas that will require that the franchise make changes on reporting, staffing and policy to improve the workplace culture, league sources said. Donald Sterling had received that $2.5M fine as Clippers owner.

And Woj on some of the details:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042481192145170439
According to the NBA's report, Mavericks were found to have "Serious workplace misconduct by former and current employees," and "improper or ineffective management."

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1042481605745553408
The NBA's report says that claims were substantiated by 15 current and former employees regarding inappropriate comments and touching by former Dallas Mavericks President and CEO Terdema Ussery.
Current employees. I hope they will be terminated.