Author Topic: Has our roster reached the tipping point?  (Read 5109 times)

Re: Has our roster reached the tipping point?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm not sure where the excessive confidence about the bench comes from.

Smart is a nice defensive role player, but is unreliable at best offensively.  Terry Rozier has yet to really play much or produce at the NBA level.  Jaylen Brown is a raw teenager.  Gerald Green is an itchy-trigger-finger shooter who shot below 33% from deep last year.  Jonas Jerebko is a solid jack-of-all-trades combo forward, an acceptable plug-in who doesn't do anything especially well.  Kelly Olynyk is a useful and versatile PF/C with range, but he will still be recovering from shoulder surgery for the first part of the season.  Tyler Zeller is a matchup-dependent backup center.

The talent on the bench is remarkable.  But there are a lot of question marks.
Our bench is one of the best in the league. IMO only GSW has a clearly superior bench.

As a Celtics fan your opinion is super biased.

After losing Turner we can only assume our bench got worse.

That is unless your factoring in production from unproven players like Rozier and Brown and improvement from Smart.

CBS must have a whole squad of Celtics fans writing on the NBA for them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-all-30-nba-benches-a-non-playoff-team-secures-top-spot/
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Smart is a nice defensive role player, but is unreliable at best offensively.  Terry Rozier has yet to really play much or produce at the NBA level.  Jaylen Brown is a raw teenager.  Gerald Green is an itchy-trigger-finger shooter who shot below 33% from deep last year.  Jonas Jerebko is a solid jack-of-all-trades combo forward, an acceptable plug-in who doesn't do anything especially well.  Kelly Olynyk is a useful and versatile PF/C with range, but he will still be recovering from shoulder surgery for the first part of the season.  Tyler Zeller is a matchup-dependent backup center.

Our bench is one of the best in the league. IMO only GSW has a clearly superior bench.

That is unless your factoring in production from unproven players like Rozier and Brown and improvement from Smart.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-all-30-nba-benches-a-non-playoff-team-secures-top-spot/
I've read this a day ago. Looks more like a Utah fan to me  ;D

And in any case, it is far from the best piece of online sports journalism.

Back to the point, our bench is pretty good. Certainly above average, and arguably top-5. Smart, Rozier, Green, Olynyk, Jerebko and Zeller is nothing to scoff at as a second unit - and then you have this year's rookies - no one knows how much they will be able to help, but if a couple of them prove serviceable, then our bench will look even better.

Depth is not our problem. Far from it.

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

ESPN ranked us the #3 bench in the league, and they didnt even account for Rozier.

Also its not ridiculous at all to to account for production from Rozier and Brown and to expect improvement from the 21 year old.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't agree with it all either.  Utah I didn't get.  But I think we have one of the stronger benches and depth is one of the teams strengths for sure.  That was the case last year flat out.  Not much to argue.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 08:38:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Back to the point, our bench is pretty good. Certainly above average, and arguably top-5. Smart, Rozier, Green, Olynyk, Jerebko and Zeller is nothing to scoff at as a second unit - and then you have this year's rookies - no one knows how much they will be able to help, but if a couple of them prove serviceable, then our bench will look even better.

[dang], I thought ESPN made this list. Worth noting they dont even  mention Rozier.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

[dang], I thought ESPN made this list. Worth noting they dont even  mention Rozier.
It's CBS sports.
There are two things I did not like about the article. They only had 5 players from each team's bench (or rather: non-starters)
And second, they did not give any criteria for their ranking. How did they rank the teams? Quality of the players available? Depth in all positions? How well the bench complements the starters? Chemistry? The analysis was minimal.