Author Topic: Lonzo Ball Thread (Merged)  (Read 91306 times)

Re: Lonzo Ball is in Super Elite company
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
"Super elite" - I guess we know that KGLL's true identity is Jay Bilas.

Re: Lonzo Ball is in Super Elite Star company
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He plays defense. He's the coolest basketball player I have ever seen. Nothing bothers this kid. It's impressive.

In what universe does a player with J Kidd ability and Steph Curry range and shooting % not succeed..

He gets eaten alive by anybody with a hint to explosion as a defender. He's long an athletic so he generates turnovers at the college level, but he got absolutely torched vs Fox in the UK game.

Youre talking about the first 10 minutes of that game and one play in particular where Fox broke his ankles. Big deal!

You're not the only one who feels this way (see draftexpress and the breakdown of Ball vs Fox), but I disagree with any notion that Fox dominated Ball in that game.

Ball had a rough first 10 minutes to that game, but then more than righted the ship.  Ball, through his leadership and elite court awarenesss, makes players around him better, and did that in that game.

Compare these highlights to that draftexpress vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU90eU2EejI

Fox has yet to show that he can raise teammates games and Fultz hasn't shown that he can do that yet, either.

In the Kentucky game, these were their stats:

Fox  20 pts 2 rb 9 asst 1 steal 0 block 2 TOs

Ball   14 pts 6rb 7 asst 1 steal 1 block 6 TOs (he averages 2.3 TO)

Fox's 20 points came on 8/20 shooting, not too efficient.
Balls 14 points came on 5-12 shooting.

Again, after the first 10 minutes in a very hostile Rupp arena, Ball outplayed Fox.

Fox may be the better athlete, and I think superior to Fultz and Ball in that regard, but both of them are better basketball players than Fox right now.

I'll take the winner/leader, Ball, right now over Fox and Fultz.
Fox absolutely raises his teammates games.  They're a different team offensively when he's off the court.  In yesterday's game against South Carolina, Kentucky had built up about a 20 point lead in the 1st half when Fox left the game with a twisted ankle.  The Kentucky offense collapsed and lost most of that lead by half time.  Calapari ended up having to call the plays from the sideline to get their half court offense to be functional. 

Fox did outplay Ball in their matchup.  Fox actually guarded Ball whereas Ball usually wasn't guarding Fox.  If Fox could shoot better, he'd definitely be on the level of Ball and Fultz.  He's a better athlete and a better defender.

Fox was on Ball less than half the time. Do you know who switched onto Ball..... a lot? Bam. Remember that 3 from downtown Lexington (KY) to end the first half by Ball. That was over Bam.

And Fox may be a better athlete and have the physical tools to be a better defender, but he isn't yet. Steals, blocks and positionallly because of his superior to Fox's court awareness make Ball the better defender right now.

Fox is quicker and more athletic.. Ball is the better basketball player.
Bam did get switched onto Ball quite a bit and as I recall Ball wasn't able to do much against him.  A guard having to settle for a long 3 when defended by a center isn't something to crow about. 

Fox is clearly the better defender.  Ball's best defensive plays are when he's off the ball.  When UCLA plays Washington, I wouldn't expect to see Ball guarding Fultz much.  If he does, Fultz will have a really good game. 

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'd rather have Fultz, he had an incredible game a few days ago against Colorado which pretty much sealed the deal for me. If we could get Fultz and Zizic back next year, were set to contend for the next 10 years
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Ball also has Super Elite "Length" and "Wingspan"

Not really, just wanted to say that. Shout out to my baby uncle Jay Bilas.

Re: Lonzo Ball is in Super Elite Star company
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He plays defense. He's the coolest basketball player I have ever seen. Nothing bothers this kid. It's impressive.

In what universe does a player with J Kidd ability and Steph Curry range and shooting % not succeed..

He gets eaten alive by anybody with a hint to explosion as a defender. He's long an athletic so he generates turnovers at the college level, but he got absolutely torched vs Fox in the UK game.

Youre talking about the first 10 minutes of that game and one play in particular where Fox broke his ankles. Big deal!

You're not the only one who feels this way (see draftexpress and the breakdown of Ball vs Fox), but I disagree with any notion that Fox dominated Ball in that game.

Ball had a rough first 10 minutes to that game, but then more than righted the ship.  Ball, through his leadership and elite court awarenesss, makes players around him better, and did that in that game.

Compare these highlights to that draftexpress vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU90eU2EejI

Fox has yet to show that he can raise teammates games and Fultz hasn't shown that he can do that yet, either.

In the Kentucky game, these were their stats:

Fox  20 pts 2 rb 9 asst 1 steal 0 block 2 TOs

Ball   14 pts 6rb 7 asst 1 steal 1 block 6 TOs (he averages 2.3 TO)

Fox's 20 points came on 8/20 shooting, not too efficient.
Balls 14 points came on 5-12 shooting.

Again, after the first 10 minutes in a very hostile Rupp arena, Ball outplayed Fox.

Fox may be the better athlete, and I think superior to Fultz and Ball in that regard, but both of them are better basketball players than Fox right now.

I'll take the winner/leader, Ball, right now over Fox and Fultz.
Fox absolutely raises his teammates games.  They're a different team offensively when he's off the court.  In yesterday's game against South Carolina, Kentucky had built up about a 20 point lead in the 1st half when Fox left the game with a twisted ankle.  The Kentucky offense collapsed and lost most of that lead by half time.  Calapari ended up having to call the plays from the sideline to get their half court offense to be functional. 

Fox did outplay Ball in their matchup.  Fox actually guarded Ball whereas Ball usually wasn't guarding Fox.  If Fox could shoot better, he'd definitely be on the level of Ball and Fultz.  He's a better athlete and a better defender.

Fox was on Ball less than half the time. Do you know who switched onto Ball..... a lot? Bam. Remember that 3 from downtown Lexington (KY) to end the first half by Ball. That was over Bam.

And Fox may be a better athlete and have the physical tools to be a better defender, but he isn't yet. Steals, blocks and positionallly because of his superior to Fox's court awareness make Ball the better defender right now.

Fox is quicker and more athletic.. Ball is the better basketball player.
Bam did get switched onto Ball quite a bit and as I recall Ball wasn't able to do much against him.  A guard having to settle for a long 3 when defended by a center isn't something to crow about. 

Fox is clearly the better defender.  Ball's best defensive plays are when he's off the ball.  When UCLA plays Washington, I wouldn't expect to see Ball guarding Fultz much.  If he does, Fultz will have a really good game.

I'm looking forward to that match-up too (Feb 4th in Seattle and March 1st at Pauley), but I'm not sure how much it will tell us about either. Ball has so much more talent around him, that it's almost a lose-lose for him. For Fultz, his team is so crappy, that it'll be a win-win.

At least when UCLA won at Rupp, talent-wise, they were closely matched. What impressed me about Ball and UCLA that game was their composure playing at Rupp. That place is like a torture chamber and UCLA snapped a 42 game KY win streak there, led by Ball. 

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 I'm actually not that impressed with UCLA's talent. They do a great job of playing together.

They were exposed against Arizona and there coach.

TJ leaf is good but he's skinny and he didn't show up vs Arizona. They need Leaf if they are going to make a run in the tournament.

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm actually not that impressed with UCLA's talent. They do a great job of playing together.

TJ leaf is good but he's skinny and he didn't show up vs Arizona. They need Leaf if they are going to make a run in the tournament.

TP, good points, I agree. Aside from Ball and Leaf, Holiday (a role player) and Alford (mature, senior) are their best players and will never sniff the draft.

"Zona on the other hand has 4 players who will likely get drafted this year or next.
)Markkanen, Alkins, Trier, Kobe Simmons).

They have a lot of talent and as you alluded to, a good coach. They could go far in the NCAAs.

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

TP, good points, I agree. Aside from Ball and Leaf, Holiday (a role player) and Alford (mature, senior) are their best players and will never sniff the draft.

"Zona on the other hand has 4 players who will likely get drafted this year or next.
)Markkanen, Alkins, Trier, Kobe Simmons).

They have a lot of talent and as you alluded to, a good coach. They could go far in the NCAAs.

+1 back at you Bro.

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Just so you guys know, there must be a glitch in Draftexpress site. Ball is listed at 6'6 on his profile card, but under measurements he measures in around 6'4 with shoes. Him and Fultz are approximately the same height.

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Just so you guys know, there must be a glitch in Draftexpress site. Ball is listed at 6'6 on his profile card, but under measurements he measures in around 6'4 with shoes. Him and Fultz are approximately the same height.

Are you sure? I thought Ball was 6'6. Wow that makes a huge difference for me. He really is strictly a PG then and now I'm worried if he will be able to get his shot off due to his low release.

ESPN has him at 6'6 too....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066421/lonzo-ball

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Are you sure? I thought Ball was 6'6. Wow that makes a huge difference for me. He really is strictly a PG then and now I'm worried if he will be able to get his shot off due to his low release.

ESPN has him at 6'6 too....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066421/lonzo-ball
actually looking back at the dates listed on draft express, the most recent measurement was around 2 years ago. so his height at 6'6 might be true, but there doesnt seem to be any official measurement past October 2014.

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 12:00:25 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

"Tremendous winner with upside feel for the game!"

TP.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:39 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

"Tremendous winner with upside feel for the game!"

TP.

+1 Back at Cha

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 12:48:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

At the end of the video it shows him nailing three's from 30 plus feet.

Kid's got insane range.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=rBb_Y0lZNL8

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
When people compare him to J Kidd, do they take into account his defensive ability? Because Kidd was dominant defensively as well. Is Ball a dominant defensive player? Or are people just talking about passing ability?
How good was Kidd's defense as a freshman in college?