Author Topic: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)  (Read 23307 times)

Re: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Been saying he reminds of me rookie Durant all season.

Tatum in 12 playoff games:  18.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 46%/31%/84% shooting   

Durant rookie:  20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting

In terms of their "style" ... they are not similar

Durant also is 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan

True.  Tatum is way better at fake-and-drive.  And he is only a rookie

« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Tatum in 12 playoff games:  18.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 46%/31%/84% shooting   

Durant rookie:  20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting

and up and unders. He also has a slight adv in ball handling

but Durant can shoot over pretty much anybody

« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Floor: Derrick Williams

Ceiling: Paul George (his role model)
Lol what? Derrick Williams was a hyper athletic 4 compared to Shawn Marion out of college, not even close to Tatum or wher his game  resembles. He busted bc he didnt have ball skills . Tatum is the complete opposite where he has ball skill but will not possses the athleticism to be a star at the NBA level. People say Pierce comp ut Pierce actually had great  atheicism,like elite phone booth athlete they could jump quick without running off two legs . Pierce was in young Melos tier of athlete but Tatum is below that he's a stiff at 19 years old..We just got Shane Battier with the number one pick and a protected pick down the road. Kids a bust or role player I gurantee it.I usually trust in Danny but he messed up tiers this oickmhard, his ass is on  line here and he will be fired for it within 2 years. You don't take the number one pick and turn it into Jayson  Tatum lol.

Great call.

« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Floor: Derrick Williams

Ceiling: Paul George (his role model)

His role model is Bryant...he even said it himself

« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 102
Floor: Carmelo Anthony.  Ceiling: Dr. J

« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 569

Durant is a superior ball handler. Dude is a guard in a centers body. I love Tatum, but Durant isnt a good comparison because physically he's just such a freak. Paul George is probably the closest comparison physically, but Tatum is better as a rookie than George was even his second year.

Really tho i don't care about player comparisons, Tatum just needs to become the best version of Jayson Tatum.

« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Scottie Pippen
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2018, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Durant is a superior ball handler. Dude is a guard in a centers body. I love Tatum, but Durant isnt a good comparison because physically he's just such a freak. Paul George is probably the closest comparison physically, but Tatum is better as a rookie than George was even his second year.

Really tho i don't care about player comparisons, Tatum just needs to become the best version of Jayson Tatum.

I got it. Ceiling =  shorter love-child of Kevin Durant and Kevin McHale.

Watching Tatum cross over guards and take wings to the basket, I’m not conceding that Durant is a better ballhandler. And that up and under move Tatum has? That awesome footwork? MaHale.

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

have you seen tatums handle? He is no slouch in that area. He consistently breaks opposing defenders ankles

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Floor" Jayson Tatum as a rookie.  No way he is regressing from this season.  So worst he does is this and if he plays like this for an entire career that is a solid NBA career
Ceiling: originally I was thinking Julius Erving due to Tatum's young age.  However Dr J was amazing at so many aspects of game that I don't see it happening.  How about James Worthy with better range?

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I got it. Ceiling =  shorter love-child of Kevin Durant and Kevin McHale.

Watching Tatum cross over guards and take wings to the basket, I’m not conceding that Durant is a better ballhandler. And that up and under move Tatum has? That awesome footwork? MaHale.
tp

You hit it 100% on the mark. Tatum is a much better ball handler than durant. I've never seen durant do some  of tatums moves.  Tatum also has a very similar game and physical profile to durant

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Floor: rookie season Jayson Tatum.  He keeps these numbers that is a solid NBA player
Ceiling: originally I was thinking Julius Erving due to Tatums young age but Dr J was so amazing in so many aspects of the game.
How about James Worthy but with better range?

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Durant's amazing, but we're talking ceiling here after all.

I don't see any clear evidence that Durant was a better ball handler at 19 years old, or that he has a very large height/length advantage. Tatum measured at 6'8"+ when he was still 17 and there's a reasonable suspicion that he's pushing 6'10" right now and using that length effectively. His rookie numbers stack up pretty well vs Durant, albeit in much different environments.

Someone pointed out that Tatum's playoff numbers are pretty close to rookie Durant in the regular season. That's telling, since it largely evens out the MPG and usage rates.

The catch of course is that Durant made a big jump to superstar his 2nd year and has never looked back. We'll see with Tatum.

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Floor: Otto Porter Jr.
Ceiling: Kevin Durant

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Floor: Otto Porter Jr.
Ceiling: Kevin Durant

He’s already exceeded that floor hasn’t he?