I have tried the instructions to the letter. I used 75 x 75 and 65 x 65. I still don't see my avatar.
I followed the instructions in the very first post and my avatar appeared but disappeared soon. I then followed the second set of instructions and it seems to have worked. Try following these instructions if you have not yet:
1. Go on Google type a phrase that will give you the avatar you are after then click google search.
2. Click on Images.
3. Select the Image you are after then click 'View Image'.
4. Right click directly on the image an click on 'Save Image' then name the pic and remember where you are saving it.
5. Go to http://resizepic.com
6. Click on 'Choose File' and find and select the pic you saved earlier and select it.
7. Click on 'Width' and select no larger than 75 and do the same for your 'Height' then click 'Resize Image'.
8. Your Avatar should be above your Image Resizer with the new pixel dimensions, right click on the Avatar and select 'Save'.
9. Go to imgur.com it's safe and reliable. It's Reddit's image hosting site.
10. Make a free account and upload your image
11. Open the image in a new tab and the url at the top of the screen should read something like this... https://i.imgur.com/MN0GMTy.jpg
12. Now here is the trick.... When uploading the image to your forum profile you need to type the URL as "http" not "https" my final address looked like.... http://i.imgur.com/MN0GMTy.jpg