Author Topic: DeWayne Dedmon available.  (Read 5843 times)

DeWayne Dedmon available.
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://hoopshype.com/2018/01/16/dewayne-dedmon-nba-trade-rumors-bucks-cavs-hawks/

The Atlanta Hawks will reportedly make starting center Dewayne Dedmon available for acquisition before the upcoming NBA trade deadline.

Mark Deeks provided details on what he learned about the 7-footer who played college basketball for the USC Trojans (via GiveMeSport):

“The Atlanta Hawks are trying to trade Dewayne Dedmon. While it appears to not have been reported prior, it nonetheless will (or should) come as no surprise to Hawks fans to know that.”

This dude is athletic.

He can rebound.

He can run.

He can defend.

And he can shoot three's.

Should we?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: DeWayne Dedmon available.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Signed through next year, so can't be had for the Hayward exception...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
We're okay at center.  Horford, Baynes, a little bit of Theis.  That's solid.  I like Dedmon well enough but I don't think he makes sense for us at this time.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:52:25 PM by miraclejohan »
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
So why did Atlanta sign him in the first place? How often does a player, as more than just a throw-in or for cap purposes, get traded in the same season that he signed a contract?
It doesn't make sense. What exactly did they expect out of him? I take it he was a big part of Atlanta winning a few games recently. It's why he gots to go!

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Would have to move players to get him, no DPE. I guess it depends what else is out there.

1) Yabu + Larkin for Dedmon
2) draft pick for Lou Williams

Not sure we want rentals, but those would be some pretty strong role player additions for scraps.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Signed through next year, so can't be had for the Hayward exception...

Next year is a player option, so can be if he chooses to waive it as part of the trade.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Would have to move players to get him, no DPE. I guess it depends what else is out there.

Not sure we want rentals, but those would be some pretty strong role player additions for scraps.

Unless the Clips are blowing it up, we're not getting Williams for picks. Dude is tearing it up. And they've been on  a streak. So unless they lose 90% of their games from now till all star break, doubt it would happen.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Unless the Clips are blowing it up, we're not getting Williams for picks. Dude is tearing it up. And they've been on  a streak. So unless they lose 90% of their games from now till all star break, doubt it would happen.

Probably true, but only because the Clippers are incompetent. They're a 1st round exit at best and he's an expiring deal at the absolute peak of his value.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Probably true, but only because the Clippers are incompetent. They're a 1st round exit at best and he's an expiring deal at the absolute peak of his value.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Clippers made it to the second round.  Ultimately I think they’ll be a 5 or 6 seed, and Minnesota is very beatable if they draw that matchup (Wolves are good, but they’re still very inconsistent from game to game, and it will be the first playoffs for many on that team).

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Clippers made it to the second round.  Ultimately I think they’ll be a 5 or 6 seed, and Minnesota is very beatable if they draw that matchup (Wolves are good, but they’re still very inconsistent from game to game, and it will be the first playoffs for many on that team).

Yes I was going to say I could see them beating anyone besides a healthy Warriors or Rockets team. They have been very very good when their whole team is healthy.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look.
What team in the East do you see presenting the same problem as NOP?

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst

Good question.  Short answer is "None" but longer answer is: I'd be worried about any center going off inside against us AND out-rebounding our entire team: Drummond, Embiid, Myles Turner, even Giannis and Whiteside could out perform our center for an entire series.  Washington, Milwaukee, Toronto, and Indiana's outside/driving game could swing games too if we can't stop them in the paint.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Good question.  Short answer is "None" but longer answer is: I'd be worried about any center going off inside against us AND out-rebounding our entire team: Drummond, Embiid, Myles Turner, even Giannis and Whiteside could out perform our center for an entire series.  Washington, Milwaukee, Toronto, and Indiana's outside/driving game could swing games too if we can't stop them in the paint.
So adding a 3rd center to the roster will solve those issues? I understand the underlying premise of your concern. But I think the Cs have held out pretty well so far this season against bigs with the Horford/Baynes/Theis rotation. I agree that maybe they could you an end of bench guy for depth in case anyone gets hurt but I dont think adding another big to a team that doesnt really utulize them will really do anything.

I do like Dedmon though and hoped they would somehow be able to grab him last offseason (before Baynes happened). I think he would be a good fit on this team (style wise).