Author Topic: Is there a causation between Kentucky and lack of winning in the NBA?  (Read 4904 times)

Re: Is there a causation between Kentucky and lack of winning in the NBA?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Part of the problem is that you're unfairly labeling players as being unsuccessful when it's not warranted. You conceded that Davis and Wall have both made the playoffs. If we're going strictly off team success, Kanter was a rotation player for a playoff team last year. Aside from that, the rest of it is what others have said: it's crazy early into their careers and many of these guys are playing for terrible teams.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 12:03:17 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 614
Kentucky players who've won championship as a player:

- Pat Riley
- Antoine Walker
- Tayshaun Prince
- Rajon Rondo

Duke is just as bad if not worse than Kentucky, if we talking about winning basketball

Duke players who won in the NBA.

- Kyrie Irving
- Shane Battier
- Dahntay Jones

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 12:09:50 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
How about comparing with other colleges that significant numbers drafted high in the draft? Then we can better conclude if this is a Kentuck thing or not
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 12:55:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Funny that's actually my dream Frontcourt for the Celtics.

Cousins Town's WCS
 Davis Noel Kanter

These bigs with our guards would be awesome.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Uh do u think it has something to do with being drafted by p--- poor teams and 1 player does not a team make?  Duh.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A causation as opposed to a correlation? So....what team would have the causation of winning?

That would be Davidson right?  Does Davidson have 100% of its NBA players wearing rings and winning MVPs?

Sorry I guess I tripped over the words and I can't tell over the internet if you are being crass.

Im just asking if there is any reason to believe that while JC can showcase these guys for the NBA, he doesn't give them any of the necessary skills to succeed in the nba.
No I was serious. If Kentucky causes a lack of NBA championships which team causes them?

I suppose you'd have to say UNC and the University of San Francisco.

And actually Kentucky is pretty high on the list and University of Minnesota is way higher than I would have thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4fyem6/college_basketball_programs_that_have_produced/

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
There does seem to be a lack of leadership + understanding of how to play within a team structure in that group of Kentucky players.

But that may be due to younger draft players and a league-wide issue than specifically a Kentucky issue.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 11:36:46 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
My opinion on the connection: Kentucky players usually go high in the draft, teams that draft high are bad, bad teams don't make the playoffs.

Or

Kentucky players usually go high in the draft, teams that draft high are often poorly run, poorly run teams rarely make the playoffs.

This is what I always thought as well. Yet I can't get past the fact that literally none of the top picks are able to help their team really win meaningful games. You would think a few of the teams would be able to pull something together. If MKG is the only high pick to win a few games it just seems very unlikely that this is only due to the horrible teams.

But it does kind of say something about the treadmill of awful that the bottom teams go through.

Give it a few years, once AD is free, KAT is in his prime, Noel/WCS are role players on decent teams, Booker gets some help, and Wall is out of that stink bomb in Washington they'll win.

Last year was the first year where they really didn't have that much NBA talent IMO. Skal and Murray are pretty mediocre.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

- Pat Riley
- Antoine Walker
- Tayshaun Prince
- Rajon Rondo

Duke is just as bad if not worse than Kentucky, if we talking about winning basketball

- Kyrie Irving
- Shane Battier
- Dahntay Jones
To be fair, Kentucky really loads up on top prospects way beyond what Duke does.

Nevertheless, championships are hard. And not many teams win them. Among those players, 5 weren't even top 3 on their teams that won. I actually have no idea how good Riley was as a player, and Kyrie was the second best player on the Cavs.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

- Pat Riley
- Antoine Walker
- Tayshaun Prince
- Rajon Rondo

- Kyrie Irving
- Shane Battier
- Dahntay Jones
Those lists are far from complete.  Nazr Mohammed, for example, was the starting center on the 04/05 Spurs team that won a title.  Derek Anderson was on the 05/06 Miami team.  Dan Issel and Louie Dampier both won ABA titles.  Not quite the same thing as a NBA title, but not that far off either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip