C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59007 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given matching salary and Brooklyn's record the trade is looking like Clarkson, Hood, Zizic a 2nd rounder and the 8th pick in the draft for Kyrie. That looks like a great trade for Boston.

« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Given matching salary and Brooklyn's record the trade is looking like Clarkson, Hood, Zizic a 2nd rounder and the 8th pick in the draft for Kyrie. That looks like a great trade for Boston.

From Cleveland's end they gave up Kyrie, their 1st (probably in early 20s) and Frye/Rose (who cares) also.

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

From Cleveland's end they gave up Kyrie, their 1st (probably in early 20s) and Frye/Rose (who cares) also.
Their 1st...yeah. I figure Channing trade for Nance being a sepate trade. Rose as just a released player. But youcan definitely look at it from you point of view.

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Idk, now it's looking like its back in CLE's favor if Hood, Clarkson etc all work out real well. Ugh.

« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Idk, now it's looking like its back in CLE's favor if Hood, Clarkson etc all work out real well. Ugh.

I don't know that it's fair to grade the Kyrie trade with what Cleveland was able to convince another team to do with those assets in another trade. The fact that IT and Crowder didn't even last the season and Zizic isn't part of the rotation, to me, is all in the Celtics' favor.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So Cleveland essentially traded away

Irving, Frye, Rose, Shumpert, Agravanis, 2018 CLE 1st (top 3 prot), 2024 2nd (swap rights with Utah), 2.1 million cash

for essentially

Clarkson, Nance, Hill, Hood, Gudatis, Zizic, 2018 BKN 1st

I'd say that it is a better package for Cleveland then the original one, but if Boston re-signs Irving and the BKN pick doesn't turn into a superstar it was a clear win by Boston.  However, a superstar from the BKN pick or Irving leaving in free agency and the trade is definitely altered a bit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Irving, Frye, Rose, Shumpert, Agravanis, 2018 CLE 1st (top 3 prot), 2024 2nd (swap rights with Utah), 2.1 million cash

for essentially

I'd say that it is a better package for Cleveland then the original one, but if Boston re-signs Irving and the BKN pick doesn't turn into a superstar it was a clear win by Boston.  However, a superstar from the BKN pick or Irving leaving in free agency and the trade is definitely altered a bit.
If we prune out the dead weight, this boils down to Irving  for Hill, Hood, Clarkson, Nance and the BKN 1st. We still need to see how the chips are going to fall this offseason, but it doesn't seem like a great return squarely on talent. Remember that the Cavs were hoping for the likes of Eric Gordon, Kemba Walker, and DeAndre Jordan.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:42:11 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

for essentially

If we prune out the dead weight, this boils down to Irving  for Hill, Hood, Clarkson, Nance and the BKN 1st. We still need to see how the chips are going to fall this offseason, but it doesn't seem like a great return squarely on talent. Remember that the Cavs were hoping for the likes of Eric Gordon, Kemba Walker, and DeAndre Jordan.
Hood still has a chance to be as good as those guys.  Probably doesn't get there, but he has made pretty decent production jumps every single season he has been in the league.  Hill is older, but is a much better fit next to James than any of those players.  Great shooter, plus defender, plays well off the ball, etc.  Clarkson and Nance are both solid role players.

Not a super great return for Irving, but I just think the new package is a much better fit overall for the Cavs.  They got some much needed youth on their bench which comprises on the whole better shooting and defense then what they had. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

for essentially

Hood still has a chance to be as good as those guys.  Probably doesn't get there, but he has made pretty decent production jumps every single season he has been in the league.  Hill is older, but is a much better fit next to James than any of those players.  Great shooter, plus defender, plays well off the ball, etc.  Clarkson and Nance are both solid role players.

Not a super great return for Irving, but I just think the new package is a much better fit overall for the Cavs.  They got some much needed youth on their bench which comprises on the whole better shooting and defense then what they had.

We overpaid for the Irving deal in August IMO, and even now it looks that way.

They aren't all-stars, but Hood, Clarkson, etc are very solid players and the Nets Pick will likely be somewhere in the 6-8 range.  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

for essentially

They aren't all-stars, but Hood, Clarkson, etc are very solid players and the Nets Pick will likely be somewhere in the 6-8 range.  :(

How? Kyrie is better than anyone CLE got back for Crowder and IT. In the NBA, 4 quarters does not equal a dollar.

« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

for essentially

How? Kyrie is better than anyone CLE got back for Crowder and IT. In the NBA, 4 quarters does not equal a dollar.

Well Zizic is a promising prospect, BKN Pick is likely becoming Top 10, and at the time Crowder looked solid and Isaiah was coming off an MVP-caliber season.

Now yeah, we didn't find out about Isaiah's injury extent until much later, but it still looked like an overpay at the time.

The deal certainly looks better now, but it depends on three major things.

1.) Does BKN Pick land Top 5? Top 3???  :o

2.) Do Cavaliers win Finals this year with Hood, Clarkson, Hill, Nance as key parts?

3.) Does Kyrie bolt in 2 years when he hits FA, or will he sign a long term extension here?

« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

for essentially

And two of those quarters are on long-term inflated contracts (and Hood is about to be). I applaud Utah for turning an expiring Hood into a bargain priced Crowder - I bet Memphis wishes they could have done that with Evans. And how Sacramento ever convinced Cleveland to take back $37M in salary for the aging Hill for $11M in salary for Shumpert is beyond me.

At this point, we root for Kyrie to continue his rise into superstardom (and hope the BKN pick is a dud...just out of spite!).

« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2018, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

for essentially

Well Zizic is a promising prospect, BKN Pick is likely becoming Top 10, and at the time Crowder looked solid and Isaiah was coming off an MVP-caliber season.

Now yeah, we didn't find out about Isaiah's injury extent until much later, but it still looked like an overpay at the time.

2.) Do Cavaliers win Finals this year with Hood, Clarkson, Hill, Nance as key parts?

3.) Does Kyrie bolt in 2 years when he hits FA, or will he sign a long term extension here?
1) That doesn't really matter too much to be honest. The deal improved our long term and short term prospects. That's all that matters.

2) There is almost literally no chance, barring a disaster occurs and Golden State/Houston and Toronto suffer insane injuries. I still don't see Cleveland making it out of the East.

3) I am incredibly doubtful this happens, but if it does then Kyrie's legacy will be tarnished forever, and I doubt he wants that. I don't believe that that's what will dictate his movements, but it's a factor imo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

for essentially

With regards to point 2, I would like to see the Cavs play a string of games with their new squad before passing judgment. 1 game isn’t a big enough sample size. If you think about it we won 16 in a row with our rejigged lineup at the start of the season and 4 months later some people are slitting wrists about it. IMO the Cavs still have their work cut out for them.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2018, 01:23:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

for essentially

With regards to point 2, I would like to see the Cavs play a string of games with their new squad before passing judgment. 1 game isn’t a big enough sample size. If you think about it we won 16 in a row with our rejigged lineup at the start of the season and 4 months later some people are slitting wrists about it. IMO the Cavs still have their work cut out for them.

Yeah. And frankly I think Toronto poses a legitimate threat too for them if not Boston.

DeRozan looks better and that bench is dynamic and one of the better units in the league.

But in regards to the Cavs moves, it's funny because if they lost yesterday everyone would have said "oh it's fine they just need time to gel". They won yesterday and they have apparently tightened/closed the gap against the Warriors...  ::)