Author Topic: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3  (Read 11683 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown the right choice at #3
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Bender was sand bagging the preseason.  10 points in 12 minutes with 2 boards. 

Wade Baldwin played well: 7 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists.  And how about Pascal Siakam 9 rebounds in 22 minutes, just 4 points but he didn't miss a shot. 

Of course the clear front runner for ROY was drafted 3 drafts ago as Embiid continued his stellar scoring from the preseason.

As you know I love Embiid. But at least keep in mind he shot atrocious last night. Okafor was better offensively last year. Embiid has the potential to be better on both ends though.
Every time I check out an Embiid boxscore he takes a ton of shots in limited minutes and hits a poor percentage of them.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can we get a nickname for Jaylen? After watching almost posterize Hamilton last night, I say "Throw it down, Jaylen Brown" should be in the running.

Jaylen reminds me of a cobra lol...

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
Brown s game reminds me of Kobe in his early years.  Smooth and confident beyond his years. Some of his fakes and twists are remind me so much of Kobe.

He fills the need for the athletic small forward .....like Pierce ...someone who can go get a bucket at the end of a game.  Crowder is a great defender , but not a go to type guy.

In a couple years Brown may well be our go to guy the last minute of the game .  IT is overwhelmed by size in those situations .  Brown can go under or over the top to get his bucket or foul shots .  He just s needs a decent outside shot to really put the pressure on his defender.   

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Bender was sand bagging the preseason.  10 points in 12 minutes with 2 boards. 

Wade Baldwin played well: 7 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists.  And how about Pascal Siakam 9 rebounds in 22 minutes, just 4 points but he didn't miss a shot. 

Of course the clear front runner for ROY was drafted 3 drafts ago as Embiid continued his stellar scoring from the preseason.

As you know I love Embiid. But at least keep in mind he shot atrocious last night. Okafor was better offensively last year. Embiid has the potential to be better on both ends though.
Every time I check out an Embiid boxscore he takes a ton of shots in limited minutes and hits a poor percentage of them.
He is rusty sure, but even last night he scored 1.25 points per shot, which isn't great, but isn't terrible either, as he went to the line 8 times hitting 7 of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Can we get a nickname for Jaylen? After watching almost posterize Hamilton last night, I say "Throw it down, Jaylen Brown" should be in the running.

The Future

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think one of the things that we have to remember when scouting players like Brown and other freshmen is that many scouts have been looking at these kids for years while the general public bases their opinion largely on what they have seen at the college level.

Jaylen is a classic example of that. Having seen him in HS and in College I can certainly say that some of the things he is doing now never showed up in college such as his passing and baseline post up which were things you saw at the HS level. I cant speak for his Team USA experience.

Anyways, I guess my point of this post is guys like Jay Bilas are always stuck on what they saw in college because they have never seen the guy in HS. That's not to say discard what you saw at college but only to say that many of the pundits can lead us wrong in determining the value of a player because its only on what they have seen in college and then group think kicks in.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
I think one of the things that we have to remember when scouting players like Brown and other freshmen is that many scouts have been looking at these kids for years while the general public bases their opinion largely on what they have seen at the college level.

Jaylen is a classic example of that. Having seen him in HS and in College I can certainly say that some of the things he is doing now never showed up in college such as his passing and baseline post up which were things you saw at the HS level. I cant speak for his Team USA experience.

Anyways, I guess my point of this post is guys like Jay Bilas are always stuck on what they saw in college because they have never seen the guy in HS. That's not to say discard what you saw at college but only to say that many of the pundits can lead us wrong in determining the value of a player because its only on what they have seen in college and then group think kicks in.

I really think JBs game suffers when he plays with bums, so to speak. His best percentages have come when he isnt forcing the action, which he did a lot at Cal and somewhat during summer league. If Jaylen played for Duke or Kentucky, Im willing to bet his Freshman year would have gone much differently.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442

The Future
What will we call him when he's old?  The Past?

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The Future

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

The Future

LOL

to be fair KG was the kid before he was the big ticket ;)

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Good for Danny to understand (like you stated) that Brown was forcing the issue playing with a bad team. Surrounded by similar talent he is playing "naturally"... he was also good during the mcdonalds all star game

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

The Future
*Past Perfect

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum

Watching "The Future" never gets old  8)

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Brown s game reminds me of Kobe in his early years.  Smooth and confident beyond his years. Some of his fakes and twists are remind me so much of Kobe.

He fills the need for the athletic small forward .....like Pierce ...someone who can go get a bucket at the end of a game.  Crowder is a great defender , but not a go to type guy.

In a couple years Brown may well be our go to guy the last minute of the game .  IT is overwhelmed by size in those situations .  Brown can go under or over the top to get his bucket or foul shots .  He just s needs a decent outside shot to really put the pressure on his defender.
  From the first time I saw him play, Kobe jumped out to me. Once he starts hitting his outside shots, the sky is the limit for JB!!

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum

From the first time I saw him play, Kobe jumped out to me. Once he starts hitting his outside shots, the sky is the limit for JB!!

I see flashes in play style, but I dont see JB as the volume scorer Kobe was. I peg JB as a Scottie Pippen type, with Kobes signature flair.