Poll

What do you do?

Return to Duke
10 (50%)
Enter the Draft
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: What do you do if you are Giles (poll)?  (Read 2625 times)

What do you do if you are Giles (poll)?
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know there is a thread on him, but I felt this was a different topic and worthy of a poll so I created a separate thread.

Coming into the year he was a projected top 5 pick, then he got hurt again.  He is now projected as a mid to late 1st round pick (draftexpress has him at 25 for example).  He obviously has a ton of talent, but his health is a real concern.  So the question is do you come out now and cash in on the NBA money now or do you return to Duke to try to prove your health and thus increase your draft position and come out after your sophomore year?  If he was going to be Oden or Embiid and still be a top 5 pick, no question you come out, but that isn't him right now.  There is also the notion that he would be less likely to be injured in college than the pros given the easier schedule.  So what do you do?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What do you do if you are Giles (poll)?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I vote return to Duke.  If he has a good year without injury, we helps his draft position.  It's a big roll of the dice, though.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on how much injury insurance is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Return to Duke.

I do not think Giles goes in the first round at this point. I see him in the second round and at high risk of washing out of the league in a year or two if he doesn't regain more of his lost athletic ability.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If he thinks he can stay healthy next year, then he should bet on himself and return to Duke.  If he isn't so confident, then cashing in now would be a smart move for him.  I don't know as much as him about his injury situation, but I'd probably stay in school to bet on myself/finish my degree as insurance
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Return to Duke.  Try to salvage your draft stock for next year.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If he thinks he can stay healthy next year, then he should bet on himself and return to Duke.  If he isn't so confident, then cashing in now would be a smart move for him.  I don't know as much as him about his injury situation, but I'd probably stay in school to bet on myself/finish my degree as insurance

Yeah I said this in another thread, his decision will actually reveal a lot about how he feels. Coming out this year is, to me, an admission that he thinks he may not ever get close to his previous level.

And while that itself could depress his draft stock, all he needs is for one team to view him as a good gamble in the late first round. I bet he will spend all his time between now and the deadline trying to get a promise, and if he does, no matter where it is in the 1st round he will come out.

And despite how little he's shown, I have to say I would bet on him getting that promise, maybe even in the early 20s. Teams gamble on big men, even those with injury problems. We've seen it time and time again.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He should enter the draft, go through the combine and some workouts, and try to gauge where he stands.  He should not hire an agent until after the combine, but the time for his decision is then, and not today.  If he shows up at the combine healthy enough to put up some great vertical numbers, he could easily hop back into the top 10.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If he gets a promise from someone to draft him in the 1st round he should enter the draft.  Get that guaranteed money while you can.  One year's NBA salary for even the 30th pick in the draft is more than enough to pay for a college education at a later date if he washes out of the NBA.

Also, the sooner he enters the NBA the sooner he gets to that next potential contract.  And the contract after that.  Which is where the real money is.  For someone with injury concerns, you want to maximize your earning opportunities.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:37 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
He should enter the draft, go through the combine and some workouts, and try to gauge where he stands.  He should not hire an agent until after the combine, but the time for his decision is then, and not today.  If he shows up at the combine healthy enough to put up some great vertical numbers, he could easily hop back into the top 10.

This makes good sense, but if he really is healthy how do you explain is lack of production this year?  That's got to be a concern.  He just looks lost out there, and rarely impacts the game.  Reminiscent of Labissierre last year.  If you have a mid first you'd probably take him anyway as an upside gamble, but top 10 would be risky.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
 If someone takes him in the 1st round he should come out!!  Take the money and run!!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This makes good sense, but if he really is healthy how do you explain is lack of production this year?  That's got to be a concern.  He just looks lost out there, and rarely impacts the game.  Reminiscent of Labissierre last year.  If you have a mid first you'd probably take him anyway as an upside gamble, but top 10 would be risky.

His lack of production can be explained that while technically healthy (as in, not at a risk for injury) he wasn't at full strength, due to having been out for so long.  This affected his endurance and explosiveness, which meant that he didn't get many minutes most of the season.  A lack of minutes contributed to him sometimes being lost on the court.

If he shows to the combine and is really at full strength, teams will take notice.  If he plays well in the scrimmages, because he's back at full strength, that will further help him.  If he goes to some team workouts, he'll have additional chances to show teams he's more the player that he was before his injury than he was this year.  He could very well convince teams he's the best big in the draft.  The best big is almost always a top 5 pick (in the other Giles thread we looked this up and had to go back to the 60s to find a top 5 without a pure 5 or PF/C hybrid), and even if that won't be the case this year (for the first time in 50 years), the best big is still a top 10 pick.

Do I think it's likely the above will happen? No.  But I do think it's a reasonable possibility (~25% chance).  He has the potential to wow people and cruise up the draft boards.  He should give himself the chance to generate that excitement, and then evaluate if he's succeeded enough in that goal.  The scouts all saw him pre-injury, much more than any of us did, obviously.  If they see the Giles from almost two years ago that got them excited then, one of them will bite pretty early.  If he can't, of course, he should probably return to school.  But again, he's got almost three months (until June 12th) before he has to decide.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If he gets a promise from someone to draft him in the 1st round he should enter the draft.  Get that guaranteed money while you can.  One year's NBA salary for even the 30th pick in the draft is more than enough to pay for a college education at a later date if he washes out of the NBA.

Also, the sooner he enters the NBA the sooner he gets to that next potential contract.  And the contract after that.  Which is where the real money is.  For someone with injury concerns, you want to maximize your earning opportunities.

Exactly. Been saying the promise thing for awhile.

Returning to Duke is too big a risk.

There are a few teams with multiple picks that I think would be willing to give him a promise. Portland, Brooklyn and Utah all have multiple picks in the 20s.   The Fakers, Spurs and Raps are possibilities too.

He is guaranteed a 4 year contract with 2 fully guaranteed if he comes out and even if taken 30th, that's $2+mil guaranteed. He has to declare. Too risky not to. In addition, the only workouts he should do is not vs other players, but against chairs.