Author Topic: Trade for Kawhi?  (Read 17424 times)

Re: Trade for Kawhi?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'd happily move Brown and the pick stash to pick up Kawhi, but it's not happening.

I also don't believe Kawhi wants out.  That assertion comes from Jalen Rose (lol).  First of all, he's no source.  Second, his reasoning makes little sense.  The Spurs are struggling to attract elite talent?  Lamarcus Aldridge exists as a counterpoint to that statement.  Since then, their lack of available cap space - not this stupid "stars don't want to come to San Antonio because they'd have to work" idea put forth by Rose - is what has kept them from adding any more major pieces.  But despite their apparent lack of elite talent, the Spurs have remained very relevant in the West even without Kawhi. 

Get out of here with that.  This crap is why fans are giving up on ESPN's analysis.  Is there friction over this injury?  Sure, I'd believe that; that makes sense to me.  But Jalen Rose's opinion is useless and should be treated as such.

I bet you wrote this same thing last year when rumor got out that Kyrie wanted out after winning a title. We just never know what is going on. The Spurs are fairly old and could start a rebuild.
Sure, but the rebuild would start with Leonard who isn't exactly old and is a top 5 player in the league (when healthy).

I'm not saying it's going to happen but we just saw stranger things happen with the Cavs and they traded Kyrie to a conference foe. Aldridge wanted out last year and Pop spoke to him.

Kawhi may be wondering why he is still sitting out games. The Spurs may be trying to save him. It will all come out and but I would be shocked if the Spurs traded him. Ainge has to inquire though.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'd happily move Brown and the pick stash to pick up Kawhi, but it's not happening.

I also don't believe Kawhi wants out.  That assertion comes from Jalen Rose (lol).  First of all, he's no source.  Second, his reasoning makes little sense.  The Spurs are struggling to attract elite talent?  Lamarcus Aldridge exists as a counterpoint to that statement.  Since then, their lack of available cap space - not this stupid "stars don't want to come to San Antonio because they'd have to work" idea put forth by Rose - is what has kept them from adding any more major pieces.  But despite their apparent lack of elite talent, the Spurs have remained very relevant in the West even without Kawhi. 

Get out of here with that.  This crap is why fans are giving up on ESPN's analysis.  Is there friction over this injury?  Sure, I'd believe that; that makes sense to me.  But Jalen Rose's opinion is useless and should be treated as such.

I bet you wrote this same thing last year when rumor got out that Kyrie wanted out after winning a title. We just never know what is going on. The Spurs are fairly old and could start a rebuild.
Sure, but the rebuild would start with Leonard who isn't exactly old and is a top 5 player in the league (when healthy).

I'm not saying it's going to happen but we just saw stranger things happen with the Cavs and they traded Kyrie to a conference foe. Aldridge wanted out last year and Pop spoke to him.

Kawhi may be wondering why he is still sitting out games. The Spurs may be trying to save him. It will all come out and but I would be shocked if the Spurs traded him. Ainge has to inquire though.
I think Kawhi being traded out of San Antonio right now would be stranger than Kyrie being traded to the C's was. There's been one report of friction that read to me like it had a lot to do with how Kawhi is dealing with being away from the team because of injury. I haven't seen any actual reporting that said he wants out.

There is also a huge difference between the San Antonio Spurs and the Cleveland Cavaliers. Kawhi asking out of that situation would be very strange to me. Kyrie wanting out of Cleveland, while a surprise, was not all that strange to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Ringer posted an article with trade ideas teams could make for Kawhi.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/23/16924576/kawhi-leonard-trades-shootaround

For Boston, they (Bill Simmons, who did the Boston idea), prosposed Brown, Baynes, Lakers Pick + 2019 Grizzlies OR Clippers first for Kawhi.

It's not bad. But I'd try to swap Baynes with someone else (we need Baynes the bruiser in the playoffs IMHO).

Now I don't think this report is true anyways (it's #fakenews), BUT I also thought the Kyrie trade demand last year was fake news and NEVER IN MY WILDEST DREAMS imagined the Celtics would trade for Kyrie Irving.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Spurs receive: Jaylen Brown, Aron Baynes, a first-round pick (via the Lakers), another first-round pick (via the Grizzlies)
Celtics receive: Kawhi Leonard

Bill Simmons: Who says no?
The ESPN trade machine says no.

We would have to dump some contracts in order for the trade to go through.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Spurs receive: Jaylen Brown, Aron Baynes, a first-round pick (via the Lakers), another first-round pick (via the Grizzlies)

What works is Brown, Morris, Yabusele and either Rozier/Larkins in terms of salary.

But then we'd lack depth and have no real back up guard behind Kyrie and Smart (besides one of Larkin/Rozier). 

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

What works is Brown, Morris, Yabusele and either Rozier/Larkins in terms of salary.

But then we'd lack depth and have no real back up guard behind Kyrie and Smart (besides one of Larkin/Rozier).

Figure it out later. A player like Kawhi Leonard, if he's available and has a chance to be 100% again, is worth trading all the farm for. Sign minimum guys for now and figure out the rest of the team in the next offseason. If we are rolling with Kyrie, Hayward, Kawhi, Tatum and Horford next year, we don't need a lot as far as addition to the team is concerned.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Figure it out later. A player like Kawhi Leonard, if he's available and has a chance to be 100% again, is worth trading all the farm for. Sign minimum guys for now and figure out the rest of the team in the next offseason. If we are rolling with Kyrie, Hayward, Kawhi, Tatum and Horford next year, we don't need a lot as far as addition to the team is concerned.

I'll play along with this Kawhi trade saga and say, even if they did all that and re-signed Smart, that looks like a BIG luxury tax for Wyc and co. to pay. Idk if they'd do it.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
For Kwahi I'd be willing to include BOTH Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

MVP candidates don't grow on trees .

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I don't think throwing in Yabusele, Nader and Larkin/Ojeyele is exactly going to hold us up. Or you make the deal after the draft, where our picked player is making around $6M.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Too funny. I think Brown is the perfect guy for them to build around. 

I believe something is there with Kawhi. He either wants to go home to LA or he wants more talent around him. Think about when Parker and Manu leave that team is going to look a lot different. Success in the past doesn't mean success in the future.

I'm not saying he's going to be a Celtic, but do the Lakers or anyone else have what the Celtics have unless you're talking about Cousins or AD. I've seen too much and when talk like this starts it usually doesn't stop until a move is made. Also think outside the West because the Spurs are not doing any deals in the West. I just think the Spurs run is over and Kawhi knows it.

A Big 3 of Irving, Hayward and Leonard is too good not to inquire. GMs talk but players talk too.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Give up ALL STAR Al Horford!!

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd love to add Kawhi - if he's healthy. The quad injury is a concern, though. The fact that's its been an issue so long makes me nervous. With muscle injuries, there's an increased risk of heterotopic ossification (abnormal bone growth) that isn't treatable, so a deep dive into his medical records would be needed.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman