Author Topic: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon  (Read 111667 times)

Re: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
SB nation website analysis of potential trade of westbrook and/or Griffin

Likelihood of happening: 3/10

While it's completely understandable for opposing executives to speculate about the Celtics as the best landing spot for these superstars, there are no real reports of ongoing talks. In fact, Boston has not engaged the Thunder or the Clippers in a while, according to Bulpett. Right now, nothing seems imminent.

The Celtics have also been erring in the side of caution when trying to engineer trades. Suddenly putting all their chips on the table in a deal for impending free agents seems out of character.

Boston will surely sniff around looking to make a move, so expect plenty more rumors like these to come. The circumstances just are not ideal for a big trade right now. Things could change, of course, but as of now, it doesn't seem like a big move is coming.

Is this what SB nation is saying or what you're saying?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
SB nation website analysis of potential trade of westbrook and/or Griffin

Likelihood of happening: 3/10

While it's completely understandable for opposing executives to speculate about the Celtics as the best landing spot for these superstars, there are no real reports of ongoing talks. In fact, Boston has not engaged the Thunder or the Clippers in a while, according to Bulpett. Right now, nothing seems imminent.

The Celtics have also been erring in the side of caution when trying to engineer trades. Suddenly putting all their chips on the table in a deal for impending free agents seems out of character.

Boston will surely sniff around looking to make a move, so expect plenty more rumors like these to come. The circumstances just are not ideal for a big trade right now. Things could change, of course, but as of now, it doesn't seem like a big move is coming.
kozlodoev nation website analysis of potential trade of westbrook and/or Griffin

Likelihood of happening: 1.625/10

It's an arbitrary number, but then again so has been everything else.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Obvious now why Ainge moved those two seconds for that future clips pick. Negotiations have obviously been ongoing for a while and due to the Stepien rule that clips pick holds more value to doc and lac than anyone else.

Good spot.  Well done.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Obvious now why Ainge moved those two seconds for that future clips pick. Negotiations have obviously been ongoing for a while and due to the Stepien rule that clips pick holds more value to doc and lac than anyone else.

Good spot.  Well done.

So what you're saying is THE pick that we may very well have to deal will just be LAC's own pick? If this happens, Ainge is a genius.

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Thoughts on this
1. I'm extremely skeptical of a report that on one hand says a deal is close and on the other indicates we won't give up a Brooklyn pick. I just don't believe we can get a deal done without a least one Brooklyn pick.

2. The idea of Rudy Gay as part of the deal makes me happy. If LAC adds Gay then I think there is a higher chance we can keep Crowder

3. I expect Bradley to be the best player we trade away, maybe I'm reading too much into the fact that he didn't come to the Durant or the Horford meeting.

4. The C's can create around $12.5 MM in cap space by sending Zizic and Yabu overseas, pulling Zeller's QO and waiving John Holland. I think this could play a factor in a deal.

5. People are sleeping on Blake. We haven't had anyone like him in transition in a long time. He's a plus rebounder which we need (his numbers have recently dipped due to playing with DeAndre). Griffin can handle the ball, create for others and is probably better than any player on the C's in the pick and roll since I've been alive. He's underrated on the defensive end becauseh e came into the league as a poor defender.

6. Here is a trade I think makes sense for everyone, I'm not sure which picks we would need to send where though
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=j2m953n

Agree with most everyhting here Evantime... a few additions/departures:

1. While LAC would love to get a BKN #1 -- their window is now (and their GM is in win-now mode) so I don't think it's inconceivable that they value quantity/quality of players coming back over "the future".

2. For SAC I think they'd be fine largely to just move on from Gay, but would be smart to clear "bad" contracts or redundant players off their books for the trouble of helping out. Though their front office isn't the most dynamic, so who knows.

Therefore I'm curious if something like this wouldn't satifsy all parties:

LAC IN: Rudy Gay, Avery Bradley, Jonas Jerebko, LAC 2019 #1, LAC 2017 #2
LAC OUT: Blake Griffin, Paul Pierce

Bradley might a bit redundant, but maybe LAC then moves JJ Reddick or flips Bradley for a backup big and a future #1; they shore up the SF spot, and add flexibility to go with more 3 guard (CP, JJ, AB) lineups with either a traditional big (Speights, Brice Johnson) at 4 or guys like Gay/Jerebko the 4 with DeAndre.

SAC IN: Terry Rozier, Amir Johnson, James Young, RJ Hunter, BOS 2018 or 2019 #1
SAC OUT: Rudy Gay, Kosta Koufos, Ben McLemore

IMO LAC and SAC could swap out some combo of Bradley/Rozier/Amir/Jerebko. I think LAC would value getting a bench and SAC would like a good young PG (where they only have Collison) and clear out playing time for Afflalo and Richardson by dealing McLemore and get Koufos' redundant salary off their books.

BOS IN: Griffin, Koufos, McLemore, Pierce
BOS OUT: Bradley, Amir, Rozier, Young, Hunter, BOS 2018 or 2019 #1, LAC 2019 #1, LAC 2017 #2

Other poss. pieces to include:

-- MIN 2017 #2
-- 2017 swap: This is just an idea... but PHI has the right to swap picks with SAC next year. We could propose that (say Top 2 protected) SAC has the right to swap with us AFTER PHI exercises thier right. The worst we'd end up with is PHI or SAC's pick... neither will be much worse than BKN's if we protect it top 2, but it's a little incentive for SAC. Maybe too big a gamble for us -- but better than moving the BKN pick altogether.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:05:58 PM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

TP

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215

I doubt that negotiations were going on before Ainge made that trade, and I don't know that Ainge was thinking about it when he made the trade, but you are spot on about how much more valuable it is to the Clippers.  That could actually be a really important part of the negotiations
I'm bitter.

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
If Ainge is to ship Bradley, I expect to get a SG replacement back in addition to Blake Griffin.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
UNVERIFIED REPORT:

According to this guy Mike, there is an agreement:

Deadmik3™ ‏@StonewallSieve  9s9 seconds ago Watertown, MA
#Griffin to the #Celtics for Johnson, Bradley & the 2018 Brooklyn Nets pick. Details are being fine-tuned. Expect official announcement soon

Take it for what it's worth.

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
WE GOT HIM! HOLY ****!

[dang], we gave away AB.

« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »

Offline Royrebirth

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Lets see what happens......

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Where would we hear "legitimate" reports is my question.

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Where would we hear "legitimate" reports is my question.

Twitter.com/crotor
Twitter.com/thedeliguy_nba
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
WHERE IS THE WOJ BOMB

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
UNVERIFIED REPORT:

According to this guy Mike, there is an agreement:

Deadmik3™ ‏@StonewallSieve  9s9 seconds ago Watertown, MA
#Griffin to the #Celtics for Johnson, Bradley & the 2018 Brooklyn Nets pick. Details are being fine-tuned. Expect official announcement soon

Take it for what it's worth.
I thought this guy was in Las Vegas for "scout school", and he's now posting from Watertown, MA? LOL
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."