Author Topic: Edy Tavares  (Read 3074 times)

Edy Tavares
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
So the Cavs just waived Edy Tavares and I wanted to get other people's thoughts about signing him for our 15th roster spot. As a 7-3 Center I think he can add some value. I can understand leaving our last spot open for a mid-season acquisition, but grooming a shot blocker could be valuable. More importantly, him being Cabo Verdean is a big plus for me!  ;D

Here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INC1CV86iaE&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjkIOVGEA3Q

Re: Edy Tavares
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Edy has a hard time moving. His special talent is he's probably longest person on planet.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
Edy has a hard time moving. His special talent is he's probably longest person on planet.

True. He definitely does have limitations (he is slow-footed but with okay burst, seems to be a slow outlet passer, and his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired) but the last spot on the bench is going to have some deficiencies. On a positive note, he has played with Al and Kyrie before.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think mobile bigs fit our style of play better.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
yeah i liked his stats nba, although only 100 minutes in total, Ortg 103, Drtg 99. 5.9 blks and 5.4 fouls per 100 poss, and stint in the d league showed he can hit fts, ~70%, where he was d-league defensive player of the year. His is a ok  rebounder not great.

He only started to play bball when 17 and is now 25, plus bigs tend to develop late, still has me believing he has further upside. Would not mind taking a chance on him

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/tavarwa01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/players/t/tavarwa01d.html

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I honestly feel if he was used in a certain way he could excel. If he is used in a half court single possession play on offense or defense he could be good. But with every transaction he is just too slow. You lose about 7 seconds of the clock just getting him set up. BS pace and space wouldnt work.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
I honestly feel if he was used in a certain way he could excel. If he is used in a half court single possession play on offense or defense he could be good. But with every transaction he is just too slow. You lose about 7 seconds of the clock just getting him set up. BS pace and space wouldnt work.

Yea I agree with you and chilidawg that Edy isn't that mobile and that might conflict with BS's schemes. I also think that he could be used sporadically or during garbage time and practice. I don't think he would get much burn in our regular rotations.

It's interesting to note that in 2009 when he was first being recruited to play basketball this is what was said about his running ability: "He didn't know how to run when he came to Gran Canaria," said Jesús Morales, the team's social media director. "He had never practiced any sports." You can read more about him here: http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/edy-tavares-feature/

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:02:41 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He's too tall!! Sometimes height can affect ur skills as a player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's just not skilled enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This guy could barely get off the bench on the Raptors, and a slowly but surely Atlanta Hawks team, definitely on the brink of re-building, so what does that tell you about him?

He may be tall, but so was Fab Melo...

RIP.

But man, I can't begin to tell you guys, what I thought about a possible future front court of Sullinger and Melo... (Yes, I know it was a dumb dream at the time, but Melo was DPOY in Syracuse, and Sullinger was putting the Buckeyes on his back.)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard

I don't know if he's too tall. From his background, I really just think he needs time working on training his body to run the floor. Coming to basketball late and never really playing sports until Liga ACB (where they play slow and don't have defensive three seconds) definitely shows in his game. But bigs do take awhile to develop late. He does have positives though (length, blocking, FT %, passing). But I can understand if not everyone likes him for the last spot.

I'm wondering what other people would prefer since I would give Edy a chance.   

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I don't know if he's too tall. From his background, I really just think he needs time working on training his body to run the floor. Coming to basketball late and never really playing sports until Liga ACB (where they play slow and don't have defensive three seconds) definitely shows in his game. But bigs do take awhile to develop late. He does have positives though (length, blocking, FT %, passing). But I can understand if not everyone likes him for the last spot.

Daniel Ochefu was just waived by the Wizards :laugh:.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard

Daniel Ochefu was just waived by the Wizards :laugh:.

Lol tp for the Celtics picking up Ochefu. We will see if he sticks on the 15 man roster or is waived for Maine.