Author Topic: John Wall the Real Deal  (Read 2842 times)

John Wall the Real Deal
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
With all the understandable accolades being given to IT for another great performance, it's worth noting how special John Wall was last night, until he ran out of gas in the 4th.  He is an amazing point guard.  I now get what all the fuss is about this guy.  Did not realize how special he was.

Re: John Wall the Real Deal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Agree.  He scares me.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
With all the understandable accolades being given to IT for another great performance, it's worth noting how special John Wall was last night, until he ran out of gas in the 4th.  He is an amazing point guard.  I now get what all the fuss is about this guy.  Did not realize how special he was.
Agreed, he is a very good player.  Last night was the best Celtics game I have watched in a very long time.  Both teams were outstanding

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
Make him a jump shooter and not a penetrator/facilitator.

He may have a game like last night here and there where he sinks those jumpers, but more often than not we can live with him taking contested jumpers.

Even if Wall gets his, if we stop guys like Morris and Gortat from hurting us, we will be fine.

I think we smell blood and have Washington scratching their heads (Brooks especially). If we can finally get off to a good start and build a double digit lead early, I think we bury them.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Make him a jump shooter and not a penetrator/facilitator.

He may have a game like last night here and there where he sinks those jumpers, but more often than not we can live with him taking contested jumpers.

Even if Wall gets his, if we stop guys like Morris and Gortat from hurting us, we will be fine.

I think we smell blood and have Washington scratching their heads (Brooks especially). If we can finally get off to a good start and build a double digit lead early, I think we bury them.

Easier said then done.   

I think the key is limiting Beal and letting Jennings play like Knick's Jenning.   That means Wall has to do more and he runs out of gas in the 4th. 

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he is by far one of the fastest guards i've seen that can zip through everyone in a full court spring in like 2-3 seconds...super super fast

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Does he now get classified in the "super elite" PG group with CP3, Kyrie, Curry, Westbrook or is he still a mere mortal along with IT, Lillard, DeRozan?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:02:35 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
He is on par with Westbrooks athleticism. Same top speed, a bit less strong and tangably more flexible, nimbler.
WB is like a Lambo, Wall is a Ferrari. :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Totally agree.  I've told a few people at work already (who watched the game), Isaiah was impressive but John Wall has IMO been the best player in the series.  He's so much more enjoyable to watch (to me) than Westbrook b/c he's out to make he best basketball play.. not necessarily get off the best shot for himself.  Wall has made terrific passes, and seems to do it all w/o even breaking a sweat. 

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
John Wall is utterly amazing. As a two way player, he is head and shoulders above most of his peers. Because of the shooting, Curry is still obviously better, and Westbrook is probably better, but short of those two idk if any pgs are better in the league. Kyrie doesn't play d, and neither does lillsrd.

Literally the only way you can stop wall is by trying to force him into jumpers, which he has worked on a lot. When he gets into the lane, he is [dang] near unstoppable at running his team's offense.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2517
John Wall is utterly amazing. As a two way player, he is head and shoulders above most of his peers. Because of the shooting, Curry is still obviously better, and Westbrook is probably better, but short of those two idk if any pgs are better in the league. Kyrie doesn't play d, and neither does lillsrd.

Literally the only way you can stop wall is by trying to force him into jumpers, which he has worked on a lot. When he gets into the lane, he is [dang] near unstoppable at running his team's offense.

You forgot James "Gary Payton 2.0" Harden, defensive dynamo for the Houston Rockets.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3059
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Wall is, surprisingly, underrated.

With due respect to others, including Isaiah, Wall is an ELITE TWO-WAY Player.

He can do what he does (like drop 40 points w/16 assists), while playing exceptional defense.

Unfortunately, the way WAS is built, they NEED Wall AND Beal to have tremendous games to win, because honestly their bench isn't that great/deep. Celtics have been exploiting it well at times.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495

You forgot James "Gary Payton 2.0" Harden, defensive dynamo for the Houston Rockets.

I still think of Harden as a SG, so I never remember to put him in my PG wants, but he totally is one. TP on the save buddy  ;)
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 894
  • GOT IT!!!
To drop 40+ against the defenders the C's are throwing at him says something. If his jump shot is falling not much you can do to contain him.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 748
Over these first two games, 30 ppg and 14.5 apg. Incredible talent.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008